Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am changing the suspension on my 2004 RAV4 and having trouble with the strut bearing. I have dismantled the strut but cannot get the bearing out of the plate to replace it. Any ideas how ?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,756 Posts
Are you talking about the upper strut mount bearing? Why not just replace the whole strut mount? It already comes with the bearing. I see you can get the Duralast at Autozone for less than $30.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks James.

Good tip, I am based in the Cayman Islands so parts can be scarce, (i can get the individual bearing but not the strut plate). But an order online is probably the best way to go.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Get a new plate online. Getting the bearing out would be a royal PITA and getting the new one back in and seated properly would be as well. How bad is the bearing? Sometimes they can be cleaned and greased back up and do just fine. They don't move much but do have to move freely. Try this: solvent-clean the bearing. Squish an adequate amount of bearing grease into the bearing, then see how it feels to turn it. I did that to mine and it felt like a new bearing after. Many sources will tell you if you are replacing the strut, the strut plate should be replaced as well.:ponder:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts