Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, I said I would make a guide and here it is. I have a bunch of photos so hopefully I can guide you through this process. This will work using any 2000-2005 Celica and any 2000-20005 MR2 Spyder. May also work with a few others. Basically all you are doing is taking the back portion and attaching it to the frame of the Rav4 seat rails. Lets get started.

Tools:
Socket Wrench
14mm Socket
12mm Socket
Flat tip screwdriver
Cross tip screwdriver
Beer.

Step 1: Take your seats out. Both passenger and drivers side are the same steps. To take the seats out there are 4 14mm bolts that hold it down. Be careful when you take the seats out as the metal rails will scratch paint or put deep grooves in plastics.

Step 2: Lets start with taking the back off of the Celica seats. As you can see from my picture only one side on mine had it's plastic. The side that is missing just pops off. The other side, however, needs to be pried up and pushed so it looks like below, if you want to not destroy the plastic. You can just rip the plastic off instead but it's a pain.

Step 3: Unbolting. There are two bolts on each side of the seat that hold the back to the bottom. They are also 14mm. With the way the plastic is sitting you can get your socket on there and unbolt it with relative ease. The other side is easier since the cover pops off.

Step 4: This is going to be a bit of a pain. You have 3 options here. You can cut the back of the seat, you can fight with the giant staples on the back of the seat, or you can pry with a flat tip screwdriver. There is a rod that goes from one side to the other and it's held in by tension on some nipples. They also have a flange that goes into a groove. With a flat tip screwdriver pry it off the nipple and out of the groove like so.

Step 4 continued: Now just wiggle back and forth a bit and the seat back should pop right off. Keep that rod as you're going to need it. Now we are done removing parts off of the Celica seat. Onto dismantling the Rav4 seat.

Step 5: There are 4 cross tip screws on the left side. One holds the recliner level on, one near each end, and one hidden behind the recliner level. Undo all of those.

Step 5 continued: Now on the other side there are two screws holding the plastic on.

Step 6: I didn't take pictures of this part as it's the same as the Celica seats. Unbolt the 4 bolts and pry the rod off. Now you should have a seat cushion and no back.

Step 7: Unbolt the seat cushion. there are 4 bolts that are 12mm. You should be left with something below.

Step 8: Those plastic trim pieces have to go. There is a single screw holding each one on and then they pop off. Now would be a good time to clean your rails if you so wish.

Step 9: Now we're on the home stretch....and hard part. Bolt one side of the bracket on and use the screwdriver to guide the cross pole into alignment. It should go over the nipple and into the groove, just like how you took it off. Make sure you use that soft felt spacer! Also make sure to use the one from the Celica seat. The one from the Rav4 is too short.

Continued onto next post.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Step 10: Now that you have both sides bolted and the cross bar in place, tighten everything down. Now flatten the seat so you can get the bottom cushion on. The fronts will line up naturally however the Celica back is wider. You will have to push to get the back 2 bolts lined up. This will cause one of the bolt holes to mount the seat back into the car slightly out of alignment but don't worry about it.

Step 11: Bolting it back into the car. Make sure to put the front in first and don't tighten the bolts down, just get them started. Now the bolt that goes into the center console area bolts in. However the other leg sticks out a bit.

With your hand, pry the foot over a tad and put a bolt in. It will take a little force.

Step 12: Tighten down all your bolts and put your covers on. Congratulations, you are done. Now adjust your seat and be happy with the upgrade.

Please ignore how dirty the drivers seat is. Both of these seats were in storage for many years. With these seats in you still have full adjustment like before. Happy trails.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OH! One final thing. Here is what the Rav4 bracket looks like when you try to put the Celica bottom cushion on.

You will notice that you can get the back two holes lined up but the fronts are just way off. You could make a bracket with a piece of flat iron but this guide is for direct bolt in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry to double post.
I do have a question re: the cupholder in your rav. Where'd you get it? The stock one sucks lol

·
Registered
148 Posts
That’s a genuine Toyota accessory, p/n 55618-42020.

·
Registered
148 Posts
No prob. There’s also an armrest/cubby with a hinged lid that was available. Dunno the p/n.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BMR is correct on both. I currently have both and when I am done with my sound deadening I will be deciding which to keep and which to sell.

·
Registered
1 Posts
BMR is correct on both. I currently have both and when I am done with my sound deadening I will be deciding which to keep and which to sell.
How is your sound deadening project going? Curious how you’re doing it! Want to do it for my daily! Have a wheeler rav I’m welding an s10 bed on the back where a tree smashed it in, but that one is gutted! Would love to hear the progress

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How is your sound deadening project going? Curious how you’re doing it! Want to do it for my daily! Have a wheeler rav I’m welding an s10 bed on the back where a tree smashed it in, but that one is gutted! Would love to hear the progress
I finished most of it. I just have the doors left to do. Everything is back together and I'd say it's about as quite if not slightly quieter as my Camry. Taking it off road Tuesday so I'll have a better grasp of how much it's deadened then.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts