Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I experienced quite a strong smell of burned rubber after 5min of steep ascent to a ski resort. When I stopped at the access ramp and opened the window to get the ticked, I suddenly realized I smell burned rubber coming in from outside.
Shortly after that I parked the car to check if the smell was coming out from my car. Yes it was.

I'm not sure what caused the smell. It was not the handbrake. Could it be the CVT planetary gear / clutch? The engine was at high rpm when ascending.

I'm experiencing this phenomenon only after steep ascent. But otherwise no problem.

Any idea what it could be?

Thanks,

Pedroo

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
The first time a new one gets good and hot you'll smell the coatings burning off the heat shields. Completely normal. Now if you smell that going DOWN the hill, be worried.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
With a car over a month old though? Seems like any burn in smell I've ever experienced in a new car was gone within the first week or so, maybe 2. With my hybrid hardly any smell at all.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I guess you were in Snow and spinning tires a bit, did you have the Traction control turned off.
Ott.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
With a car over a month old though? Seems like any burn in smell I've ever experienced in a new car was gone within the first week or so, maybe 2. With my hybrid hardly any smell at all.
Yes, it doesn't happen till the first time it gets nice and hot. Relax, its fine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all. I'm relieved :) I love the car. It is pleasure to drive it every day.

I studied how the CVT transmission works to find out if the smell could be caused by some traction there. But it is unlikely.
Anyway, I was amazed that now modern CVTs use a steel belt made up of about 400 steel elements. Very interesting indeed.

Pedroo

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thank you all. I'm relieved :) I love the car. It is pleasure to drive it every day.

I studied how the CVT transmission works to find out if the smell could be caused by some traction there. But it is unlikely.
Anyway, I was amazed that now modern CVTs use a steel belt made up of about 400 steel elements. Very interesting indeed.

Pedroo

Wow, I wasn't aware that Rav's were using CVT tranny's.
Ott.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Wow, I wasn't aware that Rav's were using CVT tranny's.
Ott.
Just the hybrid is a cvt but it's a planetary gear system E-cvt. Not a crappy belt driven one with rubber banding effect. Gas models are 6 speed automatic.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts

Pedroo
The Toyota system is all gears. It has nothing in common with other "CVT" systems

·
Registered
425 Posts
Going uphill with alot of cornering on snow my rav4h seems to excercise the rear brakes quit a bit for the stability control. There was a burned smell afterwards every day i did that

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
Going uphill with alot of cornering on snow my rav4h seems to excercise the rear brakes quit a bit for the stability control. There was a burned smell afterwards every day i did that

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

If you're not driving too fast, you should try it again with the stability control shut off.
Ott.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts