Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post only the following:
1) miles per tank (given that this forum originated in the US, please convert all kilometers to miles: http://www.factmonster.com/pages/unitconversion.html?qty=250&fromopts=mile&toopts=kilometer&unittype=linear&grp=common&convert.x=51&convert.y=13).
The number we're looking for is around 15-25 miles after your orange fuel warning light turns on.
2) transmission auto or manual
3) 4wd or 2wd
4) engine size 2.0L? or larger?
5) diesel fuel? or regular unleaded?

Forget street versus freeway.
Forget modifications you've done to your engine.

MINE:
1) 240-285 miles per tank
2) automatic
3) 4wd
4) 2.0L
5) Regular unleaded

M

·
0 Posts
zoomie said:
given that this forum originated in the US, please convert all kilometers to miles:
What's wrong with both? That way we all can read units that we are familiar with, and nobody has to convert miles to kilometres to read other peoples postings.

1) 554-576km per tank (346-360 miles)
- 11.1 km/ℓ, 9ℓ/100 (26.3mpg)
2) manual
3) 4wd
4) 2.0ℓ - 1AZ-FE

·
Registered
214 Posts
zoomie said:
Post only the following:
1) miles per tank (given that this forum originated in the US, please convert all kilometers to miles: http://www.factmonster.com/pages/unitconversion.html?qty=250&fromopts=mile&toopts=kilometer&unittype=linear&grp=common&convert.x=51&convert.y=13).
The number we're looking for is around 15-25 miles after your orange fuel warning light turns on.
Kind of hard to do for those of us who will never willingly let the RAV4 get below 1/4 tank.

Doing the fill up/divide the miles by the gallons replaced to determine mileage trick, I am averaging 26.4 miles per gallon, or rather;

26.4 x 14.2 (size of tank) = 374.8 miles per tank
2.4 liter
manual, fwd

T

·
0 Posts
1)high side (rare) 298 miles/tank or 479 km/tank
21 mpg or 8.88km/l
low side (common) 238 miles/tank or 383 km/tank
16.7 mpg or 7.09 km/l

2) auto
3) 4wd
4) 2.0L
5)charcoal canister
6)NYC area

I might as well learn metric since I have to teach my daughter metric measurements and is being taught in American schools.

http://members.localnet.com/~jgeorge/metric.htm

T

·
0 Posts
metric conversion calculation

Am I converting my numbers correctly from the American system to the metric system. I just saw a post where a person said they're getting 8.7L/100km which equals 27 mpg. I wrote that I got 8.8L/km. I know I must be doing some of the calculations correct, while others are wrong.

Here's what I have:
298 miles = 479 km
14.2 gals = 53.95 litres

298 miles/14.2 gals = 20.99 miles/gal
479 km/53.95 litres = 8.88 km/litre

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I think some of the metric confusion has to do with the fact that the metric measurement for fuel economy is litres per 100 km (L/100 km) not kilometres per litre. For people used to thinking of miles per gallon, this probably seems strange, but that's the way it is. With L/100 km the lower the number, the better the fuel economy, exactly the opposite of with mpg.

8.7 L/100 km is 27 mpg.

21 mpg is 11.2 L/100 km.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
nouse4aname: 360mpg at least before gas light comes on??? What's your secret? Is highway driving what you do the most? I get at the most 345mpg and that's way after the light is on :?

1) 325 - 345 miles per tank
2) Automatic
3) 2WD
4) 2.0L

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
zoomie said:
More than a couple of you 4wd folks are getting more 100 more miles per tank than I am. Hmm, is something wrong with my car? 360 miles/tank just seems outrageously high!
Sure seems like it. You're getting the kind of mileage I used to get out of my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Although AWD, auto, and San Fran will tax any vehicle.

The reason we got the RAV is because it's such a gas sipper for an SUV. Gets slightly better mileage than the Focus it replaced.

E

·
0 Posts
I haven't yet done the calculations, as per instructed, but based on my own calculations, I get about 8.5 to 9 L/100 Km (about 26 to 27.5 MPG) during mostly-highway driving (vacations, etc.) and 10.5 to 11 L/100 Km (21 to 22.5 MPG) during mostly commuting. My L/100 Km calculations are very close to the Transport Canada numbers that Toyota listed on the 2004 RAV4 brochure.

I had to do some recalculation for converting L/100 Km to MPG because the MPG numbers used in the 2004 RAV4 brochure uses UK gallons (about 4.4 litres), not US gallons (3.785 litres).

nouse4aname said:
The reason we got the RAV is because it's such a gas sipper for an SUV. Gets slightly better mileage than the Focus it replaced.
My RAV4 burns only slightly more gas than the 1995 Tercel it replaced. I'm still mesmerized by how fuel-efficient the RAV4 is, considering vehicle and engine size. I guess I don't regret trading in the Tercel after all. :lol:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Mine is:

1. 270 to 295 miles per tank most of the year
2. Manual
3. 4WD
4. 2.4L

I'm generally pretty happy with that, especially since I tend to jump off the line pretty quick. :twisted: I'm not so happy in the winter months when that drops to around 190 or 200 miles per tank! I do understand the reasons why it happens though. Same thing happened with my 4.1.

I think my most ever on a tank was when we were bringing her home from the dealer in Boston, obviously 100% highway. I didn't keep a log or anything, but IIRC there were a couple of tanks on that trip where I was over 300 miles, like 310 to 320.

Becky

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i just realized that some of you are using diesel fuel who are outside of the US. Please edit your post and include whether or not you are in fact using diesel fuel. It would be a bit cleaner and easier to read if you edited rather than reposted. I'm sure all of us will appreciate that.

S

·
0 Posts
Mine seems about avg to good
530-580kms(330-360 miles) per tank(avg 9L/100km)
5 speed
AWD
2.0L
I am very pleased considering the ravs benefits(AWD!!!), but I wish the diesel was available in North America though, i would switch in a minute.A little taller 5th gear might help a bit oin the highway, but I guess there is not quite enough torque to [email protected]

P

·
0 Posts
- new (1600 kms) 05 Chili, gas, auto
- best tank so far - 418 kms
- city driving

I really expect better, and hopefully with a bit more breaking in it will be. Am I impatient? Should I expect better right away?

Thx all - great forum.

P.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts