Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 98 RAV has 120000 miles and I replaced the fuel filter and sparkplugs recently. It stumbles severely while accelerating, especially up hills. It seems like the timing is off because you can hear a deiseling at the same time. Tried dry gas and the air cleaner is fine. The problem started after replacing the fuel filter. Any ideas? This one has me stumped. :roll:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Have you checked the spark plug wires? Are they pushed down nicely? Have you considered replacing them?

It sounds like a spark issue to me.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did check to make sure the wires were properly clicked on. I did replace the plugs with a single electrode plug (bosh platnum). I've been reading the manual and they recomend a dual electrode NGK plug. Could this be the problem?

·
Registered
542 Posts
acually sounds like a fuel delivery problem. not enough fuel pressure/volume when you need it! could be some dirt got in the injectors when the filter was changed out or something like that.

did you use an oem toyota (exact part number) filter? could be too restrictive if you used an after-market one! could also be the filter on the fuel pump in the tank is clogged.

why did you have to change the fuel filter? was it really clogged and affecting engine performance? i've never had to change yet despite using lousy gas for the past 10 years!

the "dieseling" sound is probably a misfire coz not enough gas to give proper combustion.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I changed the fuel filter because I would have trouble starting it once in a while. I figured not enough fuel pressure as you suggest. However...I have to report that I checked the wires last night in the dark and one of them is arcing. No vissible cracks...must be an internal break in the wire. I'll replace the wires today.. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I bet the Rav is running like a beauty now.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MJA RAVs
Did you solve your problem? I have the same issue... let me know?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for help - problem solved with
Prestolite Wire (OEM)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts