Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the GS-100A controller and wired it in with the LED brake light on top of the swing gate. It works pretty good.

Once you pop off the top cover, the wire connectors are exposed.

Since there wasn't really any wire slack for new connectors to be added to the controller, I decided to solder them on both ends.
BLUE = 12V Brake Light
WHITE/BLACK = GND

Reconnect and zip tie the bundle up. Though it seems the cover may not snap back in due to the controller, but there's enough space.

A video of its function. I mounted my phone onto a mini-stand with a suction cup on top of the spare tire case.
RAV4.3 Strobing LED Brake Light

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I bought the GS-100A controller and wired it in with the LED brake light on top of the swing gate. It works pretty good.

Since there wasn't really any wire slack for new connectors to be added to the controller, I decided to solder them on both ends.
BLUE = 12V Brake Light
WHITE/BLACK = GND

Reconnect and zip tie the bundle up. Though it seems the cover may not snap back in due to the controller, but there's enough space.

A video of its function. I mounted my phone onto a mini-stand with a suction cup on top of the spare tire case.
What are the legality of strobe brake lights?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It appears to vary state-by-state, but for if it strobes/flashes constantly, then that's illegal since those are reserved for law enforcement / ambulatory / fire prevention services. I've seen this feature on a few new vehicles that appear to come from the factory, but it's possible it was modified instead.

·
Registered
587 Posts
It's illegal to be added on the three lights that are factory (in all the states).
Some manufacturers go around that by adding an extra light under the bumper or just blinking three times quickly and then they stay solid.
That light in the video is obnoxious, especially at night, for the people behind you. It would be effective if would come on only during hard braking, but being all the time adds nothing.

Personally I have added an inertial license plate on my other cars, that blinks some LED's around the license plate only when I brake hard. Battery operated, so no wires.
Passes the annual inspection, police cars don't see it (unless I hard-break in front of one).

Unfortunately they seem to be out of them on Amazon at this point:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The vehicle that I saw that had the blinking-to-steady brake light appeared to come from a late model GM, so it definitely wasn't below the bumper. I live in an urban area with a good amount of street lights and red lights, I added it not because it can be obnoxious, but to hopefully keep other drivers less distracted so I won't get rear-ended again. Talking or texting on the phone while driving is more obnoxious. It's your opinion that it adds nothing, but I feel otherwise. Anyway, I'm not arguing for its legality, it was just something I wanted to try out. If I get pulled over and told to take it out, then I will.

·
Registered
182 Posts

BLUE = 12V Brake Light
WHITE/BLACK = GND

Thnx, I wasn't aware this was possible. Just ordered it from Amazon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts