Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What alternatives are there to doing the recall? Are there new revised versions of the arm that won't disintegrate? Any aftermarket versions?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
I decided to refuse the recall due to the alignment problems it can cause. It's only necessary in the snow belt where they spread salt on the roads that corrode the arms. We don't get snow here so mine should not be affected. There are aftermarket parts you can buy to replace the factory arms if you like.

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
What alternatives are there to doing the recall? Are there new revised versions of the arm that won't disintegrate? Any aftermarket versions?
If you live in L.A. your RAV most likely won't experience the situations which caused the recall - road salt and corrosive chemicals used in areas with a lot of snow and ice in winter. As I understand it in mountain snow areas CA uses sand and grit rather than salt and chemicals to prevent toxic runoff into lakes and streams.

I have the same approach as does JneBug. I have not had the epoxy fix done especially since it will cause expensive problems with subsequent wheel alignments. Despite Toyota's assertion that the epoxy fix is a permanent solution wheels can need alignment even from normal wear and tear, and something such as striking a wheel against a curb can result in needing an alignment, epoxy or no epoxy.

·
Super Moderator
11,138 Posts
To get it done through the dealer out of my pocket with no epoxy is in the $500 range.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the original recall to replace the arms on RAVs that had had a rear alignment done and the arms weren't tightened to proper specs? Of course that would have only been at an indy shop, NEVER at a Toyota dealership!
Mine had never had an alignment, so I considered refusing the fix but went ahead and had it done anyway.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I called Toyota Corporate office about this. (He could be blowing smoke, but) The guy I spoke to told me the 2012+ OEM suspension arms will fit my 2009 and don't require the epoxy. However, the recall fix specifies using the old parts and applying epoxy. Weird, convuluted logic, but is the deal with the NHTSB to satisfy the recall. The improved OEM arms, which I believe to be adjustable, are about $95 each.

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the original recall to replace the arms on RAVs that had had a rear alignment done and the arms weren't tightened to proper specs? Of course that would have only been at an indy shop, NEVER at a Toyota dealership!
Mine had never had an alignment, so I considered refusing the fix but went ahead and had it done anyway.

If I recall that was the original problem but when service people tried to correct the problem on cars where salt and chemicals are used on roads in winter they couldn't make the adjustments because of rust and corrosion. So the clean the threads, make he adjustments, and then seal the adjustments with epoxy became the solution. But of course it's possible that I have the sequence of events wrong.

This is a third party quote from part of a Toyota service announcement: "Toyota summarized the prior recall attempt in this statement: “In the earlier action, if the nuts for adjusting rear wheel alignment were improperly tightened when an alignment was performed, rust could form on suspension arm threads. If this occurs, and if the condition is not identified and remedied during servicing or repair under the existing remedy procedure, the threads can wear over time, causing the arm to separate, which could result in a loss of vehicle control.”

Reactions: ravenuer

·
Registered
932 Posts
Do you know if these are the same as original or created in a way to prevent issues found in the recalls?

This was posted by one on the members here... he stated that it was not the same arm. If I were to consider replacing with these arms I would call this place and ask to make sure it is not the same arm that are on our Rav's now. The real question if these are an upgraded arm why is Toyota not fixing our Rav's with them instead of the band -aid fix that is a joke. Somewhere down the line, if enough complain about there Rav's tearing up tires... from the current fix... there will be a class action.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
I called Toyota Corporate office about this. (He could be blowing smoke, but) The guy I spoke to told me the 2012+ OEM suspension arms will fit my 2009 and don't require the epoxy. However, the recall fix specifies using the old parts and applying epoxy. Weird, convuluted logic, but is the deal with the NHTSB to satisfy the recall. The improved OEM arms, which I believe to be adjustable, are about $95 each.
By comparison, the aftermarket arms in the above link sell for $161 each.

·
Registered
932 Posts
There is always an implied contract when buying a vehicle. We bought vehicle's that had 4 wheel alignment... which Toyota turned into 2 wheel alignments... which has broken that contract. And if they now have a part that can go on that would address the safety issue and continue to give us 4 wheel alignments that would be the right thing to do. That's why there are Lawyers... to get the big company's to do the right thing.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Here's a link to the 2012+ OEM part, which *should* replace the old control arm. (This shows right side, would need left also):
48710-0R030 | Toyota OEM Parts |*Lower Arm, RIGHT for 2012 Toyota RAV4 : Toyota OEM Parts | EB TOYOTA PARTS | toyotaparts.bochtoyotasouth.com

What I am not completely sure is this is all that is needed and confirmed interchangeable by someone who has done it. I may go this route to do it if my alignment goes out and the dealer won't fix the epoxy job for free. RTexasF mentioned a dealer fix for about $500, that sounds about right using the new parts and labor.

There is always an implied contract when buying a vehicle. We bought vehicle's that had 4 wheel alignment... which Toyota turned into 2 wheel alignments... which has broken that contract. And if they now have a part that can go on that would address the safety issue and continue to give us 4 wheel alignments that would be the right thing to do. That's why there are Lawyers... to get the big company's to do the right thing.
I'm with you. I think Toyota has chosen the least expensive route to barely resolve their liability. I'm also miffed Toyota doesn't use the new part, but I doubt it would reach the level of a class-action. I voiced my complaint with Toyota Corporate and they had me establish a case number in case my rear alignment goes out, they said it should be "fixed" again at no cost. This was all verbal stuff over the phone, so I won't hold my breath. This is another case of Toyota going for an expedient fix, that may benefit unscrupulous dealers who still try to charge people if an additional epoxy fix is needed. But for now will wait and see as the alignment is fine after 3 years.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Here's a link to the 2012+ OEM part, which *should* replace the old control arm. (This shows right side, would need left also):
48710-0R030 | Toyota OEM Parts |*Lower Arm, RIGHT for 2012 Toyota RAV4 : Toyota OEM Parts | EB TOYOTA PARTS | toyotaparts.bochtoyotasouth.com

What I am not completely sure is this is all that is needed and confirmed interchangeable by someone who has done it. I may go this route to do it if my alignment goes out and the dealer won't fix the epoxy job for free. RTexasF mentioned a dealer fix for about $500, that sounds about right using the new parts and labor.

I'm with you. I think Toyota has chosen the least expensive route to barely resolve their liability. I'm also miffed Toyota doesn't use the new part, but I doubt it would reach the level of a class-action. I voiced my complaint with Toyota Corporate and they had me establish a case number in case my rear alignment goes out, they said it should be "fixed" again at no cost. This was all verbal stuff over the phone, so I won't hold my breath. This is another case of Toyota going for an expedient fix, that may benefit unscrupulous dealers who still try to charge people if an additional epoxy fix is needed. But for now will wait and see as the alignment is fine after 3 years.
Yes as long as corporate backs these re-repairs than a critical mass needed for a class action won't come. There are a lot of Rav's involved so time will tell. I had mine done 4 times(at the dealers expense) it is now tracking right and new tires are wearing well. I'm still not satisfied with this fix but can live with it...

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
I have dug again through my small stack of RAV4 recall notices and accessed the recall info for my '11 and I have not received a suspension/alignment related recall notice even though the publicized notice stated that the year of my RAV is included. The only open notice is for the windshield wiper linkage problem with the parts still not available when I had my RAV serviced by the dealer this past September ('16). Appears that I have dodged the suspension problem recall bullet . . .

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
I have dug again through my small stack of RAV4 recall notices and accessed the recall info for my '11 and I have not received a suspension/alignment related recall notice even though the publicized notice stated that the year of my RAV is included. The only open notice is for the windshield wiper linkage problem with the parts still not available when I had my RAV serviced by the dealer this past September ('16). Appears that I have dodged the suspension problem recall bullet . . .
If your 2011 was built late in the cycle, it may have the improved 2012 arms and no need for a recall.

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
If your 2011 was built late in the cycle, it may have the improved 2012 arms and no need for a recall.
Yeah, I've attempted to check that out exactly but without success. I suspect that in my situation Toyota knows the answer even though I often criticize them in other circumstances.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My vehicle is from an area that sees plenty of snow. The rear suspension recall fix was done along with the transmission recall replacement about a year ago.
As part of my regular maintenance, I got an alignment and my rear toe is out of spec, and unable to adjust due to the recall fix. I'm not sure what to do.
I plan on going to the dealer to get the more recent recalls done, such as the wiper arm windshield one, and have them take a look at the rear suspension. If they won't fix it, I guess my options are to 1) write to corporate 2) purchase the 2012 part 3) go aftermarket

I'd like to hear from anybody who's done the rear suspension recall and needed toe adjustment. How did you go about getting a fix?

Dr J

·
Registered
932 Posts
My vehicle is from an area that sees plenty of snow. The rear suspension recall fix was done along with the transmission recall replacement about a year ago.
As part of my regular maintenance, I got an alignment and my rear toe is out of spec, and unable to adjust due to the recall fix. I'm not sure what to do.
I plan on going to the dealer to get the more recent recalls done, such as the wiper arm windshield one, and have them take a look at the rear suspension. If they won't fix it, I guess my options are to 1) write to corporate 2) purchase the 2012 part 3) go aftermarket

I'd like to hear from anybody who's done the rear suspension recall and needed toe adjustment. How did you go about getting a fix?

Dr J
TSB 0042-14

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/106...-arms-safety-recall-csj-supplement-c0j-2.html

This is your first step go to the TSB section on this site scroll down to my username .

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After doing some research, original part number for right side, for vehicles made July 2010 and before is
48710-0R010
August 2010 and later is 48710-0R030, which is what they used in 2011 until 2016.

The recall affects 2011 and earlier. Interestingly, Dorman references 2006 to 2010 for their part
Dorman Products - 524-011

I wonder what the difference is with the newer part?

I'm looking for alignment specs of 2010 vs 2012 years. If they're similar, I'll have the option of using a 2012 part. Still not happy they'd make them non-adjustable, I wouldn't have this issue if they replaced the part instead of epoxy them. Grrr.

And I'm out of luck having Toyota doing anything about alignment. The recall specifies any future alignment issues will result in replacing parts. I'll ask them what the part number is they'll use.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts