Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 purchased new. Strange and forceful acceleration during use of cruise control so much so that I ceased to use it. The following 2 weeks, acting odd then a sudden violent acceleration while entering my garage. Was able to brake/no accident. Data recorder found no crash so I'm stuck.
NHS refused 2 appeals to reopen this issue.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
[...]The following 2 weeks, acting odd then a sudden violent acceleration while entering my garage.
In what ways was it acting odd?

Data recorder found no crash so I'm stuck. NHS refused 2 appeals to reopen this issue.
Who examined the data recorder? And I think you mean the NHTSA. Do you have claim numbers to share?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
acting odd...the amount of pressure applied to the gas didn't coincide w/the power delivered..but at low speeds so not thinking it was an issue.
data recorder read by Bosch but they looked for a crash.I requested they look at more than 1 day ( at least a 2 day period) 1st time here so not sure re: sharing case #

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
[...] data recorder read by Bosch but they looked for a crash.I requested they look at more than 1 day ( at least a 2 day period) 1st time here so not sure re: sharing case #
Bosch is good, but not that good. :) Even one day is impossible. The event data recorder stores only the last several seconds of data of a crash or other catastrophic incident.

If you filed a NHTSA complaint or request for an investigation then there should be a document number.

·
Registered
802 Posts
This whole post smells fishy.

First, what does cruise control have to do with acceleration when entering the garage? Cruise control is disabled below 25 mph.

Second, you CAN'T read the "data recorder". Only the manufacturer and NHTSA are authorized to do that. Unless you actually work at "data recorder" manufacturer, nobody else has the right equipment to access the information stored in there. The "data recorder" manufacturer would only do that on behalf of Toyota or NHTSA, or with a court order signed by a judge. The information collected by the "data recorder" is privileged information protected by law. You simply can't go to Bosch (or anybody else) and ask the "hey, can you read the data recorder for me?".

Third, the "data recorder" does not hold information for days. It only stores 5 seconds of information prior to the crash (deployment of air bags). The information is overwritten continuously so only the last 5 seconds are available.

Last, yes, RAV's cruise control is quite aggressive when "restore" is used. Just like any other Japanese or European car. It's designed to get you back to the target speed in short time. Unlike most American cars in which the cruise control behaves like an "old granny" and takes ages to accelerate.

And also, throttle response is different in SPORT vs. ECO vs. Normal mode. A question to the original poster - did you have SPORT mode engaged when entering the garage? If so, yes it perfectly normal for the car to accelerate more forcefully than in Normal and ECO modes, and the gas pedal is very "touchy". It's designed to be this way.

·
Registered
324 Posts
This sounds like a case of pedal confusion to me. Either that or the driver has boots on that touch both pedals. Either way, I would think the owner would be dealing with Toyota and not directly with the NHTSA. Something isn't adding up here....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow...did not expect this reaction in my attempt to find help or advice.
I mentioned the cruise control because it was after it's use that problems arose...maybe connected. maybe not...thought it worth noting. Toyota assigned me a case # which I hesitate to share ..1st time here. I mentioned NHTSA because I found some useful info there regarding this issue. Toyota had Bosch read the recorder but I have yet to get their final report but dealer is saying nothing wrong.
And, no, I assure anyone out there, it was not "pedal confusion" and ...nothing fishy here. I am stressed beyond belief by this situation and trying to find folks out there who experience the same.
I have yet to file a NHTSA complaint but they have had to appeals to reopen this issue w/Toyota
Pico is the only one to have helpful feed \back and I thank you for that.
Why in the world would I be here if not for help?
I have been driving for over 40 yrs and am accustom to how a cruise control should act.

·
Registered
403 Posts
2013 purchased new. Strange and forceful acceleration during use of cruise control so much so that I ceased to use it. The following 2 weeks, acting odd then a sudden violent acceleration while entering my garage. Was able to brake/no accident. Data recorder found no crash so I'm stuck.
NHS refused 2 appeals to reopen this issue.
You are the 10th member of this forum to experience unintended acceleration. In the other cases UA occurred at low speeds or a dead stop, nothing mentioned when using cruise control.
(1) Most cases have the common denominator of a weak battery. Check your battery.
(2) Check to see if the floor mat or something else is interfering with the accelerator pedal.
Toyota and some members of this forum deny UA exists but you now know it does so be prepared to be attacked as a bad driver who does not know the difference between the accelerator and the brake.:frown

Reactions: alysa

·
Registered
403 Posts
wow...did not expect this reaction in my attempt to find help or advice.
I mentioned the cruise control because it was after it's use that problems arose...maybe connected. maybe not...thought it worth noting. Toyota assigned me a case # which I hesitate to share ..1st time here. I mentioned NHTSA because I found some useful info there regarding this issue. Toyota had Bosch read the recorder but I have yet to get their final report but dealer is saying nothing wrong.
And, no, I assure anyone out there, it was not "pedal confusion" and ...nothing fishy here. I am stressed beyond belief by this situation and trying to find folks out there who experience the same.
I have yet to file a NHTSA complaint but they have had to appeals to reopen this issue w/Toyota
Pico is the only one to have helpful feed \back and I thank you for that.
Why in the world would I be here if not for help?
I have been driving for over 40 yrs and am accustom to how a cruise control should act.
Please keep us up to date as to your quest to determine the cause of the problem and pay no attention to the negative and frankly rude comments by some members of this forum and do not judge all members by the insulting comments of a few.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not sure that I have the thick skin that is apparently needed to exist here
I do thank you and pico for your suggestions
I did check the mat but not the battery.
There was/is loads of clearance between the mat and pedal. Did not check the battery.. there was no other indications of a low battery. The car is at the dealers. I can not drive this car again.

·
Super Moderator
11,736 Posts
Internet forums are not all bluebells and sunflowers.......it's just the way it is. Kinda like real life! I hope you get the car squared away.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
[...] Second, you CAN'T read the "data recorder". Only the manufacturer and NHTSA are authorized to do that. Unless you actually work at "data recorder" manufacturer, nobody else has the right equipment to access the information stored in there.
There have been claims that there are only a couple units in the country, but it is not true. Perhaps it was true when Toyota was ordered to use one. Bosh makes a lot of the diagnostic units, brand specific options, and they are for sale, as is the software.

An individual can have his event data recorded read, as can cops in just a few states. The rights issues are more complex, but individual owner's rights trump all.

It would not be the first time Toyota claims to have done something they did not. The dealers have little to gain by reading an event recorder because it is about a crash, it's over and done. The readout might help the police or lawyers, but the dealer - no.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Please don't leave this forum until 1) you give more information to those like you who have experienced this same phenomenon and been told by Toyota that nothing is wrong with the vehicle and 2) you get more information that will help you and allow you to report the matter to all who need to know about this not-uncommon-to-Toyota-owners incident.

The Toyota RAV4 has plenty of "speed control" complaints. SURGING & sudden unintended acceleration are occurring way too frequently. I have a friend who had this happen at a stoplight and it was frightening. Like you, the friend was able to stop but it was so terrifying that the friend insisted that Toyota buy back the vehicle at a fair price. The friend did NOT want to ever drive that vehicle again. It only takes ONE such incident to realize that it is potentially DEADLY for occupants of the vehicle as well as those in the vehicle's path!

Immediately report this incident to both the NHTSA and the Center for Auto Safety in Washington, DC. Ask Toyota for a written report on your vehicle, particularly the EDR data. Toyota refused to give my friend this data and has repeated this refusal with others requesting the same information! IF Toyota does not abide by your request or insinuates that YOU are to BLAME, contact David Kelley, Toyota's DOJ-initiated "Independent Monitor" to let him know HOW you were treated by Toyota. I'm sure you know that Toyota is under probation for lying and covering up in the SUA matter. Toyota owners say this is STILL going on and some are hopping mad about it!

For over two years, some SUA victims, their advocates, engineers, road safety advocates, & others have been examining how some crash reports where surging & SUA are indicated are handled in police reporting & in the media. The driver is said to be suffering from "pedal confusion" in most cases. Remember this is based on Toyota's EDR assessment...the data that t refuses to give to the Toyota owner! Like you, even when drivers know that it wasn't a "driver error" incident, the police report that it is! Yeah...there's a fish smell but it is NOT coming from the driver!

Alyssa, you are FAR FROM ALONE. Please develop that thick skin now so you won't have to encounter these vehicles on the road even when you substitute that Toyota RAV4! Crashes into buildings, storefronts, homes, bodies of water, concrete barriers, brick walls, utility poles, and other vehicles on the road are ALL recorded! You would be wise to use your experience to help others avoid the same.

While this phenomenon is not unique to Toyota, Toyota has the lion's share of incidents to date. Introduction of the all-electronic throttle control system has been connected to six-second stationary-to-airborne crashes..many fatal ones. The open throttle situation has caused braking to be ineffective (some say non-existent) so the experience has been described as "terrifying" universally by those who have experienced it! Indeed most say that they thought that they were going to die!

Be forewarned, there are anonymous entities who are monitoring anything did about sudden unintended acceleration currently. It seems that this topic is a hot one! Drivers are the scapegoats and some want it to remain that way!

I'd like to give you some resource links and discuss this with you further. I make no bones about being totally consumer-oriented. I've been researching & commenting & networking on the topic of SUA on Twitter (@charleneblake). There are others doing the same.

I will post some article titles for you. Do NOT let Toyota blame you! Take a tape recorder with you and let Toyota know that their explanation will be recorded. Owners say the denials continue; therefore the cover-up prior to 2009 does too!

Charlene McCarthy Blake

·
Registered
14 Posts
Alysa, here is the contact information for the Toyota Independent Monitor. He NEEDS to hear from ALL Toyota RAV4 owners who have experienced SURGING or sudden unintended acceleration, especially if Toyota says nothing is wrong or blames them!

Toyota Independent Monitor
David N. Kelley, Esq.
Independent Monitor
Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
80 Pine Street
New York, NY 10005-1702
(212) 701-3000

·
Super Moderator
11,736 Posts
WOW! Major first post there Charlene. I question why you popped in just for this. Are you an attorney seeking a client??

Both new posters are rather unusual in their posts for just entering the forum so forgive my suspicious nature. We've seen plenty of trolls here so we take things with a grain (pound) of salt.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
WOW! Major first post there Charlene. I question why you popped in just for this. Are you an attorney seeking a client??

Both new posters are rather unusual in their posts for just entering the forum so forgive my suspicious nature. We've seen plenty of trolls here so we take things with a grain (pound) of salt.
Trolls? I think so. Salt is a most excellent slug eliminator, too.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.