Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the local dealer complete the open recalls on my 2007 Limited V6. Yes, even the rear suspension arms. I figured I would get a new alignment, and with 79,000 miles it would give some peace of mind against any sudden failure of the part. I reasoned I can always replace them with the SPC arms later, and right now I have other car expenses to put money into.

When I took the car in, it was driving and handling as it has since I bought it in February. I knew the suspension needed some work, as it has always been a bit floaty and boaty. But it drove fine.

When I got to the dealer, I gave it a little test drive and things seemed OK. I then asked for the printout of the alignment. To my surprise, they had only performed a rear-wheel alignment. :confused: I asked the mechanic why a complete alignment had not been done. He told me he could not do the front because both struts had seized. I had also asked them to check out the steering arm linkage for the clunk; he told me that what I had been feeling was the frozen struts.

Now I know that wasn't right. No way I mistook steering clunk for a locked up front end. The car was fine as I was driving a bit around the parking lot and some local streets for a test before I went back to see the mechanic. Then on the way home it got weird--it was like there was no front suspension/bump absorption at all.

Anybody have a similar experience? Was it lifting the car that might have caused the struts to seize? I've googled and searched here, but I don't find any consistent info. Does it make any sense that the condition should come and go? Is it plausible that it's a coincidence it happened with the service? (they didn't do any front-end work)

·
Registered
420 Posts
....with 79,000 miles .....

He told me he could not do the front because both struts had seized.

My 2009 from the salty NY area with 120K didn't even have seized struts. The only thing "seized" were the sway bar link 17mm bolts. I used a small dremel cut the bolt head and replaced the sway bar link for $30ea. Can't imagine what was actually seized that they couldn't remove...I'd get a 2nd opinion.

IMG_1145.jpg

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
Why did they not call you as soon as this was (allegedly) discovered? If the struts are indeed that screwed up it seems borderline dangerous to me.

I'm in N. TX also and sure don't want to go to that dealership whoever it is.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Sounds like a botch job and cover up. The dealer screwed up trying to fix the front suspension and blamed it on the front strut seizing. The front strut should not affect wheel alignment.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Sounds like a botch job and cover up. The dealer screwed up trying to fix the front suspension and blamed it on the front strut seizing. The front strut should not affect wheel alignment.

Front strut bolts will most definitely affect alignment... but have never seen struts seized...

8E424AFF-5037-42B9-90DB-BE2AD09F1F92-1463-000001D0468CA544.jpeg

·
Registered
420 Posts
But if the bolts are seized ( can't imagine how ) they wouldn't be able to complete the alignment. Even if a bolt is seized, it's no reason to not explain what was wrong and explain to you before they fix it. Still seems like they forgot and didn't even attempt.

If you want to drive down to Carrollton, I'd give you my unprofessional opinion and see if we can do anything. No charge, just trying to help out. Send me a PM - I've got inlaws in town this wknd and all of next wk but u could stop by and I could take a peek.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But if the bolts are seized ( can't imagine how ) they wouldn't be able to complete the alignment. Even if a bolt is seized, it's no reason to not explain what was wrong and explain to you before they fix it. Still seems like they forgot and didn't even attempt.

If you want to drive down to Carrollton, I'd give you my unprofessional opinion and see if we can do anything. No charge, just trying to help out. Send me a PM - I've got inlaws in town this wknd and all of next wk but u could stop by and I could take a peek.
Thanks for your kind offer, TEKSMRT. I'll PM you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this happen to me after my car was on the lift. There was nothing wrong with the suspension, then I took my RAV in for something else, and when I got it back the struts had frozen in place. It was a costly repair.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Given the way struts work, I cant think of how they would seize (although I guess its possible I grant).Usually a catastrophic strut failure is they're blown out and ring like a bell. I rode the Rav4 til the front struts were ringing like a bell. I think TEKSMRT outsmarted the stealership.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts