Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon all -- hope everyone is doing well.

So, 2013 Limited AWD, if the truck wasn't serviced by the dealer...what should have been done at 50k or 60k miles? The guy got oil changes religiously. Got regular engine flushes, changed some filters, etc. -- but that's about it.

I don't think he did any major services. I really don't want to take it to a dealer now -- price, inconvenience, etc. I have a very good local mechanic. Would he simply, automatically, know what to do at 50k or 60k?

What about 90k or 100k? The truck now has 95k miles. Runs excellent. However, I'd like to bring it to my local, quality mechanic, but I also would like to know what should have been done, what should I consider doing, etc. -- and will my mechanic know what to do?

Thanks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Factory recommended service requirements are listed in the Warranty & Maintenance Guide, available online at https://www.toyota.com/owners/resources/owners-manuals/rav4/2013 Starts on page 38.

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms-s/T-MMS-13RAV4/pdf/2013_Toyota_RAV4_WMG_lr.pdf
Thank you very much. I took a quick glance and will read the material in further detail. I greatly appreciate it.

My concern is that the dealer constantly tried to "fear" me into very expensive service work at mileage milestones -- 50k or 60k -- and the last time I spoke to the service manager, he really turned up the heat with fear, telling me something about an engine chain, computerized sensor something, and if it doesn't get "replaced" and it can go at any time, and then the entire engine can seize...or something along those lines.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Your dealer apparently is trying to get you to pay for his multi-million dollar mortgage for a very pricey mansion on the French Riviera. What you are being told is total BS and I would find another dealer if I wanted to continue having Toyota service your RAV, or tell your BS dealer that he is purveying BS and you are going to stick with the services listed in the Owner's Manual. I've done the second choice with my servicing dealer.

Reactions: BoomerNJ

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Blogson is absolutely right! Stick to the required factory maintenance schedule provided by Toyota. Stay away from any dealership "recommended" or "suggested" maintenance items. Every time I take my RAV4 to the dealer for a simple oil change/tire rotation, they try to tell me I need throttle body cleaning, fuel injector cleaning, transmission flush, etc. It's just a money-grab by the dealership and a lot of people fall for it.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
OK, here's an example. I just took my RAV4 to my dealer for the oil change/tire rotation on 7/31/17. Here's what the service record states:

YELLOW WINDSHIELD:MULTI-POINT INSPECTION FOUND CRACKS, CHIPS AND/OR PITTING ON THE WINDSHIELD.

There is one TINY chip right in the middle of the windshield not in driver's or passenger's field of view. It's been there for years and never even made a star.

YELLOW CABIN FILTER:MULTI-POINT INSPECTION FOUND YELLOW IN-CABIN AIR FILTER.
YELLOW AIR FILTER:MULTI-POINT INSPECTION FOUND YELLOW ENGINE AIR FILTER

I replaced both air filters myself back on 11/07/17. Give me a break!

RED STATE INSP: MULTI-POINT INSPECTION FOUND EXPIRED STATE INSPECTION

Uh no, if they had cared to look, the sticker is clearly marked 02/18!

And finally,

RED CABIN FILTER: MULTI-POINT INSPECTION FOUND RED IN-CABIN AIR FILTER

Yes, apparently the filter is both yellow and red at the same time. I never get green for anything, even brand new tires. I think their computer just spits this stuff out at random.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Blogson is absolutely right! Stick to the required factory maintenance schedule provided by Toyota. Stay away from any dealership "recommended" or "suggested" maintenance items. Every time I take my RAV4 to the dealer for a simple oil change/tire rotation, they try to tell me I need throttle body cleaning, fuel injector cleaning, transmission flush, etc. It's just a money-grab by the dealership and a lot of people fall for it.

My experience has been identical except that my dealer tried to talk me into an engine and crankcase flush, something like $250; new battery, $100 (my OEM battery is still fine two years later); injector and throttle body cleaning, $450; etc.

I think that you're being somewhat kind about your dealer's computer spitting out "suggested services" at random - my take is that the service writer has a look at the customer and then decides how much money they think that they can gouge out of him or her. When my wife took her CR-V to the Honda dealer for a recall repair they tried to gouge her for new tires for some astronomical price. I inspect the tires on her CR-V and at the time they were no where near needing replacement and told her that it was an attempted rip-off. She then phoned the dealer and read him the riot act (she doesn't have any inhibition about doing so) and a few hours later the manager phoned her back to apologize for trying to sell her new tires.

Reactions: BoomerNJ

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. The dealer service area business model has changed -- and for the consumer, not for better -- so much in the past, what, 15 to 20 years. Maybe more.

So I read over the material -- and it looks like there is nothing really major to replace. Right? Aren't there any mechanical parts, important ones, that they recommend changing/replacing after X years or 100,000 miles. Common sense tells me that parts just have a life cycle. My Rav is running well, but after buying it off the lease, now I get nervous. LOL.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Thanks everyone. The dealer service area business model has changed -- and for the consumer, not for better -- so much in the past, what, 15 to 20 years. Maybe more.

So I read over the material -- and it looks like there is nothing really major to replace. Right? Aren't there any mechanical parts, important ones, that they recommend changing/replacing after X years or 100,000 miles. Common sense tells me that parts just have a life cycle. My Rav is running well, but after buying it off the lease, now I get nervous. LOL.

Thanks again.
Brake fluid flush/refill, oil/filter change, radiator flush/refill, transmission flush/refill/filter replacement (including torque converter), differential drain/refill and replacing all belts and hoses are areas that you may want to look into eventually do to the mileage on your vehicle.

Don't worry about replacing timing chain, spark plugs, gaskets, water pump, CV joints and wheel bearings unless you have issues; same goes for your alternator, although I would test its current output and replace it if necessary.

Battery; brake pads/rotors; bulbs; air/cabin filters; shocks/struts; spark plugs; thermostat; tires and wiper blades are all on an as needed basis. Lube/oil whatever needs it, i.e., door/hood hinges, locks (graphite), etc. Check for leaking/weak rear hatch struts and change the battery in your key fob(s).

My 2 cents! :wink

1 - 10 of 10 Posts