Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone considered fitting a Supra rear suspension cartridge to a Rav?

My son and I are going to do it soon as we have checked all of the measurements and everything looks cool.

A bit of cutting and welding and we should be all good for about 600 RWHP.

We are also putting Supra brakes on the front and are reworking an 80,000klm gen4 3S-GTE for it.

We have assembled a Rusefi kit (EFI/ECU) and a Speeduino that we are going to play with to run the engine and drive a VW Golf Gen6 can bus Dashboard.

It is going to be a fun project and I reckon it will go like S#*t off a shovel.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Never came across anybody switching the diff before or maybe I have not heard about it but good luck, should be interesting to see if it does work and what the outcome is, good luck.
I have heard of at least 1 3s-gte swap, it was a guy on the Toyotaownersclub.com forum his name was "bothwell buyer" prob a few others maybe some on this forum too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good Question

We just opened the diff tonight and found that it was a Torsen so we are both pretty happy.

I have also bought an ST-215 viscous centre diff and front combo so these are going in.

Ratios should not be too much of a problem as we have an awesome machine shop and a mate of mine cuts specialty gears for Porsche.
So worst case new gears but the way our luck has been flowing on this project they will probably be right.

Cost so far: Car, $1,000
ST-215 3S-GTE Engine, $1,500
Supra Front and Rear assembly including Brakes and all, $400
Caldina ST-215 Front & Centre diff Assembly, $200
Original ST-215 ECU (for comparison, & debugging). $100

So should be a cheap Beastie.

It all fits in and the track remains unchanged.

We tried the Supra front brakes on the standard strut/stubs today and the disks fit nicely and are the sam diameter so the backing plates don't change, the callipers are in the right position but one bolt hole is slightly out. the stubs will have to be altered slightly or spacers behind the disk to allow the thicker caliber mounts to squeeze behind the disk.

Cheers and thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The toyota gt4 type platform shared across the range all have 2.9:1 ratios. It's got to match the 1:2.9 ratio in the transfer so they cancel each other out. The actual "diff" ratio is in the gearbox like a conventional front wheel drive box.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts