21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,518 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Good news. Just got off the phone with Toyota corporate. There's a new recall that just came out Sept 2016:
https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPortal/staticcontent/en/techinfo/html/prelogin/docs/cp/g0vtofaq.pdf

I told them I've already gotten the epoxy, they said they'll replace it, align, and according to the PDF, epoxy it again.
As JuneBug said, that appears to be the same as the previous recall, which came out two years ago--the one where once epoxied, you no longer have adjustable arms. That recall campaign was refernced as CSJ; maybe the one you cite is to cover additional models. Still leaves unanswered the question: why not replace the old arms with the newer version that came out for late 2011 models and later?

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
It appears that one difference between this recall dated 9/16 and the earlier one is that the rear suspension arms will be replaced , but in the prior recall the arms were not replaced if they were still evaluated as being serviceable. Or have I missed something? Strangely in this recall the replacement arms also will be sealed with epoxy after the rear suspension has been aligned. I escaped the previous recall even though my RAV is an '11 model. The Toyota Owners web site currently is down so I can't determine whether it is involve din this recall, but apparently it was produced after the recall cutoff date.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Cut/Pasted from the "Recall of recall" thread regarding this rear toe arm issue:

http://www.spcalignment.com/index.php?option=com_spc&task=part_description&pid=67805&Submit_form=Submit

In case it hasn't been confirmed before, the above-linked aftermarket rear toe arms fit '06-'11 RAVs. I previously reported incorrectly that there were fitment issues, but that was due to operator error at the auto shop I initially visited to have them installed. Subsequently I brought them to a Toyota dealership, and they were able to install them correctly on my 2008 RAV4 which restores rear toe alignment adjustments. Please note I was advised by the service tech that the installation can be a bit finicky if the installation instructions are not followed to the letter as it will lead to the ball joint end being mounted cock-eyed, and potential rubbing with adjacent suspension components.

- 2008 RAV4 V6
- CSJ recall was performed in 2012
- New tires were recently installed, and I was informed that the rear toe alignment was way out of spec, but since they were epoxied no adjustment could be made.
- I bought the SPC rear toe arms off ebay for roughly $100 ea. and they have resolved my rear toe alignment alignment issue
- note the prices vary widely on the internet - my research yielded prices ranging from $70 to $165 ea. so I suggest shopping around.

A BIG Thank you to focus123 for pointing out this product!!!
Dealer charge for install was $265, which included the cost of the 4-wheel alignment. I think they cut me a pretty big break though as the service adviser mentioned that the cost, based on 4 hours of shop time plus alignment would normally be upwards of $500; however they stuck with the initial quote given to me by the service director which was for service to break epoxy, re-align, and re-epoxy old arms.

Now granted they probably spent an hour or more just going back and forth between me, specialty products, and their shop techs to determine the best way to go about the fix, since I had initially brought my RAV to them with the impression that the SPC arms wouldn't fit (since the first shop had reported as such). I brought my RAV into Toyota with the SPC arms sitting on my floor board as I was planning to ship them back to the seller later, and we were going to either a.) heat up the epoxy, break the mold, realign to spec, and reuse/re-epoxy the old arms, or b.) buy new factory arms and go through the whole CSJ recall process again. Ironically, one of the shop techs noticed the SPC arms on the floor, whose relative works at SPC (only up about 30 miles north of Denver, in Longmont, CO), and he was able to reach out to his relative and the engineers at SPC to confirm fitment and gain assurance that the new arm does address the corrosion issue which caused the safety recall in the first place. The shop tech's comment was that if it was his RAV he would definitely choose the SPC arm over the factory arm. One other thing they did confirm is that the SPC arm does not fit the '12 RAV (yet) as they are working on a revised arm for that model. Not sure if there's as much of a need for that one though, as I understand it's a different design which still allows for toe alignment adjustment.

·
Registered
220 Posts
My 2008 now needs a rear alignment after having this recall done with epoxy a few yrs ago. I wasn't aware that epoxy was going to be applied or else I wouldn't have let them do that. My bad.....

I asked the dealership what options I had and they said to have them do it again was $500 or I could buy the parts. Because there was a mass production of these arms , I was able to get the "campaign" price which was $185 total ,for "both" arms. I told them to shove their epoxy!

Now I'll install them myself and go get an alignment. Good job Toyota!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Have the same problem. Rear tires wearing on the inside. Epoxy recall done a while ago. Talked to my dealer today. Only option appears to be to chisel off the epoxy and re-do the alignment. Doesn't sound like a proper solution to me. He had no experience with after market suspension parts. They are available. The question is what is the best solution.

·
Super Moderator
9,445 Posts
...He had no experience with aftermarket suspension parts. They are available.
When I recently had my RAV4 in for the electro-coupler replacement at Toyota they noted that both my rear sway bar links were broken and it would be an hour labor + parts to fix it. When I said I'd do it myself, he said, "Okay, you can get the parts at NAPA, that's what we do."

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Rear tires wearing on the inside. Epoxy recall done a while ago. Talked to my dealer today. Only option appears to be to chisel off the epoxy and re-do the alignment. Doesn't sound like a proper solution to me. He had no experience with after market suspension parts. They are available. The question is what is the best solution.
Tell the dealer to look up the Toyota part number on the 2012+ rear suspension arms. Tell them to put those on instead of the old ones that need to be epoxied. It's not aftermarket, they are adjustable.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Originally Posted by Parkland View Post
Rear tires wearing on the inside. Epoxy recall done a while ago. Talked to my dealer today. Only option appears to be to chisel off the epoxy and re-do the alignment. Doesn't sound like a proper solution to me. He had no experience with after market suspension parts. They are available. The question is what is the best solution.

Tell the dealer to look up the Toyota part number on the 2012+ rear suspension arms. Tell them to put those on instead of the old ones that need to be epoxied. It's not aftermarket, they are adjustable.

@Parkland, If the dealer is willing to install 2012MY rear suspension arms onto a pre-2012 Rav4 and the transplant operation is successful, please report back with photos or documentation so the rest of the 4.3 Rav4 population can benefit from the experiment? I would imagine you will have to pay the whole shot as this is not in accordance to the official Toyota recall-of-a-recall-of-a-recall where the old arms and epoxy are being used.

·
Registered
127 Posts
@Parkland, If the dealer is willing to install 2012MY rear suspension arms onto a pre-2012 Rav4 and the transplant operation is successful, please report back with photos or documentation so the rest of the 4.3 Rav4 population can benefit from the experiment? I would imagine you will have to pay the whole shot as this is not in accordance to the official Toyota recall-of-a-recall-of-a-recall where the old arms and epoxy are being used.
I have a 2012 Limited, and I keep reading about this epoxy recall but I'm still uncertain what part exactly is bad and why all of the years except the 2012s were affected.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I have a 2012 Limited, and I keep reading about this epoxy recall but I'm still uncertain what part exactly is bad and why all of the years except the 2012s were affected.
Because they came out with a new part in late 2011:

for my 2009 RAV, shows Lower Arm as 48710-42020, cost $96.21 ea. This is what the recall was for 2006 to the early 2011 models, requires epoxy. For

later 2011 and all 2012: Lower Arm as 48710-0R030, cost $95.75 ea. Adjustable again, no epoxy, no recall.

·
Registered
641 Posts
The rear control arm is described in this TSB

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/attachments/4-3-mechanical/44010d1429720659-tsb-tsb-0042-14.pdf

After the rusting problem was identified, Toyota replaced rusty control arms with the new but identical part at 1st recall. After a few months, the newly replaced control arms were found to be rusting again (go figure, right?:doh:) and can potentially breaks from incorrectly torqued wheel alignment procedure. Toyota then embarked to do a 2nd inspect and replace operation but using the identical part that was initially rusting. More complaints ensued so Toyota issued a 3rd recall. The 3rd recall replaces control arms on both sides, but applies epoxy that seal the alignment adjustment turnbuckle nuts and thread from moisture. The epoxy also eliminated the possibility of adjusting the toe at the rear wheels. The unfortunate part of this approach was, the recalls were likely done to cars with varying degrees of suspension part wears. The epoxy just locked in the incorrect setting to accelerate tire wear.

By mid 2011, Toyota abandoned the turnbuckle design control arm (recall part). On 2012MY vehicle Toyota started using a new control arm that uses cam bolt to adjust the toe.

My speculation is the old and new design control arms physically fit the identical attachment points on the chassis. Toyota was using the old control arms because the recalls were probably certified based on that part. Besides, the supply chain was probably clogged with an oversupply of this old parts in anticipation for the recalls. There is no good reason for them to dump the surplus and go with the improved control arm installed on the 2012MY. Every penny saved goes toward their bottom line. They could have saved a lot more if they have done the recall right at the first time . . . . :shrug:

I've lost faith with the legendary Toyota reliability by engineering evolution reputation. There had been at least 5 or more recalls on my Rav4 since new. I know I'm not buying a Lexus, but this is getting ridiculous. Toyota is now just another car manufacturer aiming for global dominant as the largest and most profitable car company. Marketing trumps, and customers get dump. My next vehicle will likely not a Toyota product. Sad!:|

<Rant off>

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
@ CanuckRAV4, good synopsis and history of this botched recall of recall. Toyota could make it right by installing the parts they came out with in late 2011 instead of the old parts and epoxy.

The Toyota USA Corporate office told me they would fix my epoxied parts for free if my rear tires ever went out of alignment due to those parts. (They even gave me a case number though I have not had any alignment issues.) They said the new 2011 parts would probably fit, but I would have to pay for them. I said this was weird and strange, as the cost of the parts is the same. They said, yeah, but the epoxy fix is what satisfied the problem, that's what they filed with the USA authorities as the fix, that's what they do. Complicating things is Toyota Canada is rarely on the exact page as Toyota USA, so factor that in.

Maybe some Super Corporate office Heads in both countries will read this and say: "These guys on the RAV4World Forum have a good point. Lets just put on the new parts from now on..."

>Dream on<

·
Registered
43 Posts
The 2012 suspension part replacement is an interesting alternative. I will keep it in mind. Today I had my RAV put on the machine. The toe on both rear wheels was out of spec. The camber was out substantially on the pass rear and marginally on the driv rear. As far as the toe is concerned I am told that usually it has the most effect on tire wear. I don't know whether the alignment at the time of the recall was bad or not. Anyway I had them remove the shells and epoxy and correct the alignment. My plan is to put on some temporary protection and then see how the alignment stands up. The camber is out quite a bit. No adjustment there. Will part replacement tighten it up? Or will I have to get a third party upper arm? BS design. Tire noise also seems quieter after the alignment. Will have to see. PS the price of after market lower suspension arms was closer to $400.00+ CA in my neighbor hood. Thanks for input.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Not sure how the suspension geometry is affected by worn parts in the rear. I'm sure if you unload your trunk and perhaps having 1/2 tank of fuel would be the closest approximation the camber was designed to be by the factory.

Having said that, I'm sure the rear springs and shocks have seen a few miles with load, and hitting a few potholes along the journey of aging since leaving the factory. You might have to replace quite a few parts in the rear suspension trying to restore the factory camber, unfortunately. It's essentially a cost-benefit consideration if the lesser evil of simply replacing tires is preferred over renewing the whole rear suspension.

IMHO, if you're going to keep your vehicle for much longer, the renew route is more cost effective over a long ownership. If not, adjust the toe as best as possible and hope the new tires last.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am now having steering problems with my Rav. Not sure if this is related to my rear end difficulties or not. I recently changed over to my winter tires. They inherently have a soft driving feel but now the car is very loose on rutted roads or ice. Actually scary. I though the toe was properly adjusted. Of course there is no adjustment for the camber which I know to be out of spec. At 260K it may be time to trade the old girl in.. PS my summer tires were worn to the bars when I took them off. Something definitely wrong..

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
The 2012 suspension part replacement is an interesting alternative. I will keep it in mind. Today I had my RAV put on the machine. The toe on both rear wheels was out of spec. The camber was out substantially on the pass rear and marginally on the driv rear. As far as the toe is concerned I am told that usually it has the most effect on tire wear. I don't know whether the alignment at the time of the recall was bad or not. Anyway I had them remove the shells and epoxy and correct the alignment. My plan is to put on some temporary protection and then see how the alignment stands up. The camber is out quite a bit. No adjustment there. Will part replacement tighten it up? Or will I have to get a third party upper arm? BS design. Tire noise also seems quieter after the alignment. Will have to see. PS the price of after market lower suspension arms was closer to $400.00+ CA in my neighbor hood. Thanks for input.
You can get adjustable camber bolts that help makes the camber adjustable for the rear lower control arms. Do you think this will work in your situation?

·
Registered
43 Posts
DL175, Not sure exactly what you have in mind? I have seen a third party adjustable arm that replaces the entire camber connection. It would certainly make the adjustment. But is it worth it?

I am wondering, with 260K on the RAV, and the way it is handling of late that repairing all the necessary suspension and steering components may not be worth the effort and expense. Hate to give up that V6 and trailer capacity but maybe its time to look for a replacement. D

21 - 40 of 50 Posts