Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the situation I'm in. I have a Sport V6 4x4. After I installed a homelink/compass autodimming mirror, my sunroof seems to act differently. It's supposed to do a one touch auto open/close thing and now it's completely manual only. I have to hold the button down, or nothing happens, plus there seems to be a delay inbetween when I press the button and any movement occuring. Has anyone had anything like this happen? Did I accidentally turn off the auto open/close feature somehow? Any ideas on how I could get it to turn on again? It works fine other than having to hold the button down, and the mirror works great also. The main issue is that it's hard to know exactly when it's in the fully closed position and when to release the button(if you hold the close button, it will slide closed and then continue on to the popped up position, same thing going the other way). Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
760 Posts
See page 31, top right corner of the owners manual, it talks about normalizing the moonroof with how/to instructions. Hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it fixed! The normalizing moonroof procedure got it the one touch feature working again. I had to run through it twice, but it's all good now. Thanks for the tip RAYDAHS. And I didn't disconnect the battery, but I did disconnect the sunroof harness while I was splicing into it for power to the autodimming mirror. Pretty much the same affect though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, should have thought to list that. You just hold down the close/tilt button down - the roof will tilt up, tilt down, open, close and then stop. You can then release the button and it should be normalized. Like I mentioned, I had to do this twice to get it to get back to normal one-touch operation.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Here it is from the manual...

If the moon roof does not operate automatically
or the jam protection function
does not operate correctly, you should
normalize the moon roof.
To normalize the moon roof, push and
hold the moon roof switch on the “TILT
UP” side until the roof fully tilts up. Then
release the switch. Push and hold the
switch on the “TILT UP” side until the
moon roof tilts up, tilts down, slides open
and then closes automatically.
Make sure that the moon roof opens and
closes automatically. If the moon roof cannot
be operated properly, have it checked
by your Toyota dealer.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Great info.

Seem to have a translation chuckle here.

"Normalization" is probably an attempt to say "Reset" or "Initialize"

No matter what they call it, it's nice to know how to do it.

·
Registered
760 Posts
BlackFlagMN – Glad it turned out to be a simple fix. IIRC, this was happening quite a bit to the Highlander owners a couple of years ago over on Edmunds.

On another note, I had the opportunity to drive both the 06’ CR-V and the 06’ Pilot without the sales person on extended test drives (25 mile loop). I noticed you have to hold the button down to get the sunroof to fully open and close; it seemed kind of awkward being a Toyota owner for the past couple of years. I wonder if all Hondas do this or if I was missing something?

Back to the Toyota sunroof, I might have missed it in the owners manual, but I’m kind of surprised it doesn’t have an emergency (manual) way to close it if the motor should stop working. My 99’ Isuzu Trooper had a small plug in the headliner that you could pop out then use a hex type key (supplied) to crank it shut if something went wrong. Anyone else have something like this on their vehicle over the years? Or is it just an Isuzu thing?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts