Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 limited with a annoying rattle from the sunroof. I lubricated the tracks today and added some sticky back foam to the front section. The front plastic bar that is spring loaded rattles as I drive and I can reach up and hold it still and the noise stops. The glass also rattles as I drive and today I noticed that when the roof is open , I can lift up on the glass and hear and feel a thunk thunk. Seems like what ever runs in the tracks is worn.(smaller than the track height) Can that be changed? It doesn't seem to be user friendly to service......Anyone ever work on it?

thanks

Kevin

·
Registered
642 Posts
2008 limited with a annoying rattle from the sunroof. I lubricated the tracks today and added some sticky back foam to the front section. The front plastic bar that is spring loaded rattles as I drive and I can reach up and hold it still and the noise stops. The glass also rattles as I drive and today I noticed that when the roof is open , I can lift up on the glass and hear and feel a thunk thunk. Seems like what ever runs in the tracks is worn.(smaller than the track height) Can that be changed? It doesn't seem to be user friendly to service......Anyone ever work on it?

thanks

Kevin
On my vehicle, the black plastic accordion side baffle rattles on the passenger side when the sunroof is open. It goes silent when you press on the bottom where the slider meets the metal track. We must be talking about the same thing here. I've tried since day 1 to resolve this noise issue to no avail. Dealer blamed it on the stiff Sport suspension set-up.

The glass rattling is concerning though . . . . Any leakage issue if the glass panel is loose?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't get any noise from the side accordion flaps , just on the front part of the sunroof with that wide plastic spring loaded bar. The glass itself I can lift up on it and feel movement in the tracks like the runner has worn smaller than the track height.
It doesn't leak any water because water is supposed to drip down onto a plastic drain track. I was freaking out one time when it was raining and I saw water dripping in. I then noticed the drain track that carries it away .....
I was just wondering if anyone has replaced these runners and or stopped the noises somehow....

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone ever change these rails to stop the noise?

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
No such problem with ours and IMO if it was design issue we'd have heard many more complaints. I think I remember someone, maybe JB, posting a realignment procedure for the roof.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No such problem with ours and IMO if it was design issue we'd have heard many more complaints. I think I remember someone, maybe JB, posting a realignment procedure for the roof.

Thanks for the reply Doctor :)

I can definitely see that the rails or tracks that the sunroof ride on ,are larger than the guides . I can lift up on the sunroof and see the movement. I need some new guides. I tried lubing them but I think I'm too late. My beast is a 2008 with 172,000 km's. I'm surprised to hear this has not been discussed much.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts