Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, another complaint about my week old 02 RAV4 L. When I start the car and start driving at low speed, the car alternately surges ahead with the tach hitting 2.2k, then decelerates. Both occur fast enough that my head -- in that early morning caffeine deprived state -- jerks back and forth. Before today I considered it a mild annoyance. But this morning, with the road covered in six inches of snow over a glaze of ice, the acceleration was enough to cause the snow tires to break contact and the entire car to begin sliding. I was alert enough to correct with the wheel and keep myself out of the ditch, but the road is dirt, steep and only eight feet wide so there was a pucker factor involved.

Once I hit the blacktop and accelerate to 30mph it stops, and it never happens after the engine is warm. What's wrong with my little RAV?

Pete

O

·
0 Posts
I have the same issue

It is pretty annoying is your a 5 speed?? Mine is, sometimes I feel as if I am doing something wrong or maybe that my clutch is going I can't put my finger on it. Definately an issue when the car is not warmed up yet. Let me know if you find something.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If the 02' is fuel injected , it does not have a "choke" per se`

However I've had simular problems (known as "hunting") in the past with my Honda CRX and VW Sirocco. Both w/EFI As I recall, I replaced the FI Temp. sensor on the Honda and the warm-up regulator on the VW.

A

·
0 Posts
My RAV does the same thing, only it happens at any ambient temperature. (2004 5-speed). My local dealer said "All RAV's do that...don;t worry about it." ???

R

·
0 Posts
Let the revs go down before setting off. In the very cold only takes a minute or two usually. Even in the hot summer it would be better to wait for it to rev down or it will be revving constantly. Not to mention this will burn more fuel than waiting for it to rev down(at least I have found anyway) even in the summer.

I have a manual tranny and if I dont wait for the rev to go down before setting off, it becomes quite interesting when I try to change gears :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the responses. It was ten degrees this morning and I let it warm for a couple of minutes. It did just fine driving down the hill -- no surge at all.

Pete

1 - 7 of 7 Posts