Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was under the car yesterday checking a few things while I was swapping in winter tires. Wanted to check the diff oil. Went to pull the fill plug. Cleaned the dirt out of the fill plug and inserted the 10mm allen. Built up a short extension and put my long 3/8" drive wrench on it. Made sure the tool was bottom and gave the wrench a pull. Moved but did not feel right. Immediately knew it slipped. Not too bad but I did not want to try again.

What should I do next.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Aways hammer in the Allen Hex Bit socket into the hole

That almost happen to me when I did mine this summer. The problem is that there is rust in the allen bolt hole which is why I prefer a hex bolt instead. Anyway the thing I did was not push my luck turning and trying to damage the fill bolt hole more. I then decided to hammer the allen hex bit socket so it was all the way inside the hole. When I turn the ratchet the position was much different so I knew it was all the way in. I got the fill bolt out and it was only slightly damaged. I drain and then refilled the rear differential and tighten the bolt with anti-seize grease. (not too tight)
Later I went to buy a new fill bolt and replaced the old one. The first dealer said they did not have any and 5 are backed ordered so I bet many people could be screwing up the fill bolt.

So the lesson is always hammer the allen hex socket because the rust can cause you to strip a drain or fill bolt when it can not go all the way inside the hole.

·
Registered
419 Posts
..........Later I went to buy a new fill bolt and replaced the old one. The first dealer said they did not have any and 5 are backed ordered so I bet many people could be screwing up the fill bolt.
^^ Magnetic Drain Plugs by Dimple® // Made in the USA
- M12x1.25x12 Magnetic Drain Plug for Toyota
- Protect your Toyota or Lexus engine with this powerful magnetic drain plug from Dimple Products.
- This fits the majority of Toyota and Lexus engines, with exceptions noted below.
$34.95 Magnetic Drain Plugs for Toyota/Lexus Automobiles

Attachments

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
^^ Magnetic Drain Plugs by Dimple® // Made in the USA
- M12x1.25x12 Magnetic Drain Plug for Toyota
- Protect your Toyota or Lexus engine with this powerful magnetic drain plug from Dimple Products.
- This fits the majority of Toyota and Lexus engines, with exceptions noted below.
$34.95 Magnetic Drain Plugs for Toyota/Lexus Automobiles
That is insane to pay $35 for a drain plug. With exchange and shipping it will probably be $50 CAD. I think some of the drain bolts are magnetic on the vehicle already.

·
Registered
419 Posts
That is insane to pay $35 for a drain plug. With exchange and shipping it will probably be $50 CAD. I think some of the drain bolts are magnetic on the vehicle already.
DIMPLE Canadian Dealer (Alex) is in Whitby, ON. - only $35 Cdn...3 items & free shipping incl.
- I bought the magnets, mainly for my mint 2000 4Runner SR5 v6 4x4 ... currently at 137,700 Km
- gonna make it last another 20 years, with wax-oil spray undercoating
- so the wife's v6 RAV4, had to have one to

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
DIMPLE Canadian Dealer (Alex) is in Whitby, ON. - only $35 Cdn...3 items & free shipping incl.
- I bought the magnets, mainly for my mint 2000 4Runner SR5 v6 4x4 ... currently at 137,700 Km
- gonna make it last another 20 years, with wax-oil spray undercoating
- so the wife's v6 RAV4, had to have one to

To solve those Toyota bolts with Allen hex hole is just use a hammer to ensure the Allen Hex socket goes all the way in. The rust always causes problems inside the hole. Hopefully MrPulldown fixed his problem. Those fancy magnetic bolts are too expensive in my book.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not done anything yet. Good thing I did not drop the diff fluid first. Always follow the RULE of: OPEN FILL PLUG THEN DRAIN FLUID.

Anyone know the thread pitch of the fill plug. Am going to try to find a flanged hex bolt to replace.

I agree too expensive for a magnetic fill bolt. The last one I bought for my motorcycle I paid $5.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I have not done anything yet. Good thing I did not drop the diff fluid first. Always follow the RULE of: OPEN FILL PLUG THEN DRAIN FLUID.

Anyone know the thread pitch of the fill plug. Am going to try to find a flanged hex bolt to replace.

I agree too expensive for a magnetic fill bolt. The last one I bought for my motorcycle I paid $5.
I have an old differential fill bolt and will see if I can match that up with a brand new hex bolt I have. I have a hex bolt that can be used for the transmission drain bolt so hope it is the same. Will get back later.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Allen Hex Bolt to Standard Hex Bolt for Rear Differential Fill Bolt

Ok MrPulldown I checked my old dfferential fill bolt and I was surprised to find it match my old and new transmission drain bolt. The thread diameter are the same using a brand new crush washer it fits both exactly. The differential fill bolt thread length is 10 mm but you should be able to use one longer than that. I have a Dorman Part #65220 that fits the differential fill bolt. It is a M18-1.50 size bolt so any bolt with that size should work (not too long). I got this bolt from Rockauto ($1.34 USD)which is the lowest price I could find. If anyone is in Canada I also happen to see it at Canadian Tire for $3.50 I think. So if anyone wants to swap different fill bolts from a Allen head to a regular hex head then this should work.

Something to note is that factory transmission Allen drain bolt hole is a little deeper that the factory Allen differential fill bolt hole.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok MrPulldown I checked my old dfferential fill bolt and I was surprised to find it match my old and new transmission drain bolt. The thread diameter are the same using a brand new crush washer it fits both exactly. The differential fill bolt thread length is 10 mm but you should be able to use one longer than that. I have a Dorman Part #65220 that fits the differential fill bolt. It is a M18-1.50 size bolt so any bolt with that size should work (not too long). I got this bolt from Rockauto ($1.34 USD)which is the lowest price I could find. If anyone is in Canada I also happen to see it at Canadian Tire for $3.50 I think. So if anyone wants to swap different fill bolts from a Allen head to a regular hex head then this should work.

Something to note is that factory transmission Allen drain bolt hole is a little deeper that the factory Allen differential fill bolt hole.
Thank you SIR

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was under the car yesterday checking a few things while I was swapping in winter tires. Wanted to check the diff oil. Went to pull the fill plug. Cleaned the dirt out of the fill plug and inserted the 10mm allen. Built up a short extension and put my long 3/8" drive wrench on it. Made sure the tool was bottom and gave the wrench a pull. Moved but did not feel right. Immediately knew it slipped. Not too bad but I did not want to try again.

What should I do next.
What’s the best way to remove the 10mm drain plug that is already stripped?

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
What’s the best way to remove the 10mm drain plug that is already stripped?
You can get it out with a Channelock plier. I think the 9.5 inch one should work. They are widely available and Home Depot carry them. These Channelock are unique that the teeth are angled 90 degrees and bite into the nut without slipping. Even though the fill plug is round shaped the Channelock will not slip like those other brands.

I recommend when you take the drain plug off use a hammer to tap the hex socket in so that does not round off to. These bolts have so much rust in the hole and they do get rounded off easily if you don't tap the hex socket all the way in with the hammer.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I just want to correct the Channelock to these ones instead for rounded heads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts