Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm having some rattling problems coming from the rear of my car. I'm pretty sure its the back door, but I'm not positive. Here are a few pics of my subwoofer set-up:

Overall View:

As you can see, I'm missing one of my inner-door plastic bolts:

The subwoofer is pretty close to the door when its closed. This may be the source of the problem and I'm sure there's some kind of resolution.

Door open a little bit:

I was looking at some kind of soundproofing or Dynamat but I'm not sure if this would fix the problem and it's pretty darn expensive. Has anyone ever had a similar problem? Is it the plastic pannel rattling against the metal inside of the door? What should I do?

·
Registered
779 Posts
I think the rear door on Rav4s were specifically designed to have subs installed in them and not against them. Open the door and have a party.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bzride said:
Try turning the sub around
Doesn't fit, the box is made in the same shape as this:

If I put the sub right up to the seat, the slanted side sticks out so much that I can't close the door. What have right now is like this...it BARELEY fits.

First off, sorry about my paint skills, I'm working on it... :p As for the set-up, I've tried it and it doesn't work. No offence to you, and thanks for your input...but that doesn't work.

hansie said:
DO you have a hard cover on your spare tyre, that might be it
It used to be my licence place that rattled, so I put a THICK piece of rubber between the plate and the door and that was the end of that. I still heard rattling, so I changed my spare tire cover to the soft leather one and I STILL hear the same rattling! :evil:

It's so frustrating!

ian g said:
I think the rear door on Rav4s were specifically designed to have subs installed in them and not against them. Open the door and have a party.
How the HECK would I do this? Wouldn't it cost a fortune to have it done in a shop?

Thanks everyone for all your great ideas. Please keep them coming, I'm determined to fix this problem.

·
Registered
542 Posts
just ditch the door!!!

or

take the plastic panel off, drill a few small holes & inject the door full of that expanding foam stuff you can buy in spray cans.. put some thin foam between the door & plastic panel when you mount it back on..

and don't forget to put some grease on that wedge shaped doohicky thingamajig that's supposed to support the door when it's closed!!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd like to keep my sub just how it is. I was thinking maybe about buying some Dynamt rolls (bulk) and splitting the price/product with some of my friends. I've also heard that there are some other prosucts out there that work just as good that don't have the same mark-up as Dynamat does. Anyone know some other kind of sound/vibration-proof products? :?

I'm pretty sure this will solve my problem because if the sub is on and I press my hands against the back door (inside) the sound goes away, so I'd think it was the plastic inner pannel vibrating against the metal of the door. What do you think? Am I right in thinking this?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, I have one more conern. Can someone post up the instructions/steps for taking off the inner plastic pannel of the door. As you can see, I already gave it a shot and broke one of the little plastic bolts holding the pannel on.

How can I take them all out?
How can I put them back in, or is there something better I should use to bolt them together?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oops.. my bad... didn't realize the box was shaped like that

I think some Dynamat would definately help then.,.. on the rear door

or try "B-Quiet"

apparently it does just as good a job as dynmant but at a fraction of the price

http://www.b-quiet.com/ultimate.html

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Taking off those little plastic clips holding the panel in place is easy. Just take a small phillips screw driver and give it a half turn. the inner part of the clip should just pop out a little. Use your fingernails and grab hold of that little inner piece and pull straight out.

Putting them back in is easy too. Try to compress the 4 springy looking things in the back and put them back into the hole. Then just push the middle part of the clip back in. That's it.

And from your description, yes, it does sound like the plastic panel is vibrating. You could try to put some insulating material on the backside of the panel to dampen the vibrating. Maybe even some thin foam like material that can compress between the panel and door frame. Hopefully that should solve your problem. Good luck. :thumbs_up:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for this information, I'll give it a shot next weekend (basketball tournament this weekend).

I can't thank you guys enough, you're honestly the Rav gurus! 8)

·
Registered
106 Posts
You guys still have back seats. I yanked mine years ago(the seats that is)I get mountain bikes, hockey gear, plants ETC in there with issue.

I have no friends so needing the back seats are not an issue for me.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I'm 16 and am constantly shipping people around and dropping people off around the city. I swear I'm like a taxi sometimes...but it's okay, because I love driving my Rav! Let's not forget the girlfirend...back seats are a must! :wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts