Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all -

This is my first post on this forum after lurking now and then since getting my RAV in '98. I'm hoping to get some help...

I've got a '98 RAV4 which - on one bright and cold morning - I managed to snap the driver side sun visor clean off, breaking the plastic "arm" at the bend.

The dealership told me those are expensive to replace new, so I was hoping that somebody could tell me what to look for in the way of used parts. I've checked eBay and was wondering if the RAV4 uses the same visor that some other Toyota models might use, since I was unable to find one specifically designed for the RAV.

Also, would I be able to install it myself with just a screwdriver? Or does it get more complicated that I should take it to a mechanic?

Thanks!

·
Registered
779 Posts
On finding a replacement part I was thinking about a similar issue the other day whilst sitting in the car.

I used to own a 1991 Corolla and was surprised to find the number of parts that looked unchanged in my 1999 RAV4 (afterall 8 years had passed).

The sun visors looked the same, so did the mirror adjust switch, the indicator/headlight/windsreen wiper switcharms and the clock.

Snapping sun visors was a common problem in the Corolla so (if they are the same) I am not surprised that this happened to you.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

Franco, if you have one let me know - I'd be interested in purchasing it from you.

Ian, thanks for the info. If a RAV one doesn't turn up, I'll try my luck with a visor from a more common model Toyota.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello,

My driver's side sun visor also snapped off. I moved the passenger side one over to the drivers, it sort of fits but hangs down from the roof a bit.

I've looked at the dealer and a replacement is around $70 Cdn. What I'm really looking for is a replacement with a slide-out extender as I find the stock unit too small for the side window. Toyota doesn't make one specifically for a 1998 RAV. However, I've eyeballed the size etc. of the ones in the new 1996 RAV4 and it looks like it might work, and includes a slide-out extender.

The problem is that I'd have to spend $135Cdn for a 1996 version and I'd be stuck with it if it didn't fit well. Plus, that's just way too much for a sun visor!

Changing them is dead-simple, just three screws. I guess maybe I'll look at wreckers for a corolla visor. Anyone know if they made those wide extenders?

Ken

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you guys considered scrap yards? Alot of them are interconnected on one computer network, so if you go to one they may be able to locate the part for you. It is insanely cheaper than buying new. Its hard to find junked Ravs, but when you do, there is usually a good part or two to be had from them.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Need a replacement visor for a 96 Rav

I know this is an old post and this is my first time posting... but I'm trying to find a good place to get a replacement Visor. I just picked up my 96 but it was missing the driver's side sun visor :( Anybody have one to sell? Or has anyone figured out if another model of the same year would work?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I still haven't replaced mine properly either, although I haven't tried too hard. ;)

I took a closer look at the newer RAVs and their visors will not fit, so I haven't been able to locate a visor that will work that also has the pull-out extender for when it's in the side window position, which is what I really want.

I'm going to try a few wreckers to see what I can turn up, but I'm a little worried that a used one will just break as they seem to wear out with normal use pretty quickly.

I'd also be interested if any one has some to sell, etc.

Regards,
Ken

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Drifter! I noticed the same advice on the 4.1 General forum and went ahead and ordered myself a replacement visor from these guys. Decent prices, thanks for the tip!

Regards,
Ken

1 - 18 of 18 Posts