Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally gave in and decided to add a sub to my 2013 RAV XLE. Here's what I picked up:

Rockford Fosgate PS-8 Punch Series powered 8" subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

Dimensions are 14-1/2"W x 9-1/2" D x 3-3/8"H.

I was originally planning to have it mounted under the rear seat. I had an amp installed for my door speakers a few years back and was pleasantly surprised to find he'd hidden it under the rear seat! So I thought it'd be awesome to have it done under the rear seat, behind the driver seat. He took a look and found out there wasn't enough clearance :crying He looked under the passenger seat and said it might stick out some from under the seat. That's another :crying. So I'm trying to think of any other clever mounting places I can have the installer aim for. Are there any places I'm not thinking of? I'm worried it's just gonna end up mounted in a "top" corner or middle of the cargo section, in which case I would've just gotten the Infinity Basslink most likely. But I do like the sleek, compact design of this one.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I had the install done. They ended up mounting it in the top corner of the back, but at least they used velcro so I can take it out when I need to. . Would've been nice and sleak if it was hidden, but oh well.. sound quality is PHENOMENAL though! Highly recommended!

·
Registered
95 Posts
There is a thread from a couple years ago from a guy who installed his sub in the open space next to the spare tire in his '13 XLE. Created a nice fiberglass enclosure and fitted it under the floor. It's worth checking out. I think he used the same sub as you did..

·
Registered
69 Posts
Do you have any pictures and did you change the head unit? I am wondering if it can be connected to the factory HU. Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have any pictures and did you change the head unit? I am wondering if it can be connected to the factory HU. Thanks.
Here are the pics. It's great because it doesn't take up much space to start with, but they also installed it only using velcro because of the mat I've got, so if I ever needed that last little bit of space, I could easily take it out.

I'm using the factory head unit. I had an amp installed previously for my door speakers, and the wiring kit already had RCA cables in it, so my previous installer just left them in. Between that and what was bundled in the box for the sub, I had everything needed for the install.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Have you tried firing it back at the hatch door instead of up? You should get a much better response that way and takes up less space.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, I haven't tried that. I'm happy with the way it sounds now but I'll try that out at some point out of curiosity hehe

·
Registered
40 Posts
With a flat line sub like that, I would have inverted it and mounted in on the ceiling above the cargo area, firing down. Use the whole boot as a reverb chamber :wink Then again, I've never been very good at subtly :laugh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts