Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while driving home on the freeway yesterday doing 70 mph in my 2012 RAV4 Ltd. my Sunroof Glass Exploded :surprise!
sounded like a gun shot , it startled me .... then heard ting ting coming off the roof, but couldn't stop due to construction .
I slid open the valence to the sunroof and WOW it was all shattered , and there was a hole about 15 in long x 5 in .
Has this happened to anyone ?? if so , haven't seen any TSB's on this
BTW, I never saw a rock fly up at the windshield while I was driving.
* see attached photo ( the white lines in the photo are from Overhead Lighting at Toyota Service Bay )

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
while driving home on the freeway yesterday doing 70 mph in my 2012 RAV4 Ltd. my Sunroof Glass Exploded :surprise!
sounded like a gun shot , it startled me .... then heard ting ting coming off the roof, but couldn't stop due to construction .
I slid open the valence to the sunroof and WOW it was all shattered , and there was a hole about 15 in long x 5 in .
Has this happened to anyone ?? if so , haven't seen any TSB's on this
BTW, I never saw a rock fly up at the windshield while I was driving.
* see attached photo ( the white lines in the photo are from Overhead Lighting at Toyota Service Bay )
Well i can say this - rocks come out of nowhere and hit so fast you can’t see them. I once had a rock hit my windshield that appeared to just fall out of the sky. No other cars on the road except the one ahead about a tenth of a mile.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
If you Google this there are reports on many other manufactures as well. It does happen but it does not appear to be wide spread.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If there's a tension in glass then it would crack immediately when glass and car are new. On 7 year old car, highly improbable. Looking at the photo it was definitely hit with something to cause it to break. Tension crack blows the whole glass, impact looks localized like that...

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
There is an update in the November Consumer Reports about exploding sunroofs, mostly the panoramic sort. Some manufacturers are using laminated safety glass in their sunroofs but Toyota is not listed as being one of them. But an exploding sunroof is a safety issue and should be reported to the NHTSA.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yeah, there should be two petitions, one to stop manufacturers from making exploding glass, and second one to NHTSA to sweep the rocks and debris off highways...

·
Registered
893 Posts
I don't think it exploded. Generally when one blows out it's because someone closes a door and the pressure blows it out. Since you were in a construction zone something most likely hit it.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
did you have someone tint the sunroof?
My 2018 has a tinted sunroof but it's not tinted enough. I asked the dealership if they could put additional tint on to darken.
They told me never add more tint to a sunroof. Causes it to explode :surprise

·
Registered
112 Posts
My 2018 has a tinted sunroof but it's not tinted enough. I asked the dealership if they could put additional tint on to darken.
Interesting, I had asked my independent tint installer to do the the same. He didn't want to but tried. said the tint wont stick to the sunroof. That didn't make sense to me. He did say they don't like to do it because it can cause the glass to explode. He said that when the tint rejects heat, it transfers the heat into the glass making it super hot and causing it to explode. Well if that is happening why aren't the side windows exploding? I don't know if I believe him but in any event, there seems to be a stigma around putting tint on sunroofs.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Interesting, I had asked my independent tint installer to do the the same. He didn't want to but tried. said the tint wont stick to the sunroof. That didn't make sense to me. He did say they don't like to do it because it can cause the glass to explode. He said that when the tint rejects heat, it transfers the heat into the glass making it super hot and causing it to explode. Well if that is happening why aren't the side windows exploding? I don't know if I believe him but in any event, there seems to be a stigma around putting tint on sunroofs.
My guess is, since sunroof is on top, it gets 100% of the sun's heat and the additional heat gets absorbed by tint and it transfers to glass and explodes.

·
Super Moderator
9,413 Posts
My guess is, since sunroof is on top, it gets 100% of the sun's heat and the additional heat gets absorbed by tint and it transfers to glass and explodes.
True. The only exception might be northern Alaska or Canada where the sun stays relatively low all day. That's the reason when I installed solar panels on my BIL's cabin in McCarthy AK I put them on the side. They got as much sun as on the roof but with no snow load.
Also unlike side windows sunroofs have a cover below them that keeps the heat from escaping. At least that means the glass doesn't fall on the occupants.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I've heard this, but my '16 Corolla has been doing just fine in Southern California weather including three summers in excess of 110 degrees with 25% tint.

I think the tint thing is an excuse the dealers are using to avoid a warranty replacement, just like GM dealers blaming owners running below 1/4 tank for their fuel pump failures in the '80s

·
Registered
1 Posts
This happened to me today while driving through town at 45 miles an hour. 2015 RAV4 XLE. Sunroof glass exploded outward about a 6”x12” sized hole. Made the loudest noise I’ve ever heard. Sunroof was just tilted open from the back. Glass fell everywhere and continued to make slight noises as if more glass was going to break.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jrusk, my insurance didn't want to pay for the Headliner be Dropped ( unknown to me at first ) .... dealer vacuumed out what they could, replaced sunroof and new gaskets.... got call from dealer all fixed..... went to pick up and inspect , tried lift function Good, tried to open Back , Heard CRUNCHING and Scrapping sound ( additional glass chards all way back in the track) The tech was right there, said it worked before .... Smoke was coming out of my Ears along with choice 4 letter words.... then tech told me about insurance didn't want to pay to drop headliner! I Called the Adjuster and ripped him a New "One" ! Needless to say they had to do the whole job all over and it cost the insurance company a lot more $ .... Too Bad, do it right the 1st time Village Idiots !
still have my 2012 Rav4 Ltd. and it works great now

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've heard this, but my '16 Corolla has been doing just fine in Southern California weather including three summers in excess of 110 degrees with 25% tint.

I think the tint thing is an excuse the dealers are using to avoid a warranty replacement, just like GM dealers blaming owners running below 1/4 tank for their fuel pump failures in the '80s
Dyed films will absorb the heat instead of reflecting it back out, and therefore the glass heats up. We would only tint moonroofs/sunroofs with full-metal films.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not sure why anyone would tint their moon roof when there is a sliding cover to block all the light.
The most common answer I would get when I asked a customer was they still wanted to have the light shining thru but not the heat. So we would often just put on a lighter shade of film.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts