Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
******Updated post below, moon roof works properly again*****

So anyways last winter, I tried to open the sunroof, turns out it was a bit frozen, it tried to open and wouldn't a bit later after was was warmed up in the garage I noticed it will not close properly when hit the button, it stops a bit short and doesn't fully close. I can get it closed, but I gotta hit the button and get it in the right spot, where as it used to do that automatically...

Anyone else have an experience like this? :(

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,930 Posts
Mnxd9 said:
So anyways last winter, I tried to open the sunroof, turns out it was a bit frozen, it tried to open and wouldn't a bit later after was was warmed up in the garage I noticed it will not close properly when hit the button, it stops a bit short and doesn't fully close. I can get it closed, but I gotta hit the button and get it in the right spot, where as it used to do that automatically...

Anyone else have an experience like this? :(
You have to "normalize" the moonroof. This is a quote from your owner's manual:

Jam protection function: If something
gets caught between the moon roof and
frame during closing operation, the moon
roof stops and opens half way.
If the moon roof receives a strong impact,
this function may work even if nothing is
caught.

If the moon roof does not operate automatically
or the jam protection function
does not operate correctly, you should
normalize the moon roof.

To normalize the moon roof, push and
hold the moon roof switch on the “TILT
UP” side until the roof fully tilts up. Then
release the switch. Push and hold the
switch on the “TILT UP” side until the
moon roof tilts up, tilts down, slides open
and then closes automatically.

Make sure that the moon roof opens and
closes automatically. If the moon roof cannot
be operated properly, have it checked
by your Toyota dealer.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't even think of checking the owners manual :roll: Usually I'm better than that :oops: I'll try it out thanks for the help!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont know if Im somehow doing it wrong or if the darn thing is just broken, no progress......

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
**************UPDATE***************

I'll be damned... bumped it today, it opened up (up) and when I hit close it closed again perfectly...

It works perfect now... I can't think of any reason or change didn't pull the battery or anything, to be honest it's probably been a good month or so since I last moved it, but overall it was messed up last time I used it, now it's fine....

Dang thing didn't work right for a heck of a long time...

Must have finally normalized it's self...

Just thought I'd bump the thread and update it in case anyone else had a similar issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Awesome! I had the exact same problem with my sunroof... and just tried this and it works perfectly again ;)

I love this forum!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
My sunroof problem is that I don't have one. Actually, I am not a big sunroof fan.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Moonroof not functioning properly

You have to "normalize" the moonroof. This is a quote from your owner's manual:

Jam protection function: If something
gets caught between the moon roof and
frame during closing operation, the moon
roof stops and opens half way.
If the moon roof receives a strong impact,
this function may work even if nothing is
caught.

If the moon roof does not operate automatically
or the jam protection function
does not operate correctly, you should
normalize the moon roof.

To normalize the moon roof, push and
hold the moon roof switch on the “TILT
UP” side until the roof fully tilts up. Then
release the switch. Push and hold the
switch on the “TILT UP” side until the
moon roof tilts up, tilts down, slides open
and then closes automatically.

Make sure that the moon roof opens and
closes automatically. If the moon roof cannot
be operated properly, have it checked
by your Toyota dealer.
Well this just worked for me. All fixed up. Was out in a snowstorm last night and the wife hit the moonroof button by accident when reaching for the light. Was all frozen with ice up on the roof and jammed the moonroof. I was able to get it shut thankfully. But once I got it thawed it would not open and close automatically. Normalizing it did the trick and it is all working properly again.

·
Registered
847 Posts
It's funny how the roof only opens about 80% of the way back and then you have to hit the switch again to get it to open all the way, but if it's all the way open it makes all sorts of wind buffeting noise at anything over about 30mph. (and yes, I have my roof rack bars in the indicated position for quite sunroof cruising). It's almost like they discovered the problem and added the part way stop so it wouldn't be noisy. And when it is in the 80% open position with the rack adjusted properly it is surprisingly quiet, even at highway speeds.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I wonder if there a way to reset it to open 100% with the one touch feature. I have a sunroof deflector so opening it all the way in the highway does not give me added noise.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,249 Posts
I wonder if there a way to reset it to open 100% with the one touch feature. I have a sunroof deflector so opening it all the way in the highway does not give me added noise.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
That would be nice however I have not seen such an option on the TIS software. Maybe someone else has seen it?

Sent from my HTC One X+

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well this just worked for me. All fixed up. Was out in a snowstorm last night and the wife hit the moonroof button by accident when reaching for the light. Was all frozen with ice up on the roof and jammed the moonroof. I was able to get it shut thankfully. But once I got it thawed it would not open and close automatically. Normalizing it did the trick and it is all working properly again.
My wife did nearly the exact same thing except mine was covered with a foot of frozen snow.

This fix resolved the issue of the automatic feature of my moonroof not working properly.

Thanks to everyone who contributed!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've got an issue with my sunroof too. The problem seems to be similar to what has been described, but I'm afraid of opening it up and not being able to get it closed again. Maybe I'll try this in the spring when I can afford to have the sunroof cracked open and not freeze to death. I haven't used my sunroof for a year and a half because I'm scared it will get stuck again. It seemed to get a little crooked on the track or something and got wedged for a while and I had to get creative to get it closed again. Thanks for this though. I'm going to bookmark this thread for future reference.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I pulled the battery to install my Exide AGM and it refuses to reset. It looks closed but it's not fully cranked shut. Rain pours in. Electrical tape holds so so.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts