Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trolling the board trying to make a decision on what unit I would like to replace my factory unit with because let's face it, it's really ugly.

(that and I can't read the screen during the daytime because it is not backlit)

So, I have been struggling for two reasons:

1) I can't make a decision and would like assistance

2) Should I do it or should I have a professional do the work

I don't want to break the bank but I am wanting to get a unit that pretty much does it all. (blue tooth, GPS, DVD - I would prefer to override the E Brake, call/music with the GPS working...blah)

I have been looking at the Advent OTORAV1 but I am not sure where to purchase it.

http://www.adventproducts.com/search/?sku=otorav1

The other option I was looking at was this Jensen from Crutchfield.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_110VX7020/Jensen-VX7020.html

Any feed back would be great!

I replaced my unit in my former 2001 RAV so I have some knowledge in what I am doing but I am looking for some reassurance.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I too have been looking at different audio options from Crutchfield. But since I have a Garmin GPS with lifetime map updates (but I use my Android smartphone most of the time) if/when I get a new stereo it won't have Nav. I've bought a lot of equipment from Crutchfield before and their service and support are fantastic.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I like Clarion and Pioneer and have had both. The Advent looks like a real nice unit. I did a search just out of curiosity to find out more about them. I saw prices from around $500 to over $1200. Here's the link to the search: https://www.google.com/search?q=Advent+OTORAV1&rlz=1C1CHWA_enUS597US597&oq=Advent+OTORAV1&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

I'm not a big fan of Jensen, but that's me. If you like it and it has the sound and features you want, then go for it!
Crutchfield has an excellent reputation and they also have the DIY videos. Might be worth looking at, if for nothing else to see what other options maybe out there. I just replaced my stock radio with a single din unit that I had that was a couple of years old. I had them install my amp and small 8" sub. I'm going to eventually replace the door speakers and the combo tweeter and have them powered by the amp as well. The sound is better than stock but the stock speakers have a really poor response. It still sounds better but a bit muddled.

As for the installation, I've done quite a few but I've paid to have my systems installed in the last few cars I've bought. If you have a shop do it for you, look them up and see what kind of feedback they're getting. The place I went to had good reviews but ended up breaking both of the bezels on either side of the radio. The shop owner ordered the new parts from Toyota and installed them, but it was still a hassle.

Good luck!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,326 Posts
Last year, my daughter wanted me to pick out a car stereo to give to her husband for Christmas. I picked this one:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158WXGT...T.html?tp=5684

And he couldn't be happier. We got the XM receiver module cheaper through Amazon. I helped him install it and it's an awesome system. It's got every feature I could want and more. And I also use my iphone for navigation. The Google Maps voice is heard on the speakers through Bluetooth.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Kenwood DDX series. Had one in my older Passat and am seriously considering it for the Rav4. Easy system to use and the touch screen was great. Look that series up on crutchfield.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had put a Pioneer in my 2001 RAV and I really did like it and when I bought the 2012 I was disappointed with what was there.

It does not help that we just bought a 2015 Highlander so now I feel like I am driving some out of date electronic.

I am open to anything to get ideas before I make the plunge.

As for the install the concern I have are the plastics and the bezel. I did do the bypass switch in my 2001 but for some reason I am spooked on the 2012.

Are my feelings unfounded?

·
Registered
328 Posts
If you wait a little bit by the end of the year, Apple has announced wireless Carplay will be available as soon as they release iOS 9.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The radio bezels come out easy enough. Don't try to pry from just one side and then pop it out. Start prying at the bottom and work your way around. I'd recommend a trim removal tool, buy a set for a few bucks at Harbor Freight. Don't use a screwdriver to pry them out and don't force them, they will crack. i couldn't believe how expensive the radio bezels are....$65 each side and that's on ebay! :surprise

I'll post pix of my radio and the bezels tomorrow.

·
Registered
59 Posts
[FONT=&quot]We replaced the factory 6.1" Nav unit in my wife’s 2012 Limited (P10296 on factory faceplate, non-JBL) with a Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX. While we do have a few things that we are disappointed with, we are very happy with this unit and would highly recommend it. I hope to have time to write up a full review some time.

The biggest thing that we were disappointed with is Apple's issue not Pioneer's. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]While, Pioneer's App Radio mode allows you to operate Waze on the 8100NEX screen, I found that I like using Waze on [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]my iPhone6 mounted to the windshield[/FONT] better. That way you always have Waze and the audio source controls visible and accessible without having to switch back and forth. [/FONT]We were interested in CarPlay when we purchased the 8100NEX. Unfortunately, you cannot run Carplay and Waze at the same time, so we did not end up using CarPlay. I doubt iOS 9 will fix this.[/FONT]

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
$1400?!? Ouch.

We had originally put a Kenwood DDX371 in but the bluetooth had issues. Would just randomly drop the connection.

We then went with the Clarion NX404 which we got for $281 during Black Friday...season.
Clarion NX404 Navigation receiver at Crutchfield.com

Built in Nav for spots with bad cell reception. Bluetooth, HDMI input that lets you mirror your phone, Pandora, backup cam, the works. Not sure what the extra $1000 gets you over the $400 range units. Just the CarPlay which until they add Waze support doesn't really get you much.

Definitely recommend DIY on the install. Doesn't get much simpler than in the RAV.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah, $1400 is a lot. However, you can find the AVIC-8100NEX on Amazon for much less (from $890). That is still expensive for many, but we already had a factory 6.1" nav system that we were not happy with, so we decided to spend the extra to get a larger and capacitive screen, faster operation, better audio quality, more features and better bluetooth phone audio quality. I have no experience with the Clarion or other current model head units. The Clarion looks like a good unit and $281 is a great deal. My feature comparisons listed above are versus the stock nav unit that we originally had.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.