Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody installed a factory rack? I'm getting an 05 tomorrow and it has a sport rack. I'd much rather get a factory rack - much less profile for noice, and I think it looks much better. Also not so cheesy and smooth lines.

I haven't seen any specs or hole positions on the two racks, but the Sport rack attaches from the top. I don't know how the stock rack is attached though. Is it from under the headliner? Or does the plastic on the feet somehow come up so you can get to the bolts?

Any help would appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
422 Posts
I haven't installed one so can't answer your question, but I'd like to ask you a question if that's okay.

Have you already obtained the standard rack to replace your sport rack? I'd like to do the opposite of you...replace my standard one with a sport one. Perhaps we could arrange a swap?

Becky

·
Registered
396 Posts
Geez, Becky. You'll end up with the sporty package by the time you're done. :lol: :lol: What exactly was the reason again that you didn't get an S edition in the first place? Oh, I've found one mod that I'll get soon that you may be interested in since you're into safety. Well, that is if you like it. They're left and right side mirrors with the blinking turning chevrons like you see in bigger suvs to make your intentions of turning or merging known to others who might be in your blindspots. It's from a company called Muth and they have mirrors for both heated and unheated side mirror Ravs.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I thought Becky had the S package because of the sport hood and the fender flares. Were those extra options that could be put on the basic model?
Miriam

·
Registered
396 Posts
Nope. Becky has an L model, or LS as she likes to call it now. She liked the look of the hoodscoop so she bought the S model hood with scoop and had the dealer paint it to match her Rav. She fools alot of people with that Rav of hers. If she gets the S roof rack, the only way to tell it was originally an L is to go inside and feel the heated leather or check out her factory grill. Which, if I remember right, she was planning on changing to an S model grill as well. :?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yep, I admit it, I can occasionally be hard to please. :D I wanted the best of both Rav worlds! :wink:

If she gets the S roof rack, the only way to tell it was originally an L is to go inside and feel the heated leather or check out her factory grill.
LOL! There were a couple reasons I got an L rather than the Sport. When I was Rav shopping I had a choice of two that I located that were not base models and did have manual transmission: a Sport from John Elway Toyota in Denver or the L at Herb Chambers in Boston, priced similarly. BUT, the Sport didn't have side airbags that I really wanted. So that was the first reason. The other reason was that I figured it would be cheaper to add the Sport stuff I wanted to an L than it would to add the L stuff I wanted to a Sport. There's a number of things the '04 L came with that the Sport didn't. If I had gotten the Sport, I would've had to have the bumpers and side moldings painted and blended. The cost of that in combination with the other options I would have to add to a Sport I figured would be equal to or more than what I did to the L to make it Sport-like (primarily the hood). Oh, and I REALLY wanted to go to Boston!!! I guess that's a third reason! :lol:

It's true though, now that they have the mesh grill I will be getting the Sport grill too. I've always liked the idea of a mesh grill but I'm never completely sure about aftermarket parts like that. This way I know it fits exactly with no hassle, and the price is not half bad. I like the Sport rack because it's silver (sort of) and I'm going for a blue and silver thing, and because it's more substantial-looking than the skinny regular rack.

I guess I just like to keep people guessing...it looks like a Sport, but wait...it's got color keyed trim.... Also, and this is really conflicting but there you go, I like an OEM look but I don't like to have a look that anyone else has. It makes sense...sort of. :wink:

Anyway, I do like the idea of having blinkers in the mirrors, so it would be cool if you would post info when you do the mod. If they have them for other Toyotas, Ricky might be interested in getting them for his 4Runner too!

Becky

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Becky J. said:
I do like the idea of having blinkers in the mirrors, so it would be cool if you would post info when you do the mod. If they have them for other Toyotas, Ricky might be interested in getting them for his 4Runner too!
They've got them for 4Runners and 2001+ RAV4s. I got a set for my 1996 RAV4 back when the MUTH site was doing the 4.1 model close-out sale 8) I get lots of comments about how well people see them. http://www.kwmuth.com Last time I visited the MUTH site, they had a free PDF download showing the installation instructions.

PS - FWIW... this thread has now been completely highjacked from roof rack topic to signal mirrors. :roll: :wink:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Back to the roof rack

I just picked up my 05 Sport last night. Yea baby, yea! It is very nice. So Becky, I will probably be interested in swapping the rack with you. I want to get used to the vehicle first, which means probably a month or so. I love the idea of a trade. First things first though. I want to get fog lamps but the dealer is saying it'll be a big pain, as in $2500 pain to get them. Looks like aftermarket. I'll submit another post on it.

Scott G.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Kelly Smith said:
Becky J. said:
I do like the idea of having blinkers in the mirrors, so it would be cool if you would post info when you do the mod. If they have them for other Toyotas, Ricky might be interested in getting them for his 4Runner too!
They've got them for 4Runners and 2001+ RAV4s. I got a set for my 1996 RAV4 back when the MUTH site was doing the 4.1 model close-out sale 8) I get lots of comments about how well people see them. http://www.kwmuth.com Last time I visited the MUTH site, they had a free PDF download showing the installation instructions.

PS - FWIW... this thread has now been completely highjacked from roof rack topic to signal mirrors. :roll: :wink:
So, Kelly, did you install them yourself? Hard? Wondering who I could get to install them myself when I get them. Dealer maybe?

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Slayer said:
So, Kelly, did you install them yourself? Hard? Wondering who I could get to install them myself when I get them. Dealer maybe?
Yeah, I installed them myself. I'd rate the install a 7 on a difficulty scale fo 1-10. The PDF instructions sheet was a GREAT help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts