Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New to the forum (and hopefully a RAV4 owner soon!).

I am looking at two different RAV4s and I was hoping to get some feedback on them from some of you. Both are 4 cylinder.

Here is the first one (2008; 88000 miles; 4x4): https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/673666120/overview/

Here is the second one(2006; 87000 miles; FWD): https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/674975373/overview/

They are basically the same except the first one is 4x4 and the second is FWD. I do not need 4x4 so I have no preference there. The first also has a slightly more detailed CarFax. Both are single owner. The first one indicates that it has had the oil consumption test. The second one does not indicate that, so I'd need to check on that. Both are for sale from Toyota dealers where the cars were serviced, though, so I'd imagine they'll know what I'm talking about if I asked.

Any thoughts on these? I know many of you are weary of the 4 cylinder, so that's why I wanted to ask here since I am new to RAV4s. All suggestions are greatly appreciated!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,889 Posts
Go to Toyota Owners Official Web Site and sign up. Enter the VIN of both cars and check the service history. It will show any and all servicing done at a Toyota dealer. Click on the date of each entry for more details.

·
Super Moderator
11,457 Posts
2006 through 2008 2.4l engines are known oil burners......steer clear. In '09 they changed the engine to a 2.5l and cured the problems in the earlier models. I would not even consider either one with the 2.4l engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Go to Toyota Owners Official Web Site and sign up. Enter the VIN of both cars and check the service history. It will show any and all servicing done at a Toyota dealer. Click on the date of each entry for more details.
Thanks for the tip (that's a pretty cool Toyota feature for owners). I went ahead and did this. It looks like the 2006 has not had the oil test done to it, but the 2008 has and they replaced pistons and rings.

2006 through 2008 2.4l engines are known oil burners......steer clear. In '09 they changed the engine to a 2.5l and cured the problems in the earlier models. I would not even consider either one with the 2.4l engine.
It sounds like I definitely need to avoid the 2006 since it hasn't had the work done to it. What do you think about the 2008 since it has had the pistons replaced to fix the issue? Did the oil burning likely cause some lasting damage to car?

Thanks for the response!

·
Super Moderator
11,457 Posts
It sounds like I definitely need to avoid the 2006 since it hasn't had the work done to it. What do you think about the 2008 since it has had the pistons replaced to fix the issue? Did the oil burning likely cause some lasting damage to car?
Demand proof. All I saw on the carfax was that it had been tested twice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Demand proof. All I saw on the carfax was that it had been tested twice.
Yeah the Car fax doesn't show it but it does show what they've done on the Toyota Owners website. It reports they've replaced the pistons and rings per the TSB.
And in Massachusetts and you say you have no need for 4x4? Do you only drive may to August LOL...
Haha no I already own a 2013 Volvo XC60. Just need it as a commuter car.

·
Registered
263 Posts
+1 here, I'd go 2009+

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the help so far! I was browsing some listings and came across this 2005 (gen 2) RAV4: Used 2005 Toyota RAV4 For Sale in Ridgefield, CT | VIN: JTEHD20V850042904

It looks like it's been taken care of very well. Only 42k miles. Serviced regularly. I cannot find much information comparing gen 2 RAV4s to gen 3 RAV4s. Would a 2005 be nice? I know they are smaller, which isn't a big deal. They seem to be the most reliable year of gen 2 and more reliable than 06-08 gen 3. Is that about right?

Right now I feel like it's between the 08 RAV4 (4 cylinder, 87k miles, oil consumption fixed, water pump replaced) and the 05 listed above. What do ya'll think?

I appreciate all the help so far!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts