Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a beautiful Galactic Aqua Rav4 Platinum whose sunroof works sometimes. I brought it to the dealer, they replaced the switch, and it worked perfect, until 79kms later when I got home. I actually went right back in, and it worked, and five minutes later it didn't. The dealer replaced the switch again, it worked for about two days, and then stopped working.

If I went and tried it now, it would work, but five minutes later, it won't. This is driving me crazy. Its not like I use it much, as I live in Newfoundland Canada, but hey, I paid for it, and the vehicle is only one month old, it should be working. any ideas?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Threaten them with lemon law that has 3 times to fix the issue. Replacing the switch again was pretty stupid of them IMO. Sounds like a possible motor or connection to motor issue which is going to be way more work than the easy route they are attempting (read hoping) it was.

·
Registered
428 Posts
You're trying to operate it with the engine running, right? Not after shutting it off, correct?
Mine operates fine with motor off. Just closed it today as I was getting out the door (smart key option).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Like any window, you can operate the sunroof for up to 30 seconds after you turn off the car or until you open the drivers door.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
unfortunately, we do not have the 'Lemon Law' in Canada. The vehicle is leased, I wonder if I have any leverage there? I try it with the engine running or off, same thing, it works sometimes. What I don't understand is why is doesn't work sometimes, but if I wait a few minutes, it works fine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Take it to the dealer and leave it with them and get you a rental--its either wiring to the motor or a bad motor, we know its not the switch...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My vehicle is now at Toyota. It will be left there until the problem is fixed. I threatened to trade the Rav4 in for a Honda. I warned the technician to leave the Rav4 in the direct sunshine. In the past, they took the vehicle into the shop, where the roof cooled, and worked perfectly. They loaned me a Corolla until the vehicle is fixed. I don't have high expectations.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got a call yesterday. They said my car was fixed. I took the drive in, it is a 45 minute drive across the highway. I had absolutely no hope it would be fixed, but then again, the garage had my Rav4 for over a week. When I got there, I was met by the service manager. He was smiling. That was a good sign, I hope.
He said the problem had everyone stumped. He said they removed and replaced the switch (again), and waited for the roof to heat up, and nothing. He said they removed and replaced a ECU (not sure what that was) and tried it, and nothing. He said they even removed the sunroof, and saw nothing wrong. When they replaced it, nothing. He said the last resort was to use the wiring diagram and trace every wire associated with the sunroof. That's where they found the problem.

Apparently in the A-Pillar there is a wiring block. The power wire from the sunroof to the battery runs down the A-Pillar. Inside the block, there were two wires. One wire was plugged in, while the other was loose. A theory by one of the technicians working on the car was that while the block was cold, the wire made contact, but when it heated, the wire became loose and made no contact. When they replaced the block and securely plugged the wire in, the roof opened and closed perfectly.

I was lucky yesterday. The temperature was 28 Celsius. This almost never happens here in Newfoundland, but it made for good roof testing. I left the car at the lot to make sure it was good and hot, and when I tried the switch, the roof responded immediately. It worked all day yesterday. today, the weather is cold, so can't test it but I am confident the problem is now solved. I hope. Thanks to everyone who commented and offered their suggestions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts