Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member and non-tech person here.... has anyone experienced this, or can cast light on what might be the cause? I had noticed in the last few weeks that the headlights seemed unusually dim. And in the last few days maybe a slightly different engine note, and the last outing an only slightly hesitant start. On my way back home all of a sudden pretty much every warning was being displayed in sequence, e.g. 'Check AIRBAG system' > 'Check 4x4 System' > 'Check Brake System' > 'Check VSC' etc... all scrolling round. Suspect 'Check Wallet' might be necessary. Anyway, at the same time as all this started flashing up the steering went dead, and I had to drag it round the corner. Just. If there was one bit of fortune, it was that the local mechanic's forecourt was just up the road and I managed to haul it there. Pulled in, thought that maybe a turn off/on might restore something only to find that absolutely nothing left in the battery. This was all Friday night. Left it there and walked home. Spoke to the garage next morning, and they'd not been able to get any charge into it. It's a small Dad and son operation, conscientious but busy and I was hoping to get some insight into what the problem could be to help things along the way. Being stuck in a very rural place with one car and 2 school age children is a nightmare. Any ideas / experiences of similar gratefully received. Thanks...

·
Super Moderator
10,925 Posts
This is primarily a North American forum. There are no diesel RAVS here at all, not even offered. I was going to suggest the RAV4 Club but I see you have already posted there. I wish you luck in sorting the problem. Cheers

·
Super Moderator
9,526 Posts
Pulled in, thought that maybe a turn off/on might restore something only to find that absolutely nothing left in the battery. This was all Friday night. Left it there and walked home. Spoke to the garage next morning, and they'd not been able to get any charge into it. ... Any ideas / experiences of similar gratefully received. Thanks...
As Tex mentioned we don't have Diesels here but the symptoms do sound familiar to the instant battery death many of us have experienced with our V6 RAV4s. And the fact that they couldn't get the battery to take a charge means it's new battery time. That may solve it but at least is the first step.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had noticed in the last few weeks that the headlights seemed unusually dim. And in the last few days maybe a slightly different engine note, and the last outing an only slightly hesitant start. Thanks...
Classic signs of an electrical charging issue. You probably didn't notice that your turn signals were also starting to blink a little slower. These symptoms are the same for gas or diesel vehicles.

I believe that you'll find your alternator has failed. If it was an older battery, running it down like you did more then likely killed it.

Replace the old battery with a new/good working battery. Using a volt meter, check for at least 14v across the battery terminals when first starting the car. If the voltage stays the same (about 12v), your alternator is not charging and will more then likely need to be replaced.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is primarily a North American forum. There are no diesel RAVS here at all, not even offered. I was going to suggest the RAV4 Club but I see you have already posted there. I wish you luck in sorting the problem. Cheers
Thanks...!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Classic signs of an electrical charging issue. You probably didn't notice that your turn signals were also starting to blink a little slower. These symptoms are the same for gas or diesel vehicles.

I believe that you'll find your alternator has failed. If it was an older battery, running it down like you did more then likely killed it.

Replace the old battery with a new/good working battery. Using a volt meter, check for at least 14v across the battery terminals when first starting the car. If the voltage stays the same (about 12v), your alternator is not charging and will more then likely need to be replaced.

Good luck.

Have a good day.
Yup - had been assuming alternator issue. Was perplexed by all the warning lights, but alternator is I guess obvious first thing to check. Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As Tex mentioned we don't have Diesels here but the symptoms do sound familiar to the instant battery death many of us have experienced with our V6 RAV4s. And the fact that they couldn't get the battery to take a charge means it's new battery time. That may solve it but at least is the first step.
Thanks for this - either way, it'll be new battery and in a way am hoping it's the alternator that has failed because then it's relatively straightforward. If alternator turns out to be fine, then....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts