Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a while now my 99 Camry whistles when diving. The whistle undressed and decreases in pitch when transmission is shifting. It's related to the RPMs actually since the pitch is higher with high RPMs and lower with low RPMs. Should I be worry? Tranny shifts like new at 190K. What could that be? Can it be fixed?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Maybe move the roof rack cross bar back where the arrow shows when not in use. The further the cross bar is from the front, the less it will make noises. The whistling noise is just wind drag.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Does it whistle when you parked? Or when you start the car? Step on the gas few times when parked, could be as simple as belt or pulleys.. if that is rpm related

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe move the roof rack cross bar back where the arrow shows when not in use. The further the cross bar is from the front, the less it will make noises. The whistling noise is just wind drag.
It could be, BUT the whistle pitch increases and decreases with transmission shifting so when on first gear car accelerates the pitch is getting higher until it shifts to a second gear and the pitch lowers immediately when the car shifts to a second gear. Is it possible that transmission would whistle some how?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it whistle when you parked? Or when you start the car? Step on the gas few times when parked, could be as simple as belt or pulleys.. if that is rpm related
I've checked it already and Yes it does whistle quietly while idling but as soon as I start driving the pitch of the whistle increases GRADUALLY until shifting to a second gear when then the sound lowers in pitch immediately and then starts gradually increasing in pitch until another gear shifting. It sounds like its related to the tranny or the RPS's some how.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Did you check level of transmission fluid.. i believe in 1999 Camry you can still check it. Sometimes low level of tranny fluid can cause that whistle type of noise.. but usually referred as whining, not whistling haha

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've checked it already and Yes it does whistle quietly while idling but as soon as I start driving the pitch of the whistle increases GRADUALLY until shifting to a second gear when then the sound lowers in pitch immediately and then starts gradually increasing in pitch until another gear shifting. It sounds like its related to the tranny or the RPS's some how.
Can you step on the gas couple of times while parked, have hood open and see if level of whistling increases as rpm go up.. if it does, do a simple test, spray belts with water, if sound changes or goes away, replace the belt(s), could be just that

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you check level of transmission fluid.. i believe in 1999 Camry you can still check it. Sometimes low level of tranny fluid can cause that whistle type of noise.. but usually referred as whining, not whistling haha
Yes the Fluid level is at max while hot, but really this sounds way more like whistle than whining. Belts are maybe 6 months old by Bando so I can't see them going bad already, besides while idling and raising the RPMs the sound doesn't change while parked only while driving. I did a google search and some say that old cars whistle sometimes, lol not sure what causes them to whistle though if that is true.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Does the whistle noise occur whether the A/C is running or not running? In a previous vehicle I had that sort of noise and it was RPM-determined and occurred only when the A/C was running. Turned out to be the expansion valve in the A/C system. The valve was replaced and there was no further whistle noise.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does the whistle noise occur whether the A/C is running or not running? In a previous vehicle I had that sort of noise and it was RPM-determined and occurred only when the A/C was running. Turned out to be the expansion valve in the A/C system. The valve was replaced and there was no further whistle noise.
Good question. Put it that way, when it whistles while the a/c is running it will not stop just because I turned the a/c off. Also, when it doesn't whistle, it will not start whistling when the a/c been engaged. This morning when diving to work 20 miles I didn't hear anything. So it's definitely intermittent and driving me crazy. How easy is to change the expension valve in the ac system?

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
So it's definitely intermittent and driving me crazy. How easy is to change the expension valve in the ac system?

Sorry that I don't know the answer to your query. My expansion valve was changed by the dealer' service dept. under warranty. Good luck in getting the problem sorted out - must be very annoying!

Reactions: DPFAST
1 - 12 of 12 Posts