Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 2015 XLE to replace my 2012 base today. What a difference 3 years make, especially in technology. The tech of today dwarfs what the 2012 had. I haven't had it long enough to make a serious review, but my overall impression is positive. Can't wait to make a few road trips. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Congrats. I picked up mine yesterday. Went from a 2011 base to,a 2015 Limited.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm interested in following your decisions - the reason being that we went in to buy a 2015 and rejected it for a used 2012 instead. Our reasons for rejecting the new Rav4 were that while the level of technological "features" has gone up, the base vehicle seems to be severely degraded.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm interested in following your decisions - the reason being that we went in to buy a 2015 and rejected it for a used 2012 instead. Our reasons for rejecting the new Rav4 were that while the level of technological "features" has gone up, the base vehicle seems to be severely degraded.
It's not that I disliked the '12, I actually found it to be a great vehicle. If money were no object, I would have kept it as a spare. I find the core '15 vehicle to certainly be consistent with or better than the core of the '12. Subjectively, the ride is better, it's quieter, and I like the looks. I'll like having a hatch vs. a gate, and I won't miss the spare tire placement. I'd also choose the 6sp over the dated 4sp. The seats seem more supportive and visibility also seems better. As I noted in the original post tho, I haven't had the 2015 long enough to write a critical review, but so far so good.

While I like having a new car, I hate paying for a new car! So...I was trying to keep costs down and thought I'd end up with the LE, but just couldn't tolerate not having the alloy wheels. This was one thing that really bothered me about my '12 base. With the incentives offered at this time of year, the XLE's cost wasn't painful. There seemed to be a lot more "bang for the buck" when compared with the LE.

Reactions: FJNY

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks! It looks like most of things you find desirable were the same things we didn't want. We'd traded in a Honda Pilot and swore never to get another rear hatch again - really loving the convenience of the side opening door for loading handicap related items. The outside mounted full size spare is very attractive after the pain of using an inside mounted spare on my Element and the under-body mounted Pilot backbreaker. Didn't like the looks of the front end AT. ALL. or the wallowing ride. Other than that, we picked up a "sport" model that was fairly loaded with alloys and bells & whistles, except for the heated mirrors that I'd love to have too. They might still happen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Congrats! In 2012, we purchased a 2012 base. The lack of lumbar caused that vehicle to be traded in within a year, for a 2013 Limited. That vehicle was unfortunately totaled a year later, and we purchased the same exact vehicle, but a 2014 model year. I think the core of the 2013-2015 RAVs are better than the 2012. I sometimes think about how to describe it, and at highway speeds, the 2012 felt kind of like a "tin can". In the 2012, the road noise is noticeably louder than the 2013-15 (and the 2013-15 isn't a very quiet vehicle at these speeds). The 2012 got wind buffered when passing tractor trailers more than the 2013-15 does. The steering is considerably better in the 2013-15 than the 2012. YMMV, but those are things I immediately noticed.

Moral of the story: I agree with the OP's sentiment. Now, OP, enjoy your new RAV :D :)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The 2013-2015 look is not bad, but the lack of the V6 is a total deal breaker there...however the 2016 corrects many things I don't like about the 13-15...not likely to be able to do without the power of the 3.5 anytime sooner...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the 3.5 in my Camry. Only have 500 miles on it so far, but wow, so much better than the 4cyl.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks! It looks like most of things you find desirable were the same things we didn't want. We'd traded in a Honda Pilot and swore never to get another rear hatch again - really loving the convenience of the side opening door for loading handicap related items. The outside mounted full size spare is very attractive after the pain of using an inside mounted spare on my Element and the under-body mounted Pilot backbreaker. Didn't like the looks of the front end AT. ALL. or the wallowing ride. Other than that, we picked up a "sport" model that was fairly loaded with alloys and bells & whistles, except for the heated mirrors that I'd love to have too. They might still happen.
As someone with a paraplegic family member that requires the use of a wheelchair, I really do not understand that comment. The side swinging gate looks like it would really get in the way and obstruct access from the passenger side when parallel parked or backed up towards a structure. The lift gates on mini-vans have never posed a problem for us, either.

The outside mounted spare tire also restricts rear visibility from within the vehicle, something already a challenge for many of the disabled.

Somewhat amusing that the ride is now "wallowy" after complaints about it being too harsh.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts