Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am a new Rav4 owner. I have a 1999 AWD, Manual, 5dr . I have changed the front rotors and gave it a tune up. I plan to do a turbo engine swap in it when i get another daily. I need to put new suspension in it. I believe in upgrade when you need to repair. I am having a hard time finding good adjustable coil overs for the front and coils and shocks for the rear. any suggestions for direct bolt in replacement searches to buy new performance parts for this rig?

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts
I believe mensajero has some info, try contacting him or looking through his threads. Are you looking to give keep her at the same height, lift, or lower her? You can search through the 4.1 threads and find some info.

Is yours the 2 door or four?

·
Registered
406 Posts
KYB Gas-a-just are very good on the rear; their Ultra SR not so good on the front, feel soft on rebound.
So Koni or Bilstein for the front.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It depends on what you are trying to do with it. I put Konis on mine. No, they do not make it a sports car, but they do make it a good SUV. They are not cheap.

·
Registered
156 Posts
What part number koni strut for the front for non serviceable strut with stock springs and oem steel wheels? Rear part number?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just went to the Koni web page, https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmerica/Home/ and got the part numbers there, then ordered them from TireRack, which had the best prices. You can probably get the part numbers off Tire Rack as well. Note that my 2000 model has a different front part number than the 1996-1999 models. The Y2K is the same part number as the 4.2's. I called up Koni tech support (EXCELLENT people) and confirmed that yes, even though I have a 4.1, it uses the same Koni part as the 4.2 for the front. These are cartridges and you need to have original Toyota struts to take apart and put these in for the front. The rears are not struts, just replace the whole shock.

·
Registered
156 Posts
You have helped answer my question... I have year 2000 4.1 4door awd with stock everything on steel wheel 215/70 r16 tires... I see that there is confusion when ordering due to shock travel and spring/tire options. I have not figured out how to order properly from tire rack... I imagine for my option I choose year 2000 and non alloy non sunroof RAV4. You state they are cartridge type... I imagine that I remove crimped in top and build into oem strut with a koni gland but design...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well, I have the original steel wheels, 16", with snows on them and some 16" aluminum wheels with the stock tires I had on the steel wheels. There's some pics in my thread on the motor swap. The Koni cartridge fits inside the original strut housing. You take the original strut apart, then cut off the top, drill a hole in the bottom and put the Koni cartridge in. It's a minor PITA, and the instructions are in pictures for the international community, not English, so you have to pay close attention to it. Koni's are made in the Netherlands.

I, too, have had issues ordering online from Tire Rack. I've bought a bunch of stuff from them (thousands of USD's over the years), though, and I usually just call them up. They are very helpful. Their web page seems to be designed to not sell you anything unless it is 100% sure there can be zero chance of something going wrong. When you call, a whole new world opens up.

If you call up Koni, they will tell you to go buy from one of their resellers like TireRack.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I will give tire rack a call... I will replace the upper strut hats and will find out what boot fits the koni strut insert and I should be good to go... I really want to have a good ride restored to my rav4

·
Registered
156 Posts
I understand how to install the cartridges into oem strut housings after a good read on koni website. The koni should work with kyb upper plates, kyb boot/bumpstop and oem spring and spring isolator to my knowledge... any other things to watch out for?

·
Registered
84 Posts
There aren't any real watchouts. It's a fairly straightforward job. I rather despise suspension work, but impact tools make it go easier. I also put on some universal shock boots on the back, as my original ones were shot. And adjusting the back ones is a PITA, so best to pick a setting when you put them on. I put them on "medium". The fronts are easy to adjust anytime.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts