Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone successfully used the rear control arm for a 2012 on a 2010 or older?

Just another note for reference. I have a 2010 Rav4 3.5L 4wd and had the recall done twice. That last time was a little over a year ago in December of 2016. I just had my alignment checked and the rear toe is out. The dealer would be happy to redo the recall for about $600 to $700. Corporate flat out denied covering the failed recall and capped it off with an insulting non-apology apology. At best this is unethical to have the customer pay to redo a defective recall. They were so sorry I "felt" the recall was defective. The recall being defective is a fact. One feels emotions not facts. An apology is saying one is sorry for doing something wrong. One is not sorry for other peoples "feelings".
I have had a number of Toyotas through the years (and two right now). I agree with CanuckRAV4 that Toyota's reliability is not what it use to be. That combined with this recent encounter with corporate will likely mean Toyotas will no longer be an option. "Penny wise and pound foolish"

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Has anyone successfully used the rear control arm for a 2012 on a 2010 or older?
Just search the part # 48710-0R030 (adjustable control arm for 2011 and up) on a Toyota online part site and look up what it fits. My finding shows it fits RAV4 for:2011-2017 but nothing earlier.

Not sure whats going on here and why it says will not fit earlier models?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

Just another note for reference. I have a 2010 Rav4 3.5L 4wd and had the recall done twice. That last time was a little over a year ago in December of 2016. I just had my alignment checked and the rear toe is out. The dealer would be happy to redo the recall for about $600 to $700. Corporate flat out denied covering the failed recall and capped it off with an insulting non-apology apology. At best this is unethical to have the customer pay to redo a defective recall. They were so sorry I "felt" the recall was defective. The recall being defective is a fact. One feels emotions not facts. An apology is saying one is sorry for doing something wrong. One is not sorry for other peoples "feelings".
I have had a number of Toyotas through the years (and two right now). I agree with CanuckRAV4 that Toyota's reliability is not what it use to be. That combined with this recent encounter with corporate will likely mean Toyotas will no longer be an option. "Penny wise and pound foolish"
What they told you is directly opposite what they told me, that a failed recall fix WOULD be covered and they gave me a case number just in case. ( I haven't had the problem, but was concerned it would crop up.) It doesn't surprise me they would lie or some functionary would get it wrong, and change their tune.

Their logic is something like this: We will do a fix to satisfy the safety issue. But the fix, while "safe", may become defective and affect your tires and your steering, and you'll have to pay to fix it!

Call Toyota Corporate Office again, get a case number, or refer to the one you already have. Ask for their names or their department title as you go. Ask again if the failed Safety Recall repair should be covered. If no, ask to speak to the department that deals directly with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration. Ask this person if it should be covered. If no, ask for their name so you can include in your complaint to the NHTSA. Fill out this form and explain the situation:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/?_ga=1.203170257.1767629473.1491918395&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvIqiuZPJ2QIVFJF-Ch2TOQxhEAAYASADEgKzdPD_BwE

AFAIK, no one here has reported using the newer part to gain the adjustability again. There is no reason it shouldn't, as near as I can tell. If it happens to me, and after I follow the above steps, I'll buy the parts online ($92 x 2) and install myself or have a 3rd party shop do it.

Shame on Toyota! A sad chapter tarnishing their reputation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got a 2009 V6 Limited. Made an appointment with the nearest dealer about 8 weeks ago. Had to wait 3 weeks to get it in on a Friday, the only day I don't need the car. Dropped it off on Thursday evening, talked to the advisor, no issues. Got a call at 11AM the next day, "We don't have the parts." Picked it up, advisor said they would call when parts came. 5 weeks later, still no call.

I got another notice so I was considering making another appointment. But this epoxy sounded weird so I decided to investigate and found this thread.

I live in central Ohio. Lotta salt on the roads during the winter. But I don't think I've ever had an alignment and my tires have always worn great and are still wearing great. I don't want to mess that up.

So should I even take my vehicle to the dealer to get this done? I'm ok with working on cars, I do brakes, starters, alternators, etc. But I rarely touch suspension stuff due to the difficulty in removing bolts. So DIY isn't really an option for me.

What to do? Ignore it? Or get it done at a dealership and get the rear suspension "fused" like a bad back?

·
Registered
20 Posts
For many months now, receiving notices and phone calls about this repeat,, repeat recall for the rear lower suspension arm. Have not seen posts more recent than 2017 so apologies if I have just missed them. I am the original owner of my 2008, RAV4 Limited (102,000 miles). My retired mechanic (who is a very trusted friend and has given us trusted service for now, four vehicles), and my new independent, trusted mechanic, advised there is risk in having these arms / recall (again!) performed. Besides that our Toyota deal is known for bait and switch (inventing other problems while you are there), I have brand new Michelin tires. The thought of Toyota getting near these tires and messing up a recent alignment has me avoiding this recall step. Given my rambling thoughts, next oil change I am bringing the recall paperwork to my one-year, new mechanic, and will pay him to inspect the suspension arms (it is worth it to pay him rather than go to Toyota, hours drive/wait and do not trust them at all).

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
If the arms need replacing Toyota devised their cheap epoxy fix to coat the threads to prevent them from rusting through - the reason for the suspension arm recall. Suggest having the arms replaced by a non-Toyota shop and spraying the threads with several coats of a good rust-preventative paint or finding heavy caps which will prevent water and salt intrusion. If epoxy is used that prevents any future rear alignments being done.

·
Super Moderator
9,445 Posts
I had the recall done on our '06 but then discovered a severely rusted place on the rear sub/K frame so I replaced it with a used one from a parts yard including putting back on the epoxied arms. Took it to the same dealer who'd installed them under the recall (actually the second recall). Was told they wouldn't redo the arms a second time but did give me a free alignment readout. I ordered two new arms on eBay, figured out how to measure rear alignment, and finding one of the epoxied links was very close I installed and adjusted the other side. Took it back for a second check which showed the right rear just barely off camber so I left it and have had no abnormal tire wear. I'm not worried about it rusting since with 147K on the car I doubt it'll go bad for the rest of the car's life.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If it was me, I wouldn't bother getting this one done. If you do, you won't be able to align the rear wheels should they ever need it.
Thank you. Forgot to mention I live in North Carolina. The first comment my former/new mechanic said "we do not have the rust issues like living in colder climates".

41 - 50 of 50 Posts