Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I finally put some Rubber on my 18” Enkei R6’s.
Because of cost and selection in the 235/ 50 / 18 size I settled for the Hankook Ventus K104. In Canada they are almost $700 US out the door .

All my previous tires purchases (not included 3pr OEM’s) have been upper level all season Bridgestone (2) and Pirelli (1) . So far my Bridgestone’s have been my favorite.

I was really looking forward to this day but sadly as I was leaving the shop the tires howled progressively from 8 to 40 mph :shock: :shock:
My friends wife has the K104 on her Mercedes and she claims it went away within a few months. I hope really hope that’s the case.

I have heard howling stories from other Summer performance tires but it was due to unevenly wear in the center late in there lives.

As for the reviews at 101tires the issues are very conflicting.

Also I have driven a few cars like a Porsche Boxter and a Modified Honda’s with summers (non-symmetrical) and was not impressed with the k104’s steering either. I may up the fronts from 35 to 38 LB’s to see if I get a crisper feel.
They did of course hold better around corners and potholes are definitely more noticeable.

I did only drive them for only 4 miles so there’s probably more I will find out and hopefully for the better :)

If anyone has had Ventus k104’s or a similar design summer tire with some input I would appreciate it

Cheers :D

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I drove about 20 more miles and the weather has been cooler in the last 2 days and the tires do handle nice.

However the noise builds up from 20 mph and maxes around 40 mph.

Tomorrow I go to the tire shop and hope they come up with the solution. :roll:

R

·
0 Posts
mionee67 said:
Well, I drove about 20 more miles and the weather has been cooler in the last 2 days and the tires do handle nice.

However the noise builds up from 20 mph and maxes around 40 mph.

Tomorrow I go to the tire shop and hope they come up with the solution. :roll:

U HAD to go and try something different. Did you?!!! LOL!!!
Let us know.....

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I phoned Hankook Canadian head office yesterday and of course they said the tire should not make that noise unless it has some uneven wear and the tire so that should not be the case. They said go back to the tire shop and let them figure it out.

I phoned the Tire shop today and wow what a bunch of crappy answers I got.

1. The tire/ wheel is heavier (not true) . Then what would happen if I had steel rims. :shock:
2. The tire/ wheel is bigger (not true) :shock:

3. The footprint is bigger (probably true but not that much) This should not be an issue.

So tomorrow I will swing by my mechanic and take him for a test ride. I should have made the purchase with in the first place.
Hope he forgives me :lol:

After that I will go to the tire shop with an answer and know what to ask for.

As for the noise. The sound is best described like someone rolling down the window on the Freeway when driving closely by a concrete guardrail.

R

·
0 Posts
mionee67 said:
As for the noise. The sound is best described like someone rolling down the window on the Freeway when driving closely by a concrete guardrail.

Ouch !
That has got to be nasty.
Sorry dude. I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Your experience almost sounds like mine when I put on my new rims and tires last week. Decided to go with cheaper Kumho tires to save money. Instead of a noise problem like you have, I had a steering wheel shaking problem at highway speeds. Turns out that tires were just bad. Spent even MORE money to get new Pirelli P Zero Nero's instead and got my money's worth. Definitely don't go cheap on tires. Or if you do, do a bit of research first on the tire to see if there are customer complaints. Here's what I found on your tires..

http://www.1010tires.com/tirereviews/Hankook_Ventus_Sport_K104_tire_reviews.html

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Slayer first off thanks allot for giving some input on the matter.

Did you get a refund from the tire shop?

You would not believe the research I had done from over a year ago. First on my winters and that went excellent. But with the summers I had only a few months to buy them and I was finding the selection vs. price I had to mach the Enkei 235 50 18’s was limited. Also 2 deals on Ebay went bad so I was running on winters until last week.
From the research I would have defiantly gone for the Goodyear F1 D3’s if it for a high performance summer and the next more practical option was the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S which someone forgot to unlock me from bidding on 2 weeks ago on Ebay.
My friend’s wife has a set of the Hankook Ventus’s and they say they are just fine for moderate high performance tires.
As for the 101 complaints. Well I had read them a few times and they are very contradicting. More than the other reviews.

My mechanic thinks the noise is from the tire without going for a test ride. I took the tire shop today and took the rep. for a spin and he noticed the noise but has no explanation and just says that H-performance tires are load.

Anyhow, Tomorrow I will pop the 2 rear summers and throw on the winters to see if it is the rear tires. If the sound goes away then I will try L &R rear separately.
One other thing I forgot to mention. The tire shop used manual hydraulic jacks located on the ground and I am hoping they didn’t bend something under my car. :shock:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts