Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i was just wondering about a few things. I'm planning on getting a pair of JL audio 10" subs put in the back. Before doin i though i just wanted to see what a box with similar subs looks like in the back. Does it take up too much room and how will it perform. Also i'm not much of an audio expert but the guy at the shop told me that i didn't need to change out my stock stereo unit. If i keep it stock will this affect the performance of the subs at all? Thanks for all your help. any pictures would be most helpful.

thanks

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
not replacing the head unit will affect the sound quality. although it will probably still sound good - it normally sounds better when you change out the radio. plus you can get cool features on an aftermarket radio like sub and frequency controls.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you know of any that flow really nicely with the rest of the interior. I just don't want it to not look right.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had these boxes built - and they take up virtually no cargo space. Note how they wrap around wheel well covers. They mount to the 2 nubs in the plastic - so not much modification to install. I'm very happy with the deep bass and no rattles. The box volume was perfect for 8" subs, but 10" subs could fit if you widen the boxes slightly for the increased sub mounting depth. The 8" subs with the giant magnets hit plenty hard using my 800 watt Boss RT850 amp. If you build your own boxes out of 5/8" MDF, the whole project could cost under $250 including amp.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey thanks a lot that helps out a ton. How much do you think though it would cost for a shop to do it cause frankly i wouldn't know where to even begin. Also since in those areas the lug wrench is in there do you simply move the box when you need to get in there?

Thanks a lot man.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly. You unscrew the two knobs and the sub comes off. I've got 1/4" threaded bolts that go from inside the trim panel and are glued in using clear silicone - so only about 1/2 " of threads pop through the plastic nubs. The knobs are basically fancy 1/4" nuts. I've got the amp in the cubby under the right speaker. The left cubby has my Sirius tuner and I've got a Kenwood head unit now. The boxes have to be pushed down into the carpet for the 2 L-brackets on top of the speakers to match up with the threaded bolts. This downward pressure on the speaker prevents them from moving or needing a bracket at the bottom. If you use heavier subs, I'd suggest a bracket at the bottom of the box to keep them secure. This whole idea is nothing new. JL makes stealth boxes for various SUV's but unfortunately not ones for the RAV AFAIK. See this 4Runner box:
http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/4RUNR9602.html

RAVenous - 2003 RAV4

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what kind of headunit would you guys reccomend. Also are there any outthere that will connect to the steering wheel controls. Also another question, If you were to choose between 2 JL audio 10" or 2 10" bazookas which would you go for. Sorry for all the questions i'm just trying to get all my facts straight before i buy anything.

thanks

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was wondering for those with subs in there cars. Do you think that 1 12inch JL sub would be enough to get a good boom or would it be better to just get 2 10inch JLs. Thanks

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First post, wee. Yeah, you don't NEED to change out your head unit, but you should. Sadly if you have controls on the steering wheel for the radio, kiss those goodbye. I haven't heard of anyone who could make them work on new units.

As far as the box go, I say make your own. Fiberglass baby, yeah. It's a pain, its messy, it makes your skin itch and it takes forever. But if you do it right, the payoff is beautiful.

A good sight to try for the basics, and how it looks and its functionality is based on your imagination.
http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/main/

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
colombiano11 said:
I was wondering for those with subs in there cars. Do you think that 1 12inch JL sub would be enough to get a good boom or would it be better to just get 2 10inch JLs. Thanks
If you are just looking for "BOOM" you could get a JL 12w6 or a 12w7 if you want to spend 600-800 bucks. Although, there are MUCH BETTER options than JL Audio for subs.

Let's see, Resonant Engineering, Diamond Audio TDX, Image Dynamics, Soundsplinter just to name a few.

Now, if you want SOUND QUALITY...it's a whole different ballgame.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
colombiano11 said:
I have 12 inch JL W3v2 in my car. It has good sound output, but well depending of what are you want. Quality or high +db ... I'm think of putting a real good 10 inch small enclosure with aprox 300 - 500W RMS. Two pairs of 6x9 putting a flat MDF where the cargo covers goes....

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
colombiano11 said:
Since the RAV4 isn't a hatchback, there isn't much between you and the sub itself, so a little will go a long way. If you have the money to spare..go with whatever you can afford, it also depends on what kind of music you listen to.

I'm sort of in the same boat you are with what to get. As far as the box goes...get what sounds best, not what gives you the best space. The bigger the sub the boomier it will sound, with a seal box it will sound tighter, ported a little boomier and open..well then its booming.

I know that tweeter will do everything for you as far as making a box, tuning it to your music tastes, but you're looking to probably spend 200 on the box itself if they make it.

Like was said before you don't need to pull out the stock head unit, but if you do, go with a name brand one, and ask the people at the store what you're looking for. They're usually helpful...if not a little pushy towards more higher end models. Yes say goodbye to your wheel controls, honestly you won't miss them after awhile.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts