Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else having issues with the black plastic inserts on the side rails of their sunroof. They are located to the driver and passenger sides where the wind deflector arm attaches to the frame. Simple tabs to hold them in place. My tabs broke and the insert fell off. Dealer says they are not replaceable.

A littler perplexed because the dealer recommended a salvage yard scrounging, or the purchase of a new $900 frame.

Any workarounds?

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sorry to hear about this.

I haven't had this specific problem but I had to replace one of the "accordian" shaped rubber pieces on either side of the sunroof interior.
The other "good" one is on it's way out.

How did the tabs break off?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know how they broke, but it fell off after we removed the "accordian" piece for replacement. I'm wondering if it broke and then started wearing on the accordion piece, because mine was split along the lower edge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just received a quote from Olathe Toyota (out of KS) that says it is part of a drive cable assembly, with a replacement value of $440.00. I'm thinking I may have to clean the grease out of the track, and off the broken part and glue it in place rather relying on the tabs.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
Is there a Toyota part number molded into the plastic? If so, you can probably order just that part regardless of what the dealer says.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you JuneBug. The only part numbers I could see after using a good level of magnification refer back to the DuPont polymer that the part is made from. DuPont Zytel.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I don't know how they broke, but it fell off after we removed the "accordian" piece for replacement. I'm wondering if it broke and then started wearing on the accordion piece, because mine was split along the lower edge.
Have you by chance ever opened your sunroof below freezing by accident or not (or even hit the button)?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
KJPAT08 - Don't know. We just bought it as a used vehicle earlier this spring. Recent update from a parts place is that they say it is part of the cable assembly, but these parts look static, and it doesn't look like there was any cable attached or fed to/from the part. I'll investigate further this weekend.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
R417W - the window appears to open and close fine. I'm beginning to wonder if they are part of the packaging for shipping the sunroof prior to installation. The dealer parts list do not ID any replacement.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Anyone else having issues with the black plastic inserts on the side rails of their sunroof. They are located to the driver and passenger sides where the wind deflector arm attaches to the frame. Simple tabs to hold them in place. My tabs broke and the insert fell off. Dealer says they are not replaceable.
A well known issue overseas where the remedy is to skin the dealer and cover the gap with his hide.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Forget ahbout it.

R417W - the window appears to open and close fine. I'm beginning to wonder if they are part of the packaging for shipping the sunroof prior to installation. The dealer parts list do not ID any replacement.
If if works just fine, no need to worry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts