Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just fitted a strut brace to my 2008 Rav4, I was surprised at the change
in the handling of the car, it was a lot firmer in the steering.
Cornering was a big improvement, the only down item is it covers the
air cleaner so to change the air filter you need to remove it. But having said that it only takes 5 minutes to remove so no big deal.
I bought it from a Malaysian Company called MAXAUDIO .
Not expensive .

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,730 Posts
air cleaner so to change the air filter you need to remove it. But having said that it only takes 5 minutes to remove so no big deal.
Not expensive .
Sounds great, how about some pictures?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Not expensive .
Thanks. I'm sold. But, did it also reduce body roll? I know rear anti-roll bars are best for that. But they cost more than the strut brace.

·
Super Moderator
11,110 Posts
Not to be a buttinski but...

I have both. The front brace did not reduce body roll but a larger anti roll bar (rear) did. You'll only notice the combination working during serious maneuvers/cornering at speed.
By that I mean quickly changing lanes to miss a tire carcass on the highway or having to make a turn faster than you normally would in a spirited manner.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Not to be a buttinski but...

I have both. The front brace did not reduce body roll but a larger anti roll bar (rear) did. You'll only notice the combination working during serious maneuvers/cornering at speed.
By that I mean quickly changing lanes to miss a tire carcass on the highway or having to make a turn faster than you normally would in a spirited manner.
Thanks buttinski RTexasF. As I tend to do "serious maneuvers/cornering at speed," especially now that I'm in Flawda with it's smooth, banked turns, the rear bar sounds like the solution.

However, I've one more question. When I've installed rear bars on past cars the ride has become a tad harsh. So, is that true for RAVs too? With the Sachs shocks I've got the suspension nicely dialed in with both firmness and a good ride. Thus my question about the rear bar.

PS I'd add to tire carcasses the many comatose, moronic Flawda drivers who obliviously occupy the left lane.:wall I need to avoid them too.

·
Super Moderator
11,110 Posts
I noticed no difference in ride quality. Of course it was nothing to brag about in the first place unless on a smooth highway. All other suspension items (and tires) are stock.

Reactions: mlrav
1 - 6 of 6 Posts