Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As everyone knows the 2.5s (sans 3rd row) come with smaller front brakes vs the v6 and 3rd row models. Since day one I've never found the brakes confidence inspiring. They get the job done but felt very sloppy. I personally think the 10.8inch brakes up front on a 3400+lb cuv is insufficient, especially when loaded.

Anyhow I've been dealing with an annoying click when braking for the last few months and traced it to poor fitting Wagner thermoquiet pads and a bad driver side caliper (too loose side to side even with new/properly greased pins). I started pricing new pads, rotors and drive side caliper when it clicked (pun intended) that all I would need is a passenger side caliper to upgrade to the larger 11.6inch brakes from the v6. Never thought I'd be "modding" my wife's car but hey, it's all technically still OEM!

I did some research and it turns out the 4.3 with the larger brakes are the same (and now standard) size for the 4.4 gen rave and the current gen Scion TC. All share the same knuckle so I knew it'd bolt up fine. Visited my local salvage yard and they had a pair of calipers off a totalled 2015 TC with only 20k miles. Score! They were OEM, clean and only $40. Beats my stock OEM ones at 75k miles. Bought new v6 rotors, new pads, hardware kit and I'm all set. Everything bolts right up.

Drove it for a bit and noticed the initial bite was much better than when I had all new hardware on the smaller OEM brakes. (same brand rotors and pads). And that annoying click when braking is gone. Overall, the brakes feel less mushy in regular driving and there is a noticeable difference in stopping power when braking hard. It's basic physics. The larger rotor and placement of the caliper further from the axle provides more leverage for increased brake torque. It's nothing major but enough my wife noticed it felt better.

Overall glad it I did it. Since I was lucky to find like new calipers the cost was about the same as new hardware on the smaller brakes. I wasn't expecting the brakes to be like my Z (obviously) but it feels much better and honestly this is how it should have come from the factory, like the 4.4 gens.

Sorry for the long post. Just thought I'd share my research and experience for those who were interested.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes booster and master cylinder is different resulting in a different pedal linkage is well. The MC, I'm assuming based on experience, is probably slightly larger for the extra fluid capacity as the piston itself is slightly larger. Because this car was built in the era before Toyota focused on any driving characteristics, I'd actually bet the different booster provides more assist creating that "mushy" and disconnected feel that I hated about this car since day 1.

This is still a basic single piston set up. Honestly there's nothing special about the ravs system that concerned me about doing this. The concept is similar to numerous (more involved) "real" big brake upgrades I've done on various cars with much more sophisticated braking systems. I felt confident this modest change would operate just fine with existing MC and BB. If I was adding a multiple piston set up front/rear I would certainly be concerned about the MCs ability to generate enough force.

But yes, good to be informed for those who are not as familiar, just wanted to share that it works just fine for me!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
I've never had the mushy or disconnected feel to the brakes. But then I've never driven an I4 RAV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts