Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've narrowed it down to needing to replace my front struts. I'm looking at OEM and KYB. This may be a dumb question, but does anyone know if KYB dust covers will fit a KYB replacement struts if I use original spring and other original strut assembly parts? I've been reading conflicting info.
Part Numbers
KYB Strut Left : 339032
KYB Strut Right: 339031
Strut Bellow(Boot): SB111

Thanks

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I seen pictures of the KYB strut boots and they are universal not specific for a vehicle. They are different than the Toyota ones. The KYB ones don't have a seat cushion design with the boot cover (in one piece) and that is why I did not get them for my previous RAV. (KYB omits the seat cushion for the coil to sit on) Also the KYB ones are made of plastic material instead of the soft rubber from Toyota. You should get the Toyota ones if you really need them.

Have a look at the pictures and you can see the difference between KYB and the Toyota boot. If the price of the Toyota ones are too much then just cut off the seat cushion from the old one and leave over the coil to sit on.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
when i replace my struts, i normally reuse the strut insulator, but cut off the strut bellows because they're normally worn by then. i use a new kyb strut bellow to protect the shock shafts.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wait
If I want replace original front struts with broken dust covers for KYB so should I order struts plus this special dust covers?
Guys what about top mount and bearing, should be replaced too?
2008 Canadian Rav4, continental dry climate but rust under vehicle present

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Wait
If I want replace original front struts with broken dust covers for KYB so should I order struts plus this special dust covers?
Guys what about top mount and bearing, should be replaced too?
2008 Canadian Rav4, continental dry climate but rust under vehicle present
You should order the Monroe Part #909931 boot cover with the KYB struts. Note you need a left and right side strut since each one are different. The boot cover do tend to rip so get them since they are not expensive plus they cushion the springs. Partsavatar is the best place to get both if you live in Canada. Rockauto is too expensive to ship bigger and heavier items such as struts to Canada.
The strut mounts is your call since they can last a long time. If they are good you can save money not getting them and many don't replace them. You take a chance if they fail especially if you want to keep your car a very long time which means extra labour taking the strut off again.(min 2 hours labour.) If you DIY then then buying it later is better.

KYB has a complete strut assembly that includes the strut, strut mount, and spring called KYB Strut Plus. They are very expensive but are available for $271 CAD for each ($271 x 2 = $542)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks buddy!
Monroe boot cover is that dust cover on top of strut? I had plan order KYB SB111. Because KYB looks more like original dust cover compare to Monroe.
Assembly I heard not best option because spring can have a bit different diameter, size and will cause real difference on handling and steering. Yes, it's way more difficult for replace but with struts I will go to autorepair shop.
So what I think will order:
Front Gas Charged Struts KYB 339031, 339032
Rear Gas Shock Absorber KYB 349024 - 2 pcs.
Front Coil Spring Insulator MONROE/EXPERT SERIES 909931 - 2pcs.
Sway Bar Frame Bushing Kit MOOG K201482 - 2 pcs kit
Sway Bar Link MEVOTECH MS86803 - 2 pcs
Not sure about rear links and bushings. Car is 12 years old, rubber old and probably worn out and bushings are cheap and should be easy for replace.
Is it require make alighment after replace all this parts? Looks like no necessary, but preferably due to age and mileage.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Thanks buddy!
Monroe boot cover is that dust cover on top of strut? I had plan order KYB SB111. Because KYB looks more like original dust cover compare to Monroe.
Assembly I heard not best option because spring can have a bit different diameter, size and will cause real difference on handling and steering. Yes, it's way more difficult for replace but with struts I will go to autorepair shop.
So what I think will order:
Front Gas Charged Struts KYB 339031, 339032
Rear Gas Shock Absorber KYB 349024 - 2 pcs.
Front Coil Spring Insulator MONROE/EXPERT SERIES 909931 - 2pcs.
Sway Bar Frame Bushing Kit MOOG K201482 - 2 pcs kit
Sway Bar Link MEVOTECH MS86803 - 2 pcs
Not sure about rear links and bushings. Car is 12 years old, rubber old and probably worn out and bushings are cheap and should be easy for replace.
Is it require make alighment after replace all this parts? Looks like no necessary, but preferably due to age and mileage.
I am not sure if you need the rear links and bushing unless it is damaged or worn. Don't replace parts unless you need them since it can be done down the road. It cost extra money to replace parts if they are not necessary. You should consider the Toyota shocks. They are not that expensive if you order them online at this place. Note walking into the dealership to get parts will result in a higher price than ordering online. One member would not listen and decided to check by going to the dealership to find they charge double the price.

The Monroe boot cover is designed the same as the factory Toyota boot cover. It is made of rubber and it is also a spring cushion seat. The KYB is a universal boot cover that is made of hard plastic and does not have the lip to sit over the spring. The Monroe boot cover is made for the RAV4 and is not a universal boot cover like the KYB.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Tokico shocks from Ontario with shipping will be $25 cheaper then KYB from Partsavatar, $118 vs 144.
But few years ago when I put KYB shocks on my Mazda 6 I was impressed how much improve handling and got nice felling resist/weight on steering wheel.
Toyota dealer in Edmonton gave me quote for shocks $95 each. Napa autoparts - $155 each :)
Will think about this, Thanks.
I not sure what I need. I already paid $86 for diagnostic/inspection from local shop and they told me replace front right bushing, rear tires, serpentine belt and transfer case (or whole transmission). As they said struts, shocks, links are good but I don't like how suspension works so want replace struts and shocks. If I go to another more Toyota specified repair shop for diagnostic I will need pay again and price will be higher than price for links and bushings and replace myself.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Tokico shocks from Ontario with shipping will be $25 cheaper then KYB from Partsavatar, $118 vs 144.
But few years ago when I put KYB shocks on my Mazda 6 I was impressed how much improve handling and got nice felling resist/weight on steering wheel.
Toyota dealer in Edmonton gave me quote for shocks $95 each. Napa autoparts - $155 each :)
Will think about this, Thanks.
I not sure what I need. I already paid $86 for diagnostic/inspection from local shop and they told me replace front right bushing, rear tires, serpentine belt and transfer case (or whole transmission). As they said struts, shocks, links are good but I don't like how suspension works so want replace struts and shocks. If I go to another more Toyota specified repair shop for diagnostic I will need pay again and price will be higher than price for links and bushings and replace myself.
Wait that shop you got the inspection told you need a transfer case or whole transmission? That raises a redflag as to why and both too. The cost of a transmission alone is near $3000-$5000 you know. Some places are a rip off. It sounds like they will rip you off on labour so I would not take it there. Take your car to a better place. You can find reviews for repair shops on Yelp. The more positive the reviews the better.

·
Registered
104 Posts
They fair but they specified more on germany made vehicles, but they did not bad job, send pictures on email and found noise (whine) from transfer case. Usually it's cause to transmission failure so probably why they recommend transmission replacement, give quote only for labour 18 hours ($110/hr) + my transmission.
I thought sell this rav4 asap but read all whole discussion about transmission whine and you guys said here its common problem rav4 and not cause failure. So I would keep this rav4 for a few years.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
They fair but they specified more on germany made vehicles, but they did not bad job, send pictures on email and found noise (whine) from transfer case. Usually it's cause to transmission failure so probably why they recommend transmission replacement, give quote only for labour 18 hours ($110/hr) + my transmission.
I thought sell this rav4 asap but read all whole discussion about transmission whine and you guys said here its common problem rav4 and not cause failure. So I would keep this rav4 for a few years.
You have the V6 model and they are famous for the transmission whine. If you let go of the gas pedal and the whine goes away that means you have the transmission whine. The whine does not lead to failure so no need to worry about replacing the transmission. That shop that charges $110/hr is too high and usually Toyota dealers charge that amount. The average independent shop charges $80 to $100/hr. There is also another whine that is from the rear differential which occurs on all models.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I also looked at the picture of the sway bar bushing and I do not see any problems there. Usually the rubber expands and get loose which makes some noises. If you don't hear any noises I would hold off repairing the bushing which may not be needed. The strut boots should be replaced but only if your struts are truly worn.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Edmonton is the oil capital and services here more expensive with low quality. Shops easily charge 110-140 per hour, pretty sure Mercedes dealer charge 150+. Missing mechanic Tim from Nova Scotia who charge $40-60 depend of type of work.
If everything with suspension good should I just accept what suspension components was so shitty adjusted by Toyota's engineers? Sell this junk, buy Civic and never Toyota again? ;-)
That's why I try replace something what will improve comfortable ride, like a shocks, struts and bushings

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Edmonton is the oil capital and services here more expensive with low quality. Shops easily charge 110-140 per hour, pretty sure Mercedes dealer charge 150+. Missing mechanic Tim from Nova Scotia who charge $40-60 depend of type of work.
If everything with suspension good should I just accept what suspension components was so shitty adjusted by Toyota's engineers? Sell this junk, buy Civic and never Toyota again? ;-)
That's why I try replace something what will improve comfortable ride, like a shocks, struts and bushings
I forgot that you are in Edmonton and the higher wages in that area. When you buy any used car you check all the parts that are worn and calculate what you would need to spend later to reduce the asking price. Knowing all this can save you money. A mechanic can do an inspection before any sale if you know little about cars. For now you do not need to sell and just do the repairs. Maintain your vehicle well so you will not have many unexpected problems in the future.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks for information, it's good ideas but market in Edmonton was really fast. I was looking for 2006+ Civic, Acura CSX/TSX, but nothing alive for $5000. If some vehicle was in good condition for right price - it's gone same or next day. Market really different compare to East Cost. I worked then long days with some weekends included because end of season so was no really time for testing used cars. And when temperature start dropping my wife need more and more own car. I visit dealers twice but $8000 for 12 years old civic with 200k+ kms mileage- sorry, I can't pay for this. So I start looking anything - Toyota, Nissan, Korean cars. At my previous job we have for work in rural area 2008 Rav4 Sport v6 with over 400k kms and no major problems, only brakes, suspension etc. Price for Rav4 was not bad in Edmonton, so I found mine on Facebook Marketplace, was listed less than hour ago, about 50 kms out of city, so I did appointment and went for test drive as soon as possible. Owner heavy duty mechanic, have this rav since 2013 and 100k kms, he bought from Nissan dealer. Most time car was driven his wife. Cuz he live pretty far in rural area we just met on highway at gas station, check what I know for 10 minutes, did test drive on highway, didn't find nothing major. Asking price was not bad $7000, but he took my offer 6k... mileage 210k, 2 sets of tires on rims. Checked online for liens, accidents- nothing.
Next morning I went for finish deal and he showed me his phone how other guys made few offers 6-6500.
So I have no time take this car for inspection because few other guys will pick up this vehicle without inspection. I was pretty sure it's was great deal.
Even now, even if I spend $500 for parts and replace most them myself it's not bad if look how expensive service at shops.
I got another set of Bridgestone Blizzaks (but still use old one till end of season), replace cabin air filter and serpentine belt. Already order KYB struts, covers and bushings from partsavatar and rear shocks from Toyota Scarborough. Transmission oil looks clean but will change oil in transfer case and rear differential snd should be good.
Yes, I try maintenance and fix vehicle in time and not get broken car on highway in middle of nowhere. And it's cheaper fix part as soon as possible because after it's can require replace whole list of parts.
I'll let know how suspension works with new struts, shocks and bushings
Thanks for help

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
The price seems ok and you are right about the market in some area prices are higher when supply is low. As for the other repairs do them in the spring and summer when the weather is nicer. Some of the things I would do are replace brake fluid in the reservoir, transmission oil change, transfer case & rear differential oil change, and coolant change. Also lube caliper slide pins. Check throttle body to see if it is dirty and look at the air cleaner. The spark plugs should have been replaced already so check one of them to see if it has been done. So do all these things and your vehicle will run with few problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts