Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess sometimes it’s not even worth getting up in the morning. I was driving [honestly guys, cool] suddenly a little curve and a small insignificant hole. Until my right rear tire went over it. The rear shock just erupted and a loud clatter rang out. I said, "What the hell" :evil: I stopped at the nearest Sears parking lot. When I checked, the right rear shock absorber had erupted. I quickly called the profeser and she told me it was cool until Monday. I limped back to the nearest place I could go, my parents home which was just 5 minutes from where I was. Thanks God my old man has a very wide variety of tools. I jumped on it. Sure enough, the right rear shock piston had no damping at all. Since both were sounding a little sqweaky I grabbed the cellular and call Performance Products.com in good old Van Nuys CA. This place was about a block from where I once lived in my beloved Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley. Thank God they only had two Rear Bilstein Sports Shocks left, $79.00 each. Next week, I'll install two Bilstein sport shocks with the Performance Stainless Steel brake lines. What a way to start a summer. :roll: This is cool, because now that I have time to work with these issues, now is the time for them to come out. Oh, BTW, my CD player is online again, sounding cool as ever. Ok, I know, pictures it is. :wink:

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Derek said:
Mensagero, which type of Bilsteins were you running? The HD or Sport? I know the Sport shocks are designed to work with lowering springs; and these were the shocks that I was going to get for my TRD springs :shock: .

Let us know how it all works out! :D
Back in 98, that was my error. I use the HD shocks with H&R Springs. that is a no no. But, regarding the Life Time warrenty I'll say i used the HD with stock springs. :wink:

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, yesterday, I re-installed the rear shocks and now I feel a hell of a diffrence. It felt like the rear of my RAV4 was flowting. Now it feels solid. The once I took off have had it. When new, you can hardly push, much less pull Bilstein shocks. The once I took off, they looked like a Ford truck Rack and Pinion with power steering. :wink:

·
Registered
542 Posts
by the way, the "sport" shocks come in two kinds: B6 for stock springs, & B8 for lowering springs.... if you fit the wrong ones..... boom.... toasted shock for breakfast...

·
Registered
542 Posts
i have a set of B6 shocks with the "stock" springs. meaning i didn't lower my rav using shorter springs.

did you use the B6 shocks with shorter springs?

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I guess I was right all the time. :roll: The sport shocks are for lowered RAV4. I still have the HD front shocks with the H&R springs. Now I would like to change the fronts for sports shocks. Time will tell.

BTW, for you mud and sand jumpers, I guess the HD shocks are for the RAV4 who want to lift their RAV4. Check Performanceproducts.com. I saw some in their most resent catalog.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts