Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 180k miles, it's probably high time I do something with the original suspension components. Especially since I don't plan on parting ways with the Rav for quite a while. If / When it dies, a 2.4 L 2AZ-FE swap is being considered. With that said, here is the list of replacement parts I have so far:

Suspension : Strut / Coil Spring / Mount Assembly

• 1 ea. - MONROE 271454 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Quick-Strut (Rebate/Promotion Available!) Sale! Info
    Front Left; FWD
  • 1 ea. - MONROE 271453 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Quick-Strut (Rebate/Promotion Available!) Sale! Info
    Front Right; FWD

Suspension : Shock Absorber
  • 2 ea. - MONROE 37199 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} OESpectrum (Rebate/Promotion Available!) Sale! Info
    Rear

Suspension : Coil Spring
  • 1 ea. - MOOG 81141 {#4823100000, 4823142110} Constant Rate Spring; Sold In Pairs Info
    Rear
I've already replaced the front sway bar bushings and end links. Is there anything else to tack onto this list? I debated about the rear springs, but since I'm replacing the front ones on the strut assemblies (and considering the mileage), it's $40 well spent. What say you?

:nerd

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I would go with KYB which is much better. KYB Excel for front and KYB Adjust A Shock for rear. Those Adjust-A Shock can adjust the load for heavier stuff for trailers or inside the cargo.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, with the Monroe rebate currently going on, it'll be $85 cheaper than the KYB set. That, by itself, will pay for the alignment.

Does anyone have any concerns or personal history with Monroe?

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
A few that used Monroe say they did not like it. You can do a search on these forum to find out more.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Decided to spend the extra few bucks to get KYB all around. For the shocks, I opted for the GR-2 / Excel G. This is a hauler for the wife and kids and OEM abilities are more than adequate. On a separate note, I was unable to find a rear bump stop for the Rav or sway bar bushings. Anyone know about those?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm doing an engine swap on my '04 AWD Rav, and my suspension is kinda sad. Will the KYB strut assembly add load capacity so it won't struggle to stay afloat? Or shold I just consider getting a helper coilover? Sorry for getting away from the original question, I just saw suspension overhaul and I am desperate for answers.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I'm doing an engine swap on my '04 AWD Rav, and my suspension is kinda sad. Will the KYB strut assembly add load capacity so it won't struggle to stay afloat? Or shold I just consider getting a helper coilover? Sorry for getting away from the original question, I just saw suspension overhaul and I am desperate for answers.
Why is your rear suspension sagging is it because it is shot or are you putting a trailer behind it?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have the Monroe’s all the way around with good luck. I had stronger shocks in the rear, but they kept making a clinking or rattling sound.

I also went with Monroe after looking at Gabrial, KYB, & Monroe, the KYB are probably a better choice, but when you look at the cost, it seemed to me it wasn't worth the extra $$, especially now with the $80 VISA card, but then mine is high mileage, I just wanted something as good or better than OEM, and IMO, the Monroe are. The OEM served me well, in fact I carried a large refrigerator in it, a stove, a foosball table, a Fiero engine/transaxel, (all separate :wink) and it never seemed to make a difference, the OEM crapped out after about 235K miles. Shortly after the refrigerator haul :smile

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow. Frickin' night and day difference with the new components. Feels like a nearly new car. No more clunks over pot holes or when driving over bump onto a driveway. Didn't replace the sway bar bushings even though I probably should. The passenger side doesn't seem that hard to replace, but the driver's side is in a bear of a spot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I'm also in need to replace the suspension of my rav4. I was thinking about the factory ones but I couldn't find many info about them so here I am thinking of after market ones. So I wanted to ask you master slacker how does the new setup compaire to the factory one and if possible the parts you finally used. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Below is what I ultimately chose. The ride is much better, but I still have a few items left to sort out. We're at 180k+ miles, so anything replacing what we had would have been an improvement.

• 1 ea. - MOOG 81141 {#4823100000, 4823142110} Constant Rate Spring; Sold In Pairs
    Rear

• 2 ea. - KYB 343272 (Original Ride Quality) GR-2 / Excel-G
    Rear

• 1 ea. - MOOG K80297 {#4884042010} Stabilizer Bar Link (Premium) Problem Solver Info
    Rear Left; Improves Upon OE Design

• 1 ea. - MOOG K80298 {#4883042010} Stabilizer Bar Link (Premium) Problem Solver Info
    Rear Right; Improves Upon OE Design

• 1 ea. - KYB SR4152 (Original Ride Quality) Strut-Plus
    Front Right; FWD

• 1 ea. - KYB SR4153 (Original Ride Quality) Strut-Plus
    Front Left; FWD

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow. Frickin' night and day difference with the new components. Feels like a nearly new car. No more clunks over pot holes or when driving over bump onto a driveway. Didn't replace the sway bar bushings even though I probably should. The passenger side doesn't seem that hard to replace, but the driver's side is in a bear of a spot.

Nice I recently replaced my suspension on my 01 w/ 179k miles as well I went with some off brand shocks replaced the sway bar end links and kept the original springs. That along with some engine work I've done in the past 3 months my car runs like it's brand new (minus the interior panel rattles) of course. But can't be any happier a car that's reliable, runs smooth, and no car payments

·
Registered
556 Posts
Replaced the front strut assembly today (along with rear shocks) on a '05, decided to buy the complete KYB assembly instead of reusing the original 14-yr parts. Saved time and cost wasn't that much extra from Rock Auto. Driver side went smoothly, but passenger had a snafu when trying to remove stabilizer link nut since the 10mm hex center got stripped. Used a locking vice grip on the back side and was able to disengage it from the strut. Took about 2.5 hours for both sides.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Looks great guys! my 05 with 170k kms still rides very well with no clunks, i'm hoping to hit 250k kms before even looking at any suspension items (not end links though)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts