Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Rav4 S 4wd with 118K miles. I did an oil change and tire rotation this past Saturday morning, also i wanted to check the struts because of rattling i hear when going over bumbs. The struts show no signs of oil leakage and the piston has no oil on it, however the strut boots are shot. Do i have a bad bearing mounting plate? I believe all the springs are original as well as the struts because they all have paint on them like what they would put on during assembly. The struts are KYB as the rear shocks. The shocks have no paint on them, newer? I want to install an OME suspension and this might be a good time, what do you guys think.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Do you know if there is any difference between the sport and standard vehicle shocks and struts in your vehicle.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont know if there is difference? I just spoke with ARB about an OME suspension and they said OEM front struts with Old Man Emu springs and nitrogen shocks and OME springs for the rear.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Check the sway bars links, that's what was banging on the 05 I bought, easy fix I paid a mechanic cause I just didn't have time to do it my bill was 119.00 parts and labor. Havent heard anything out of the front end since. Just my 2 cents. Vince

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the sway bars links, that's what was banging on the 05 I bought, easy fix I paid a mechanic cause I just didn't have time to do it my bill was 119.00 parts and labor. Havent heard anything out of the front end since. Just my 2 cents. Vince
What kind of noise was it? Mine is a consistent rattle while driving over bumbs. How can you tell uf their bad, rotted rubber?

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
One way to check to see if you have worn front sway bar links is see if you can move it by hand. There should not be any play. Should hear a loose metal sound banging when you go over bumps. Sway bar links usually wear out close to when the struts are gone. They are also not expensive to replace and are fairly easy for the diy'er to install. I would replace them first before considering the strut mounts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It sounded like metal you could grab them and make them pivot. both ends are like tie rod ends. I think it takes a 7 mm allen wrench and a 15 mm wrench. If yours are rusty might want to spray them with something like WD-40. After mine were on they loosed up just a tad, I went back and snugged them up myself. Maybe that was a break-in. I wasn't going to take them back unless it kept loosening up, so far so good.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It sounded like metal you could grab them and make them pivot. both ends are like tie rod ends. I think it takes a 7 mm allen wrench and a 15 mm wrench. If yours are rusty might want to spray them with something like WD-40. After mine were on they loosed up just a tad, I went back and snugged them up myself. Maybe that was a break-in. I wasn't going to take them back unless it kept loosening up, so far so good.
Thank you for the info guys. I sprayed PB Blaster on all the suspension nuts and bolts. Ill try to check the end links this weekend.

Anyone know about the paint markings on the struts and the springs? Those are from the factory?

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
KYB would be replacement shocks. Toyota uses Toyota shocks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KYB would be replacement shocks. Toyota uses Toyota shocks.
I thought Monroe and KYB made their shocks and struts? Do auto repair places put paint on springs and struts?

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I removed the factory shocks and struts from my CUTE 1997 2/3 door and they all had TOYOTA stamped on them. It had 61K miles on it when I bought it and replacing the struts/shocks improved things and took away a thump from the back. I would be shocked if an auto repair place would put paint on springs. Mine came with a thickish coating that I assume was a plastic/rubber protectant paint-like stuff. My shocks/struts were black-painted metal, like the replacements....which were KYB, oh by the way..... My car was built in Japan. That might make a difference on what OEM parts they use....

·
Registered
166 Posts
.. snipped ... they said OEM front struts with Old Man Emu springs and nitrogen shocks and OME springs for the rear.
Nitrogen shocks? - what brand?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts