Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Suspension

10K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  prechierav 
#1 ·
Hello guys I am new in this forum and I have a question. I just got a 20014 rav4 and I found by driving that the car feels a little rough when driving on uneven pavement and also on potholes. I this how this car drive or I bought a bad one?

#4 ·
I assume you have a 2014- many here, including this writer, complain that the 4.4 suspension is poor, especially for a re-design and the ride can be both noisy and harsh over concrete or uneven pavement. The limited is even worse because of its 18" wheels; the LE and XLE have 17" wheels and still are problematic on those surfaces. Toyota claims to have addressed these issues in part for 2016 with increased insulation and some minor suspension reinforcement, but I'm not certain that those claims are true This site can be very useful- welcome! Good luck with the car...

#6 · (Edited)
I like the way the RAV rides and handles. It's the first thing I noticed about it when I test drove my 15, and is what sold me on it. When you consider what you get, it's a nice trade off. I think it handles almost as good as my 3rd and 4th gen Camaros when taking ramps fast, staying nice and flat, yet rides much better. If you are looking for Caddy-smooth ride, you bought the wrong vehicle. They design these things to be sporty and nimble, and to handle a variety of terrains. It's all about trade-offs. If enough people create a demand though, the aftermarket may provide some support, but I have yet to see it.

#8 ·
I have a 2016 Hybrid. I find it neither sporty nor nimble. It's fairly bland to drive and has some roll going around corners. And if anything I find the 2016 ride a touch on the soft side.* The acceleration of the Hybrid is pretty decent but not a barn burner.

In other words I would never recommend this car to a car enthusiast who values a sporty feel and speed.

That said it's fine for us. We bought it as a plain family CUV with good fuel economy and storage, and it does very well in that context.

*I am told the softer ride is new to 2016. I've never driven a 2014 (or 20014) so I can't comment on the ride of that model.

Reactions: jlwatts
#9 ·
When they design the suspension, they have to account for the car empty as well as loaded, for smooth pavement and for rough/dirt roads. Compromises have to be made to make it work both ways. Sure they can soften/stiffen/whatever, but they need to cover the most ground for the least investment. Toss more $$$ at it and make it variable, keep it economical, it all comes down to market segment and compromise. Personally, I hope they leave it alone.

#12 ·
we bought a used 2015 limited, it drove fine around town but when out of the freeway for long drive the suspension has a
soft rebound and when going over bridges and small rough roads surfaces it feels like i'm about to lose control. like the shocks or suspension is worn and bouncey. Any idea how i can stiffen the ride?

#13 ·
Are the shocks worn though? I have a '16 and an '18, and i can feel the '16 starting to get bouncy on the rears.
I shake the car and/or step on the stepbars that i have installed, and it bounces quite a bit more than the '18. (Actually there is no bounce on the '18) Front shocks seem ok and i test that by braking hard from a slow drive and looking at the hood if it dives, bounces, dips again, then bounces again. Nothing yet so far for the older car.

How are your tire pressures too? Within the required? Too stiff and you get less shock absorption via the tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.