Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the inside driver side rear tire. The wear is "feathered". On that tire only. I suspect too much toe out. Or could it be from too much negative camber caused by sage due to the fact that the gas tank, driver both reside on the drive side. Anyone have any experience from this??

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
On the inside driver side rear tire. The wear is "feathered". On that tire only. I suspect too much toe out. Or could it be from too much negative camber caused by sage due to the fact that the gas tank, driver both reside on the drive side. Anyone have any experience from this??
I'm pretty sure that Toyota engineers would take all that into account when setting alignment specs. I would say you might need an alignment. Hopefully epoxy won't complicate the situation!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably too much negative. I think Toyota use too much on the rear, just had mine reduced to half a degree negative.
I do not think that you can adjust camber on the rear. How did you accomplish this? There is only one adjustment on the rear and that is for toe. I can see how if there was a cam bolt on the upper link you can adjust camber. Was this an option for some of the years?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was under the car the other day to check on my unevenly worn rear tire. That driver side is getting pretty bad. In some of the spots it is looking like the outer thread rubber is worn off.
Looking at all the cam bolts they appear to be centered in the slot. The tire in the question has the cam bolt adjusted slightly toe out. Too much toe out would cause excessive inner tire edge wear.

So I marked the cam bolt, and adjusted it almost one notch in, so that the cam bolt is centered like the rest. Wonder if it slipped somehow, but cam bolts are known for NOT slipping like the old turnbuckle toe link did. I swapped out the worn tire to the spare. After a couple of days driving I do not see any edge feathering like before. Taking a road trip this weekend. I will watch how it wears. I will probably get a 4 wheel alignment when I get new tires. Would like to know the total thrust angle of the rear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts