Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best Buy has killer sub deals once in a while and I got some JBL GX1200 12's for $30/ea, so naturally I had to get an amp, box, etc.
When plotting out my amp installation, I wanted a location that was out of the way but didn't take up any of my storage space in the trunk since it's full of dog stuff and I use those spaces often. At first I was going to put it under the front passenger seat, but it seemed easy for a someone in the back seat to hit the amp with their feet - so my next potential location was under the rear seats. In theory this was great - when I started removing the seats I started to regret it, lol.
I didn't see too much in regards to amp installations in my searching endeavors so here's some photos of how I installed mine.

The seats obviously go up and down in relation to the floor when being folded, so when doing test fitting I found that the passenger side has more clearance than the driver's side. The seat frames themselves are the same, but the carpeting and padding underneath the seats is different which changed the available clearance.
Unbolting the seats is easy - but removing the damn cabling takes some patience and awkward body positioning! That's the only part that was a huge pain in the ass.
After I decided on a location I needed to determine a mount - so I used some scrap aluminum plates and put bolts up from the bottom. I would then put these mounting plates under the carpet and use it as a cradle for the amp. I'm not a big fan of drilling holes into a chassis if not needed.
Plates: 1 with bolts through them (6/32 went through the amp mounting holes nicely)

Amp on the plate to verify my bolt spacing:

Plates inserted under the carpeting. I was able to put these plates between the padding and carpet itself, so the padding will absorb the size of the button screw heads and don't have to worry about it rubbing or denting the floor.

Amp placed on the brackets - power coming in from the rear and leaving the amp controls on the front so I could still access them if needed.

The hump of carpet behind the amp is mostly padding, so it was a great spot to feed the cabling through. I ran the sub speaker wire out of the existing hole where the seat cable runs through. Wasn't sure if i would keep the sub in the trunk area or move to the rear seat floor. I'm going to make a quick disconnect for the speaker cable so easily remove the sub enclosure when needed.

Car has some existing features to utilize for cabling in the engine bay and interior, woo:

Used a threaded hole in the engine bay to mount the fuse holder:

I put the sub volume control knob in the center console. I didn't realize there was a removable panel at the bottom of the console which made it super easy to run the cable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I really like your amp install. I thought the way you had those aluminum bars hidden under the carpet
with just the mounting screws exposed, very clever. Just curious, what ga. power cable did you run off the battery?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts