Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know this probably sounds stupid, but what is Costco? I have read it in here so many times, but have no clue what it is. Can someone fill me in?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Re: Stupid Question

Moons said:
Ok, I know this probably sounds stupid, but what is Costco? I have read it in here so many times, but have no clue what it is. Can someone fill me in?
Check www.costco.com
It's a wholesale & retail market for only members.
There's membership fee of $45 - 100 per year.
Wal-mart started Sam's club when inspired by Costco

·
Registered
986 Posts
Costco is one of those warehouse/wholesale clubs that sells items in "jumbo" size such as gallon jars of mustard or 100 packs of socks, and you have to be a member to shop there. Costco competes with BJ's Wholesale Club and Sam's Club, however it is much better than either of them.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow. Ok Thanks. You can buy cars from them?? That is so weird. We have a Sam's here, but I don't know if you can get cars from them.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Moons,

I know there's a Costco down in Prescott, my sister works there. Just drive a little ways south.

The downside is that there is a membership fee and it sounds like there isn't one in your neighborhood. I did a quick check and there aren't any within 50 miles of Flagstaff, so Prescott is the closest.

You don't actually buy it from Costco, you buy it through an approved dealer. Check out the website and find the area on car buying. There will be more information there.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I don't know whether or not I would be willing to drive all the way to Prescott, but I am going to check with the local Sam's and see if they have anything like it. It's not really a big deal, just curious :D

·
Super Moderator
1,564 Posts
I think all the big box stores (BJ's Warehouse, Costco, Sam's) have new car sales programs arranged with dealerships... Sometimes they even park a shiny new set of wheels at the front door to draw attention.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, 750 is awesome. I have noticed that there are sometimes new cars outside Sams' but never asked about it, I bet they do have it here then. That's awesome!

·
Registered
234 Posts
The Costco auto buying program is nice if you don't want/feel the need to negotiate on the price. Most of the time it will save you some time/money.

You go in and they (Costco) already negotiated the price for you.

When I was going to use the Costco program, it was just $500 under MSRP. Didn't like that price and negotiated a way better deal :D .

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Honestly, I don't know how to haggle. So Sam's getting a deal for me would probably be better. Unless I can find someone to teach me how to haggle.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Moons said:
Honestly, I don't know how to haggle. So Sam's getting a deal for me would probably be better. Unless I can find someone to teach me how to haggle.
One way is to do everything via email. Email them that you want to pay only $1,000 over dealer invoice. They'll reply either with a yes or no - and they might want a phone number. Either way, they don't get to see your face and try the hard sell.

Or you can have a friend do the haggling for you. I find it to be like a game sometimes...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I am still confused about what dealer invoice is. Isn't it a suggested price? How much over it do they usually sell them for? I think I could do the whole email thing, I just wouldn't know what to say in person. Does Costco or Sam's do the same thing for used vehicles, or only new? I want to get a 2004, so would I just be better off going to the dealer and doing it that way or is Sam's still a viable option?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Only new.

Don't forget that you can save on your dealer costs by getting it through Costco. If you have an Executive membership which is $100 you will save another $500 on top of that.

For the record: Costco doesn't have any competion. Sams doesn't sell the quality and BJ's doesn't have the buying power.

Sam's think they are the competion and everyone perceives this but its not really the case. I know.

M.

·
Super Moderator
1,564 Posts
Moons said:
Ok, I am still confused about what dealer invoice is. Isn't it a suggested price? How much over it do they usually sell them for? I think I could do the whole email thing, I just wouldn't know what to say in person. Does Costco or Sam's do the same thing for used vehicles, or only new? I want to get a 2004, so would I just be better off going to the dealer and doing it that way or is Sam's still a viable option?
"Dealer Invoice" is theoretically what the dealer is supposed to be paying for the new vehicle. In reality, most dealers have had discounts or incentives from the manufacturers that lower what they've actually paid to get the vehicle on their lot.

Costco, Sam's and BJ's is only for new cars unless someone knows different.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I guess Sam's is out of the question then :? I don't like the 2006's as much as the 04s. Size thing mainly (and price). So I guess I will have to learn to haggle :lol: I have already went to the dealer to talk to him about the 06's, mainly just to get a look at them and find out how my credit was going to affect things. So maybe I can get him to bring the price down for me on an 04. I guess we will have to see. I have to save up for a down payment first :D

·
Registered
654 Posts
Moons said:
Well I guess Sam's is out of the question then :? I don't like the 2006's as much as the 04s. Size thing mainly (and price). So I guess I will have to learn to haggle :lol: I have already went to the dealer to talk to him about the 06's, mainly just to get a look at them and find out how my credit was going to affect things. So maybe I can get him to bring the price down for me on an 04. I guess we will have to see. I have to save up for a down payment first :D
Moon, there are still some new 2005 out there if you like those.

·
Super Moderator
1,564 Posts
Edmunds is a good source for True Market Value (TMV), which is usually somewhere smack in the middle of Dealer Invoice and MSRP. If you have a subscription to Consumer Reports, they can get you similar information as well.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Moons said:
www.edmunds.com

You can price out a car there and it will give you the MSRP, dealer invoice, and the 'true market value' on a new car. As well as the trade-in, private party, and dealer retail values of used cars.

They also let you request price quotes from several local dealers. The dealers who get these quotes know two very important things:
1) That you're staring right at the market value and invoice price so they don't mess around with you.
2) That the request went to multiple dealers and that you're going to deal with the lowest. Let the price war begin.

There's really nothing to it if you do it online. You just sort of sit back and watch the dealers cut each others' profit to shreds. :D

No reason to play the old "if you don't come down another $500 I'm walking out" game with the dealers in person anymore.

Oh and don't feel bad about not knowing what Costco is. I had never heard of it before getting on bulletin boards myself. And I was a military brat who's been all over the place.

Was it a west coast thing that's just now expanding out east?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts