Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
If my wife or I am not wearing sun glasses, we can see the instrument cluster very well. When wearing sun glasses neither of us can see the tach, mph ,etc very well. I have read on this forum that people have trouble seeing the navigation screen, but I cannot find any information on others not being able to see the instrument cluster. In order to know how fast I am going I have to remove my sun glasses. We have a 2016 Limited Hybrid. Does anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would imagine they would be, but I also wear polarized sunglasses and while the screen DOES get dimmer, I still can see everything. OP, have you tied adjusting and brightness and contrast in your setup setting?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I just have a simple pair of clip-ons that I put on over my transition bifocals and I have no problem whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
No problem with my polarized sunglasses. Of course it's dimmer though. Kind of a funny thread if you ask me. I'm pretty sure any one will attest to it being dimmer with sunglasses as opposed to with out. Sunglasses tend to do that to anything. It's crazy magic.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, but my wife's are Transition lenses. I would not think that would make a difference unless the glass in front of the gauges was polarized. The gauges are not blacked out, but just very hard to see.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I have the dash lights turned up all the way. Today is the first cloudy day since we bought the car a week ago, and with the overcast sky I can see the dash fine with sunglasses. There must be some sort of glare effect on the glass in front of the gauges on bright cloudless days here in the Colorado mountains, which my sunglasses do not remove.????????????????

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,093 Posts
Yes, I have the dash lights turned up all the way. Today is the first cloudy day since we bought the car a week ago, and with the overcast sky I can see the dash fine with sunglasses. There must be some sort of glare effect on the glass in front of the gauges on bright cloudless days here in the Colorado mountains, which my sunglasses do not remove.????????????????
DashMat solves that. The glare off that dash is pretty bad.

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,093 Posts
https://www.coverking.com/custom-dash-covers/front-dash-covers/molded-one-piece-cover.html

Makes a big difference.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes, but my wife's are Transition lenses. I would not think that would make a difference unless the glass in front of the gauges was polarized. The gauges are not blacked out, but just very hard to see.
I also have a pair of transition glasses but when I use them instead of my sunglasses there is no dimming of the screens what so ever.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Today is the first cloudy day since we bought the car a week ago, and with the overcast sky I can see the dash fine with sunglasses. There must be some sort of glare effect on the glass in front of the gauges on bright cloudless days here in the Colorado mountains, which my sunglasses do not remove.????????????????
Ahhhhhh,,,,now that's a different story! When the sun is hitting the screens it is almost impossible to see them, sunglasses or not. Toyota should have "hooded" them a bit just to hide the glare of the sun.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The angle on these thing is reflecting sun lights... But it's not as bad as the touchscreen... When I had my sunglasses on the touch screen for the camera is almost useless even with brightness all the way up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
In every car I ever owned, I have experienced that whilst wearing sunglasses. In fact, the RAV4 Hybrid owners manual even states that the instruments will be harder to see with sunglasses. I have clip-ons on my glasses that I cut the lower portion off with scissors, so my outward view is darker, but dash area is normal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2015 Limited and the dash is impossible to read in bright sunlight when you wear sunglasses. The odometer area is lit all of the time easy to see and the other dash instruments should be lit as well especially during bright daytime hours. I contacted Toyota and asked about a fix to turn the dash lights on full time and was told there is no fix and there are no plans to fix.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts