Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Autoblog: New York Auto Show: Expect a lot from Suzuki's XL-7

Suzuki is not yet ready to go quietly into the night, but rather is set to make a major comeback that will depend on the current churning of its lineup. The new Grand Vitara has already been well received and the now the XL-7, which will for the first time not look like a grander Grand Vitara, is ready to roll.

A Suzuki-built 3.6L V6 that produces 250 hp and 243 ft-lbs. of torque powers the XL-7 and can twist in front-wheel- or all-wheel-drive form. A five-speed automatic divides the proceeding power into digestible chunks while the hardware on a whole delivers fuel economy equal to or better than its predecessor that operated with one less liter of displacement.

The XL-7’s interior features GM switchgear, which is fine with us since we liked these knobs, switches and dials in the Lucerne and Tahoe we’ve tested. As its name implies the XL-7 can seat seven if two of the more diminutive among you don’t mind being with your kneecaps. Kids and pets back there only, please. Second-row legroom, however, is ample.

The exterior design of the XL-7 is interesting, particularly the headlights. The integrated turn signals that dip down make the brights look a bit like their mascara is running, but it seems to work if for no other reason that it doesn’t look like the face of every other SUV on the road. Plus, despite the extra room over a Grand Vitara, you should still be able to pick up an XL-7 for between $23K - $29K.

Go ahead and follow the jump for more live shots, official snaps and Suzuki’s announcement in its own words…

[My comments: Headlights? Distinctive is one thing -- ugly is quite another. Why does the rear end look like it's jacked up in the air and grafted from a Pilot? Tires and wheels look too small for the wheel wells. It looks terrible in white, especially with the black skirt. Ugly dash. Why does the transmission selector almost impact the dash?]

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Since I own an 02 XL7 since new I was looking forward to this intro.. Not crazy about the headlights.. The dash is okay, uninspiring.. tho not bad. Interior looks sweet. Motor will be sweet no doubt. Overall I like it.. :) The XL7 is one of the most underated SUV's out there. Ours has been an excellant truck that has been 100% trouble free and carries 7 people with decent gas mileage and lower.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts