Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all those, including me, who experience a rough ride on anything less than a smooth highway - would love to know after market (or Toyota) upgrades to a seemingly sub-standard suspension - needs better integrity with comfort - I own a 2011 Limited 4WD V-6 - going to try the Yokohama Geolanders All Terrain G015 which should be a softer tire for winter and maybe help with the harsh ride - anyone with these tires have a better experience?

·
Super Moderator
10,128 Posts
Check the last few (790-792) posts here: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/123-4-4-general/178081-what-you-not-happy-about-your-rav4.html

In general the Base and Limited suspensions are the softest riding. Usually it's the Sport model owners who complain about a harsh ride.

Also virtually all replacement suspension components make the ride stiffer. That's why when I had to replace the front right strut on our Limited due to banging over slight bumps I bought the least expensive "replacement" strut I could find on eBay.

·
Registered
127 Posts
For all those, including me, who experience a rough ride on anything less than a smooth highway - would love to know after market (or Toyota) upgrades to a seemingly sub-standard suspension - needs better integrity with comfort - I own a 2011 Limited 4WD V-6 - going to try the Yokohama Geolanders All Terrain G015 which should be a softer tire for winter and maybe help with the harsh ride - anyone with these tires have a better experience?
I think tires will make a huge difference as they are arguably the most important thing you can change on a vehicle so I think that's definitely good thinking, let us know how it goes. An all terrain tire isn't going to be the softest or quietest though, in fact they are usually very noisy tires. I can look up tires in Consumer Reports for you if you're looking for ride comfort testing.

By many accounts including my own the Limited suspension is pretty plush and boaty already, like a Camry. That makes me think something else is going on in your Rav. In fact I bought all new factory Sport suspension because I felt my Limited was so soft and so squishy that it made me feel unsafe to be honest when it wouldn't react fast enough for traffic or lean or squat when I needed it to be planted (I want my steering and braking/gas inputs to be immediate and right there with me). I absolutely love how my Rav4 drives now with the firmer Sport suspension, night and day difference.

Maybe check tire pressures and things first to ensure they aren't overfilled? That would definitely contribute to a harsher ride over bumps in the road.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm new here after buying a used 2011 Rav4 v6 Sport last week. I am also evaluating the suspension and the vehicle dynamics to better understand what is stock and if there are any issues. It is definitely noisier than my 4runner but may be in part due to the older tires on it, and of course the base quality of the vehicle and lack of sound proofing (which is no surprise). I am also getting a thump from the back end over bumps. Taking it to the dealer that services my 4runner to give me the low down if it has any issues with the suspension. Aside from the above issues, it is a pretty snappy and versatile suv and that V6 is fantastic.

I happen to have put the G015's on my 4runner a year ago since they are winter rated (All weather) and I don't want to be swapping tires. We just completed a 7k trip in Sept out West to Colorado/Utah for some wheeling and can say the tires are very impressive both off road and on. They are pretty quiet at 80mph on the interstate and handle great for an AT (I have had many brands of AT's on previous trucks). They also did not disappoint last winter in all conditions but still fall somewhat short of Michelin and Bridgestone winter tires that I have used on other vehicles. I would buy the G015's for my RAV4 but unfortunately they don't come in the size for the 18" rim. Had to settle for Nokian WR SUV all weather which are going on next Wed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got my RAV4. Love the V6, visibility and handling around town. Trying to assess the suspension myself and am taking it to the Toyota dealer Monday to get brakes and suspension checked out. Have a clunk in the back over pot holes and have read some of the strings with other people not happy with the suspension. This truck does put a smile on face in good part due to the V6.

I purchased some G015's a year ago for my 4runner since I wanted all weather and winter rated. Just finished a 7k trip out West with lots of interstate 75-80mph and some off roading in Colorado and Utah. I can report that the G015's are excellent, including through last Winter in all conditions. Not as good as Bridgestone or Michelin winter tires but not far off. They are very quiet on the highway. I wanted to buy them for the RAV4 but unfortunately not available in my size so getting Nokian WR SUV installed next week. I am sure you will be very happy with the G015's.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lenmartyb

Thanks for the feed back - I am also taking my RAV4 to a Toyota dealer in a few weeks to assess the suspension - the G015 tires are great so far as compared to the Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country - much softer ride with better snow traction and no highway noise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts