Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone had this happen. Slow around town driving, nothing but at load and freeway speeds if there's a small undulation in the road (not visible), and a wheel hits it just right. The whole car jerks once to one side and you have to grab hard at the steering wheel to correct it. I have two guesses. But wondering what others think. At first I thought it was a jerk. But then I wonder if it's not a steering thing but more a load shift thing.. One jerk and then normal. Intermittent. Maybe more or less every ten minutes at freeway speeds. And it's really scary so I haven't been able to catch if it shifts just to just one side or either and both sides.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sounds like a loose/worn front end. Tie rods, ball joints etc. Jack up the front end and grab the tires and check for play. Also check your tire pressure. Low air will do what your saying at highway speeds. Good luck...

·
Super Moderator
10,984 Posts
Have it checked by a pro, you are just asking for it driving it the way it is.......it's dangerous!
NO it is not normal.

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
Agree with RTF. It is not normal and it is possible that whatever is causing the phenomenon could separate/break and cause complete loss of steering and vehicle control.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks. I have guesses that it could be a CV axle half shaft locking up. And I agree it's not normal to do this. Never said it was normal. You misunderstood. I meant more as it drives normal except for when it does/after it does that. And it's very dangerous I agree. When it started to do this I limited it's use dramatically until I can get it in. I don't believe it's a tie rod end or ball joint. It's more like the whole weight of the engine shifts. Enough to point you off the road or into another lane if one's not vigilant. It was that or motor/trans mounts. Was hoping to call around for a quote on price before committing it to one mechanic as I still don't have a good one I'm comfortable with. Thanks and when I finally can figure it out I'll report back. Left side ball joint is new and tires always 37-38 and never under 32-35. All equally set as best I can keep them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Get ideas from here about what is likely to be wrong, shop around based on that info. And bring it in to confirm with whichever mechanic seems to know what he's doing, how he treats me, as well as price and expertise. There are a lot of extraneous factors, information gathering is the important first step before filtering out the noise. Easily one can narrow down what it likely is. Not going to bring it to a mechanic to diagnose and waste his time if he wants double shop time and overcharge and/or be stuck with a charge just to get an estimate. And ascertain tips and advice on self troubleshooting from the crowdsourcing of advice. It's a process. Not exactly cut and dry. My situation is different than others who can afford stealership rates. I need an exact flat rate and paying double, much less triple for a part is not in the equation for me. And it's not entirely true that I don't know what's wrong nor that I don't. I have an idea, and want confirmation before I actually mention it and lead people to say, oh sure. That's it. Instead of giving me other ideas on what it could be based on their experiences. I thank all the helpful answers as to what it could be from anyone who can add to the conversation.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks. I have guesses that it could be a CV axle half shaft locking up. And I agree it's not normal to do this. Never said it was normal. You misunderstood. I meant more as it drives normal except for when it does/after it does that. And it's very dangerous I agree. When it started to do this I limited it's use dramatically until I can get it in. I don't believe it's a tie rod end or ball joint. It's more like the whole weight of the engine shifts. Enough to point you off the road or into another lane if one's not vigilant. It was that or motor/trans mounts. Was hoping to call around for a quote on price before committing it to one mechanic as I still don't have a good one I'm comfortable with. Thanks and when I finally can figure it out I'll report back. Left side ball joint is new and tires always 37-38 and never under 32-35. All equally set as best I can keep them.
From a legal point of view, you should absolutely NOT be driving this car on a public road. A car that "Enough to point you off the road or into another lane if one's not vigilant." is an incident and lawsuit waiting to happen if it's serious enough. Notice I didn't call it an "accident", because it won't be.

Also, posting about a major mechanical issue and still driving it, that could cause harm to others will sink you like a stone if anything ever should happen. Lawyers love going thru people's accounts/postings that they are building a case against. You'll lose. Please save yourself a potential major hassle and have the car towed for service once you make up your mind. We'll all thank you!

Have a good day.

·
Registered
262 Posts
We could guess what the problem is here all day long, but until you bring it to a mechanic for their opinion , or someone on here actually looks at it, you can't start to repair your problem.
An estimate should cost less than $100, then you can decide to tackle the problem yourself.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We could guess what the problem is here all day long, but until you bring it to a mechanic for their opinion , or someone on here actually looks at it, you can't start to repair your problem.
An estimate should cost less than $100, then you can decide to tackle the problem yourself.
Super helpful bud. Going on a site that literally does guesses all-day and complaining that there are guesses all day long. I'll send you my Venmo/PayPal and you can send that $100 over shortly. Again, some of us aren't as fortunate as some of you. From this point forward, if you don't have mechanic advice you can go take a hike because the forum is called mechanics, not ethics, how how big one's bank account is.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First of all you
From a legal point of view, you should absolutely NOT be driving this car on a public road. A car that "Enough to point you off the road or into another lane if one's not vigilant." is an incident and lawsuit waiting to happen if it's serious enough. Notice I didn't call it an "accident", because it won't be.

Also, posting about a major mechanical issue and still driving it, that could cause harm to others will sink you like a stone if anything ever should happen. Lawyers love going thru people's accounts/postings that they are building a case against. You'll lose. Please save yourself a potential major hassle and have the car towed for service once you make up your mind. We'll all thank you!

Have a good day.
First of all you conveniently gleaned over the part that it's not being driven at all. Secondly your post is irrelevant to this forum, dismissive, accusatory, incendiary and aggressive. Why are you in an assistive repair forum to troll? Go to Facebook for that and leave people alone on here. You don't scare me with lawyer talk because I literally have trouble putting gas in the car or eating. But keep flexing. No one asked you for your opinion from a legal point of view so go stick it elsewhere. Says a lot when you're so focused about that. Or are you one of those trash members of society who go sir crazy because you can profit off of it. Or get off on the lower of hurting those less fortunate that you? Disgusting. Karma. Comes back multi-fold. Nice try at your attempt to give me thanks in the form of judgement. You "have a nice day." As if you actually meant that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys if you don't have anything of value to post to be helpful take the trolling to Facebook. Being jerks has no place here and actually worse than people who think they know anything and at least try an educated response at what it sounds like.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Has anyone had this happen. Slow around town driving, nothing but at load and freeway speeds if there's a small undulation in the road (not visible), and a wheel hits it just right. The whole car jerks once to one side and you have to grab hard at the steering wheel to correct it.
When it started to do this I limited it's use dramatically until I can get it in.

First of all you conveniently gleaned over the part that it's not being driven at all.
First, no where did you state that you were not driving the car at all! Want to try again? My many other posts speak for themselves. Sometimes safety concerns need to be pointed out! Don't get your panties in an uproar, it was nothing personal until you made it. That's my last statement!

Again,

Have a good day.

·
Super Moderator
741 Posts
Well, acdt has a point here. Obviously he doesn't value your help (nor your time or efforts), so why bother?
I would strongly advise both kevcules46 and paulday to refrain from posting on this thread from now on.

I am not closing this thread because in a helpful community such as this, there might be someone with a piece of advice that acdt might find acceptable. I won't delete the previous comments though, because he should know what he is getting into...

Stop harassing the moderators and do not reply to me. From now on, every post not pertaining to the "jerking" issue will be deleted.

·
Super Moderator
9,736 Posts
Thanks to seeing it reported I just found this thread. I didn't read thru every word but didn't see what year the car is except for it being posted on the 4.3 forum. (From another thread it's an '08 V6.)
Apparently the good advice of taking it to a mechanic has been rejected, even ridiculed. As Mick says more such childishness won't be tolerated. I'm tempted to delete most posts after the first few but will defer to Mick's judgment.

But acdt, if you've read this far I do have a related experience. While replacing a lower front control arm on a 4.1 years ago one of the large bolts on the inner end of the arm became cross-threaded such that I couldn't get it tight. The result while driving was eerily similar to the jerking motion you've described. With the untightened mount allowing maybe 1/16" inch of play that wheel would "float" several degrees left and right which it did at random depending on the road surface. The solution was jamming a custom made spacer into the gap to hold everything tight.

My daughter had something similar happen on a CRV years ago. Had a worn tie rod replaced but apparently the mechanic FORGOT to tighten the nut. She's driven it maybe 15 miles on the highway not noticing anything wrong. When she got into town the joint came apart and the wheel went full right. Fortunately she stopped safely.

·
Super Moderator
10,984 Posts
Mick Hatzo
I was just about to lock this down until I saw your post. It seems that some ask for help then ridicule those that offer it. I'll leave the future of this thread up to you, I'm out of it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Actually incorrect.
Mick Hatzo
I was just about to lock this down until I saw your post. It seems that some ask for help then ridicule those that offer it. I'll leave the future of this thread up to you, I'm out of it.
  1. The correction is to bad unhelpful advice from the people slamming and giving the real and true ridicule such as yourself and what you said. You and two others did not give any HELPFUL advice. "Just go to the mechanic" is not helpful. Saying "lawyers will clean you out" is not helpful. Aside from the last comment that suggested loose bolts on a control arm. That's very helpful. I react the same to however someone decides to treat me. Answering my question with a question with nothing else after I've provided detailed information? Not helpful. When someone asks for help, and then that person gets blasted with childish responses that have zero useful advice other than to chastise and lay blame or attempt guilt? What reaction were you wanting?? Maybe some people who responded don't speak English very well and that's their fault then. But when someone asks a question and other people give extraneous irrelevant comments or judgemental comments, that's how the reaction will be.

·
Super Moderator
9,736 Posts
....But when someone asks a question and other people give extraneous irrelevant comments or judgemental comments, that's how the reaction will be.
This is how the reaction of this forum is going to be: CLOSED
If you feel that other members who are trying to save you from crashing your car is unhelpful or judgemental there's no reason to keep your rants going either.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts