Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some new sway bar bushings, but they didn't come with any instrtuctions and I want to make sure i'm putting them in right... not sure which side the aluminum threaded nuts are supposed to go, towards the part that rotates or by the outside nut?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,604 Posts
Maybe it's a jam nut? From Wikipedia:

A jam nut is a low profile type of nut, typically half as tall as a standard nut. It is commonly used as a type of locknut, where it is "jammed" up against a standard nut to lock the two in place. It is also used in situations where a standard nut would not fit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello, I'm gonna do the same thing in a 2008 RAV4.3 the next week (bars are coming from customs). I found this Youtube video where you can see the replacement step by step. It's made in a latest Toyota RAV4.2, but I'm quite sure the procedure is the same...

Good luck!

P.S.: Why are you changing them?. I'm doing it because I can hear an irregular "clunk" sound sometimes when i'm driving through small bumps or holes in a dirt country road that appears to come from the front left stabilizer. And a friend of mine agreed with the diagnostic... it's that your case?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm doing it cus the repair shop we use told me that it needs to be done... for 900! So i'm doing it myself for 3... just hope its right!

And I do believe that it probably is the a jam nut after reading up on them. I'm going to have to take it back off because I put the aluminum nut on the back, figuring I had a 50/50 chance of being right!

Thanks for everyone's replies.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't believe those are sway bar bushings. Those are sway bar linkages. You may want to change the title of this thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't believe those are sway bar bushings. Those are sway bar linkages. You may want to change the title of this thread.
True after I did some checking on this topic, you may want to change title as these are sway bar linlages and not bushings. When I asked for how to for bushings it directed me here and these are not bushings. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts