Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed a developind rattle in the front suspension?
I have...im planning to lift up the car, soon, and tighten all the bolts I see. Any tips?
I know this is neccesary in all cars, but anyone rarely does it. Or should I just take it to the dealer, and waste a few days without the car?

·
Registered
43 Posts
me too, on the left front suspension.

Really noticeable at low speeds and especially on cobblestone streets (historical district near workplace). It does sound like something is loose. It's a dull, hollow sound, hard to describe.

are you just going to put it on jackstands? Keep us posted.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Yeah I noticed that sound when I was driving around in the snow yesterday.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really noticeable at low speeds and especially on cobblestone streets (historical district near workplace). It does sound like something is loose. It's a dull, hollow sound, hard to describe.
Exactly what im talking about. Im trying to get a hold of my friend who works at a garage...if not, im going to have to settle with the jackstands.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Soace Munky said:
Has anyone noticed a developind rattle in the front suspension?
I have...im planning to lift up the car, soon, and tighten all the bolts I see. Any tips?
I know this is neccesary in all cars, but anyone rarely does it. Or should I just take it to the dealer, and waste a few days without the car?
Not positive if this is related, but I also have a rattle in my suspension.. Mine is the right(passenger) front. Actually I don't believe it's the suspension.. mine is most likely the brake pads jiggling in the caliper, which bumps the rotor to give the "hollow" sound. There's small spring clip like thingies that "hold" the pads in place, and maybe my spring clip thingies need some coaxing? I also only hear mine when going slow over small bumps(like going up a driveway). Mine goes away the second I hit the brakes.

I'll be swapping brakes and rotors as soon as these So. Cali. storms let up a little bit... but I have a strong feeling that'll fix my rattle. My brakes are about 45K miles old. Anyways, if anyone else fixes their rattle I'll be lookin' for the post :) Happy RAV'n!

..ChimChim

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This rattle could be another problem that Toyota did not let most know about. My mom also has a Rav4 and the dealer replaced the rotors. She had "noises" coming from the front of the car. Apparently, this was another problem the dealer was aware about and replaced the rotors under warranty. I also noticed the same problem and found out the fix from my mom. This happened at about 33,000 miles. You will definetely notice this problem when you brake. It will sound like screeching/grinding at a hard stop.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
me too, on the left front suspension.

are you just going to put it on jackstands? Keep us posted.
Same problem. Has anyone pinpointed the solution?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had a rattle (or clunking sound) from front suspension - drivers side most noticeable. Jacked up and inspected absolutely every nut I could find. Finally found the culprit! The drivers side stabalizer link was loose (with rusted bolt) - it has some rubber on it that had gotten partially chewed up from something?? It has two hex bolts w/nuts but was completely loosened from the link itself, combine that with rust that penetrating oil failed to loosen (cant heat because of the rubber) - replacing the part today. Unfortunately it was $113 Cdn for this little tiny piece of metal and rubber!!! But it was quite loose and had extreme movement on the stablizer.

Side note - the guy at Toyota parts asked me if I had changed tire size (I have 225/70/16 pirellis) (RAV came with 235/60/16) as he noted a few people needing this part that had upped their tire size. Not sure how relevant that is, but I guess larger tires may move the position of the link and bar causing more stress on the unit. This theory is questionable though because the right side link looks perfect and is nice and tight.

Hope this helps - just another thing to check for when investigating rattles and clunks that sound suspension related.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i've had this problem also for a while and I think your suggestion is the first one I've read that points to a specific part.

hey privatedog, before it was fixed, did it seem to be worse on some days and not so bad on others? Mine is like that.

Post here if the rattle is gone after the fix.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts