Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, has anyone removed their quarter holder (pictured below) and swapped in a usb/aux input switch? I'm upgrading my head unit and will have outputs to wire such a switch. On my car, the switch plates are to the left of the steering wheel and an inconvenient place to stow your phone. I thought this would be a better idea with the center storage area so close. I'm going with a switch that has a usb + rca input with the usb for 2.1a charging.

Anyone done this and have pics to share? Gonna attempt next weekend when the switch and new head unit come in the mail :)

Attachments

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I'm already rocking one of these, but the idea is to get the best of both worlds. With an AUX+USB, I can plug into the aux and play my phone through my head unit and have an additional 2.1a USB port for charging another phone. My old head unit (AVN30D) didn't support an auxiliary connection and my new one (AVN5500) does, so I'm gonna do a custom setup for it. If I had an 04/05, I would take advatange of the switches plates near the cupholders, but our 01-03's don't have them located there. Instead, we have a crappy cubby hole for sunglasses lol All that said, the change holders sucks and just rattle your change around when full, so I'll use that switch vacancy to my advantage. I'll update with pics when completed :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Understand.
When I first got my 2017 Limited I saw a number of posts for changing out the "cigarette Lighter" power outlet to a USB plug. Then I found these and that let me close the dust covers with them plugged in and about the same price plus just plug them in and still have the original power plugs if needed.

Thanks
KenK

1 - 4 of 4 Posts